Charging problem - Raleigh Array - Suntour battery and motor

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Update on this problem - Raleigh are still promising a solution to the problem
However, it appears that I was the first to register a formal complaint. Since then several (dunno what that means but more than 5 or 6 I would think) have been sent back so this is a real problem and not just me!

Personally the LBS have been wonderful in keeping up the pressure on Raleigh - although Raleigh have reacted much better than many companies would have. I have reached an arrangement with Raleigh that helps out everyone and means that the LBS does not lose out - so I am happy.

If you have a problem like this, make sure that it is raised with Raleigh via whoever you bought it from. It is a proper design fault so they have to sort it out. You may have to keep up the pressure without being nasty about it - then start talking about asking for your money back if they don;t offer a proper solution within a reasonable time frame.

Terry Spaniel Man

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2016
I've reported the battery connector issue to Raleigh as well. I have considered installing a battery connector in the output lead and leaving the Suntour connector permanently screwed in, as a 'dongle'. Anyone else tried this ?
Also, I noticed verdigris on the battery cradle and battery terminals. Fortunately this was light and washed off with lemon juice. The bottom battery cradle allows water to gather and has caused electrical problems. I have drilled four holes in the side of the cradle which, hopefully, will allow the water to drain away. I have also started to remove the battery from the bike after I've been out in the rain.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
It looks like Raleigh have switched the charger to one that connects to the port on the bottom of the battery - where it connects to the bike.
This is a much more robust socket - and should fix the problem

although anyone buying one should check they get the new type and not the old type from old stock - especially from some online retainers that seem to keep selling old models well after everyone else has replaced them!

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
It looks like Raleigh have switched the charger to one that connects to the port on the bottom of the battery - where it connects to the bike.
This is a much more robust socket - and should fix the problem

although anyone buying one should check they get the new type and not the old type from old stock - especially from some online retainers that seem to keep selling old models well after everyone else has replaced them!
I can confirm that too, i went into Evans Cycles this week and they explained(even drew me a drawing) of what the charger connection looked like, it wasn't the screw and pin design of previous gen, unfortunately they'd sold the last Raleigh Array that same day hence had to draw a picture of the charger connection, but it confirms they have updated it.

Terry Spaniel Man

Apr 8, 2016
I've tried to get some sensible response from Raleigh, I'll keep trying. They did send me a link showing available Raleigh Suntour parts, here's the link https://raleigh.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006432697-Raleigh-Array-2019-2020-Suntour-Part-Codes
I'm assuming part #
Direct Battery terminal Charger
Part code WSUCHR03
is the one that is being referred to?
Has anybody get a better picture or description. Raleigh Helpdesk just tell me to order it. I'd prefer to do a bit more due diligence first.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I've tried to get some sensible response from Raleigh, I'll keep trying. They did send me a link showing available Raleigh Suntour parts, here's the link https://raleigh.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006432697-Raleigh-Array-2019-2020-Suntour-Part-Codes
I'm assuming part #
Direct Battery terminal Charger
Part code WSUCHR03
is the one that is being referred to?
Has anybody get a better picture or description. Raleigh Helpdesk just tell me to order it. I'd prefer to do a bit more due diligence first.
That looks way better than the one mine had
I suggest going to a shop that has them in stock and having a look - if you are honest about why you want to go they should be helpful - if you are anything like me you will end up buying something while you are there - maybe they can even order it for you as well.

Terry Spaniel Man

Apr 8, 2016
That looks way better than the one mine had
I suggest going to a shop that has them in stock and having a look - if you are honest about why you want to go they should be helpful - if you are anything like me you will end up buying something while you are there - maybe they can even order it for you as well.
I should have added that Raleigh advise these parts will not be available until 21/08/20

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I should have added that Raleigh advise these parts will not be available until 21/08/20
Hmmm
OK - good point - I was not aware of that

When I had my problems last year , after they sorted it all out for me I sent them an email thanking them for their help. I received a reply which included the following paragraph
"We do have to look at situations and resolve to what is best for the consumer and dealer, we have since took delivery of a new charger that fits to the bottom of the battery it looks the same as the battery mount on the frame it is simple to use and will cause no further issue. "

That was last December

So I think the parts SHOULD be available - unless there has bee a delay in manufacturing due to the Virus stuff and its effect on the factories.

I say again that I would be wary of ordering an Array from some of the online retailers that always seem to have last season's stock - they may still have the old connectors on the chargers

Terry Spaniel Man

Apr 8, 2016
Hmmm
OK - good point - I was not aware of that

When I had my problems last year , after they sorted it all out for me I sent them an email thanking them for their help. I received a reply which included the following paragraph
"We do have to look at situations and resolve to what is best for the consumer and dealer, we have since took delivery of a new charger that fits to the bottom of the battery it looks the same as the battery mount on the frame it is simple to use and will cause no further issue. "

That was last December

So I think the parts SHOULD be available - unless there has bee a delay in manufacturing due to the Virus stuff and its effect on the factories.

I say again that I would be wary of ordering an Array from some of the online retailers that always seem to have last season's stock - they may still have the old connectors on the chargers
Did they say how much the charger would cost ? I've been quoted £124.99 for WSUCHR03.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Did they say how much the charger would cost ? I've been quoted £124.99 for WSUCHR03.
My first thought when I saw this post was 'just Google it'
so I did
can;t find one!!

which is a bit weird - I would have thought things like this would be one the Raleigh web site. Especially as chargers are often something people would want a spare of - for example - one in work and one at home

Anyway - can't help - I suggest that you ring up a local Raleigh dealer and ask them

Terry Spaniel Man

Apr 8, 2016
I did visit my local dealer and he couldn't find it either. I spoke to a fellow cyclist who owns a Carrera (Halfords own brand). His bike is identical to my Raleigh (I kid you not), his direct battery charger came as standard.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
I did visit my local dealer and he couldn't find it either. I spoke to a fellow cyclist who owns a Carrera (Halfords own brand). His bike is identical to my Raleigh (I kid you not), his direct battery charger came as standard.
so maybe someone with a Raleigh could get a new charger from Halfords??
as far as them being identical is concerned - the battery and drive system may be the same but is the frame and other stuff??
I did try both out about a year ago and the Raleigh felt better to me - but that may be just me

batteryman####

Just Joined
Oct 24, 2020
I've just spent half an hour trying to get the charger plug into the battery socket but I think I've found the solution to the worst design ever. Inside the plug at the end of the charger cable are the three fragile pins, surrounded by a rubber sleeve which is also inside the plug. From the outside, the plug has a black plastic part and a silvery metallic collar with a thread on it. You have to pull the silvery collar in towards the cable; if you do this, the pins can then fit into the socket and you can screw the collar into the socket to make the connection firm. It's still fiddly but now possible.

Hope this helps

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Makes sense - that is the sort of thing I was having problems with.
The main point to me is that every other ebike I have had (which is several) you could put the battery on charge with boxing gloves on - this expects far too much care and concentration.

However, as I THINK I have said somewhere above - they seems to have a solution to the problem where you have a different charger that plugs into the socket that normally connects the battery to the bike
I would suggest contacting the place you bought it from - or Raleigh directly - you may be able to get a replacement charger which will solve the problem