Cheap Action Camera

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some of the clones are quite good for a fraction of the price, I paid £23 for a new compact M10, branded with the Qumox name with SJCAM software so really a clone of a clone and it works great.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I was so tempted but then I thought I'd only be posting boring videos on here cluttering up the pages.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
you done well there nealh my qumox was £54 recently bought another battery *charger from fleabay £8.
also found the cycle handlebar mount supplied pointed the camera left or right and not forward. purchased another set of mounts including chest strap for £8 flea bay.

ps also pointed out aldi deal yesterday

local camera shop has go pro clones but are £80 not sure of brand name

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
im thinking of getting this one,
its about £40 with all the attachments included or £25-30 with just the waterproof case

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
im thinking of getting this one,
its about £40 with all the attachments included or £25-30 with just the waterproof case
Nooooo!
I had one and it was shhh#te, I had issues with not wanting to format and then bigger issues with it filming. In the end I binned it as it was a bad buy.

• Disagree
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Turnigy one like all other similar ones is a Gopro clone, for the money a good cheap buy that will do the job. Handy as all accessories are compatable just make sure any extra batteries will fit.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
received my aldi nat geo action cam, today, well pleased loads of accessories,
even has a base attatechement 100mm x 100mm with sticky feet with descent charger and small 4gig sd card
well worth the money
batteryn on charge will try it out later

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I've had several action cameras, though I could never justify the expense of a genuine gopro.

In the past few weeks I've just bought the best one I've had so far, a "Git 2" by Gitup (yes, stupid name, I know...)

It was £105 from a UK ebay seller.

It has the best built-in digital stablisation I've ever seen, much better than my previous Sony AS30V. It really smooths out the jerkiness in handlebar or helmet mounted bike videos. It even gives smooth videos while walking.

It's exactly the same size as the GoPro 3/4, so can take advantage of the huge third party accessory market for things like waterproof cases, shells, and mounts.

I'm into radio control flying too, and it has live video out for FPV, and is even lighter than the gopro.

http://www.gitup.com/en/

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
does it do 2k at 60fps tho? nope 24fps in 2k:(

i just want a 4k 60fps action cam and dont make them?

Last edited:

OldPedaller

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2011
Bought a Qumox SJ4000 from Amazon in January and find it excellent.

I found I didn't keep my head still enough to get good watchable results from a helmet mount and now use the chest mount strap - ratcheting it high up on the chest. (Interesting to see how quickly drivers slow down in Germany when they see you have a camera pointing at them! And if you go the extra step and pretend that you are pushing a button on it, you see the brake lights flare!!).

I find the battery lasts around an hour continuous, so take several spares on a ride. The only annoyance about this is that you have to reset the date and time whenever you swap the batteries out.

On medium video quality setting, a 32GB SD card will hold around 3 hours of recording (= 3 batteries-worth).

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Old Pedaller the solution is not more batteries, but a nice portable External Battery or Power Bank . I use an OMAKER 5200 mAh in a top pocket and feed the lead into my SJ Cam M10 mounted high up on a chest mount . The OMAKER is a work of art in rubberised black and yellow and will last for hours . Luckily the SJCams are able to be charged while filming, unlike my earlier mini cam that stopped recording when charging . You won`t have to keep replacing the Action Camera batteries and resetting the date then .
I tried the M10 on the head and handlebars , both too jerky and the chest mount is best .I tend to film these days on my Motorcycle and Scooters and the chest mount is excellent with the handlebars and instruments adding interest at the bottom of the picture . I initially put the M10 in it`s waterproof housing but found a small point of non- sharpness in the centre distance of the picture in certain frames . The picture without using the waterproof housing is pin sharp throughout . The OMAKER is also handy for charging my Smartphone as well .
Initially I downloaded my recordings straight from the M10 to my Laptop, but now put the 32 GB Class 10 SanDisk micro SDHC Card into an EasyAcc USB 3.0 Card Reader , which is much quicker to download . The recordings in my car are very good too , but you tend to see the reflection of the top of the dashboard , depending on the Sun and lighting conditions .
When I purchased the SJCam M10 18 months ago it had just come out and there were no`fakes` of this model when compared with the SJCam 4000 of which there were plenty at the time . I gather that some of the `fakes`were pretty good though . I paid about £15 extra for the wireless version , but have so far not used this facility .

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I got one for a m8, but noticed same seller now has a 4k wi fi vertion that takes a 64gig micro card ordered that one for myself £32 ish
forgot to mention has 2 inch lcd rather than 1.5

Last edited:

Ninjajebus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2015
Wow! that's seriously cheap for a 4k Wi-Fi camera! Let me know how it works out.
I would be particularly interested if there was a cheap Wi-Fi switch you could buy for it (would be great for kayaking)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
4k@ 15fps is worse than useless :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems