Changing from hub motor to mid drive

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It's a pukka product mate. I have one in case of hub motor wheel punctures Check out the reviews on Amazon.
I wasn't taking the Michael. Just never seen them before. If they work it's a great idea. Would save time on any bike.. I hate removing back wheel on any derailer type bike..especially in horrible weather.

Reactions: vidtek and Waspy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I hate removing back wheel on any derailer type bike.
Hub gear back wheels can be even worse.

We've used Gaadi, very good. They seem to be fat for their nominal width; I'd go for one size down in future.

• Informative
Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I hate removing back wheel on any derailer type bike..especially in horrible weather.
Even when in the trade I never removed a wheel to repair a puncture. Just take out the tube on the opposite side to the chain and patch it.

I often dont even take a wheel out to change a tube or even a tyre. Just remove the left wheel nut and use a bit of muscle:

Tube Change Foot method.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Zlatan

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have never had an issue repairing a puncture on a rear hub wheel. Before I used the Gaadi's , I would simply either lay the bike over and repair the puncture in situ , simply remove the tyre form one side and find the hole to repair also not forgetting to check the tyre for alien ojects. Other times I would simply disconnect the motor connector and remove the wheel, Gaadi's though now make it easier for me.

Some folks just look for excuses to diss hubs over mid drive.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are easy to find tho.
Depends where one lives. If I lived in the very flat Netherlands I would do like almost everyone else there and ride hub motor to gain from the reliability and ease of low cost repair etc.

Peak District or parts of Scotland and North Wales I'd choose crank drive or say sod it and drive instead.

• :D
Reactions: vidtek and Zlatan

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Looks like an April fool product?
???
Have you used one??
It's a real product and it's very good.

I had my (normal) tubes filled with slime, but a big jagged bit of glass was too much for the slime to cope with. A miserable time changing the (normal) tube by the side of a busy dual carriageway.
I've now gone the Gaadi way and the one puncture I've had since was very easy to deal with.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and esuark

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
I was all set to buy a couple of these Gaadi inner tubes, but looking at the reviews on Amazon, it seems the quality control is virtually nonexistent. Many people have been let down by them straight out of the packet. Are there any other manufacturers that are better?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are easy to find tho.
Reason being I suspect is that not many vendors have clue how to fault or repair them.
The mid drives are simply returned back to the dealer if in warranty and one suspects that we simply don't hear of these because they are dealt with under warranty.

Captain Nick

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2023
Some folks just look for excuses to diss hubs over mid drive.
Don't get me wrong, the hub motor is great on relatively level ground but going up very steep hills especially with a 48T chain ring it's next to useless. I've stalled the motor a couple of times doing this.

While I haven't had to repair a puncture on the road (yet), I have had to do it at home, and even in a well equipped situation it's still an absolute nightmare. It would be much better if the motor cable had a disconnect point near the hub but it doesn't.

Anyway I have ordered the Bafang and I plan to fit it in a couple of weeks time. If anyone fancies riding around their private estate at 45km/h, I'll soon have a hub motor for sale pretty cheap

Reactions: Zlatan and jimriley