Cheap Lipo4 from China

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Well, I also have a Li-Polymer pouch 13Amp that I purchased from Andy of Oxygen bikes and a cracking battery it is but the cheap one from China seems every bit as powerful and mileage eating so far.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The smart thing to do is get a supply of the cells and weld them into a battery of your own.

I have a tab welder.

I made two batteries, one is a 24v 9Ah rated, the other is 24v 11Ah rated.

You can get the batteries in small quantities to avoid the customs, and build up your supply over time.

As for the completed Duct-Tape batteries, they are good, but have to combine large capacities with their low C rate in order to get any performance.
Yeh! no one is knocking making your own battery up if you are so inclined but you do still have to source a decent charger and BMS and when you add it all up plus the time involved it has to be a labour of love and that`s fine if that`s what floats your boat but this thread is about an affordable battery pack complete with bms and charger for the masses that either can`t or won`t be bothered to spend time at the bench when they could be riding:D

You could probably start up a good business supplying top class batteries. What cases have you used to fit them into? or do you reuse your original?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
BTW forgot to mention, ordered on a Wednesday and received the battery 2 weeks later by parcel force, well packaged and with no charges (Onmebike didn`t have any charges either.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Old Timer - I have sent an e-mail asking them to make the pack flatter and more suitable for rack mounting - just hope they tie the two things together - the order placed earlier in the day and the e-mail.

ELECTRIC AVENUES

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2010
I'm sure that is true but they are also substantially more expensive - to the point that I wouldn't have been able to justify buying one for the project I'm looking at. Maybe that was Old Timer's situation as well?:)
That is true.....Pings batteries are expensive. In fact, relatively speaking, they are sufficiently pricey to mean that if you have any money at all to spend you are as well off going beyond Ping LiFePo4 and into the realm of A123. In for a penny, in for a pound.

I can build you a battery if you have loose cells. I am in Ireland.

ELECTRIC AVENUES

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2010
Well, I also have a Li-Polymer pouch 13Amp that I purchased from Andy of Oxygen bikes and a cracking battery it is but the cheap one from China seems every bit as powerful and mileage eating so far.
The real test is going to be how many cycles you knock out of it, unfortunately it is impossible, obviously, to determine that so early on.

LiPo is more powerful than LiFePo4 in terms of power-weight, but A123 when paralleled in large enough groups is seriously powerful.

20Ah of 1C cheap LiFePo4 is good for 20Amps, at only 24v that is still well over a half-horsepower.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Old Timer - I have sent an e-mail asking them to make the pack flatter and more suitable for rack mounting - just hope they tie the two things together - the order placed earlier in the day and the e-mail.
They should connect the two if you put the details on the E mail and I make you right to make the battery flat for rack fitting. I E mailed them twice about other things and they replied both times. Although we speak different languages I`ve always found the Chinese to be right on top of the game.
I`m sure these batteries will be fine, you might not have been a member when I wrote that my son had been to China on a buying trip for his engineering company and witnessed several production lines under one roof making the same products for different companies and packaging them differently although they were basically the same products (I`d better not mention the names on them but they spanned the top to the bottom of the UK price range made in the same place from same materials.)
There are different grades in products (we all know that) but I`ve always said that in general people would not set up a plant to make really poor items ( I`m talking engineering and electrical type of stuff) there will always be the exception of course and thats where these forums come in.
Let us know how it goes

Dave

ELECTRIC AVENUES

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2010
The Chinese Duct-Tape people have come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years, it has to be said, and their communications have improved no end.

I bought two of their batteries- heavy blighters, but they both worked and both provided a lot of power.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
As we are digressing a little. I'll ask "Electric Avenues" - or anyone else come to that :) - any ideas for re-celling an Ezee battery pack?

I am well aware that the stock answer is that it can't be done. However I have always thought that surely it is only a box and should be able to accommodate cells of whatever type. If cells to the value of 36v, 10a can't be squeezed in then couldn't a small aux pack be made up to piggy back it?

Thanks, Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
However I have always thought that surely it is only a box and should be able to accommodate cells of whatever type. If cells to the value of 36v, 10a can't be squeezed in then couldn't a small aux pack be made up to piggy back it?
That's the point Dave, the case is only a box so low value. For an example from the past, an eZee NiMh battery, same case, cost £200 new in 2006/2007. To re-cell it needed 30 top quality tagless cells which retailed at around £8 to £9 each at the time, so at least £240 to recell, which in any case was particularly difficult with that cell type and case.

As for cells of any type with lithium, they must be compatible with the existing BMS or that would have to be replaced as well.

LiFePO4 cells are larger for a given capacity and current delivery so haven't been able to go into an existing case normally, but that shows signs of changing.

Auxilliary packs of any chemistry and piggy-backed are practical and many of us have done it. Mixing types can mean the need for isolation diodes which normally entail slight voltage losses, but virtual diode lossless circuits are possible as described by Tiberius in this forum.

A practical alternative to attempting recelling is to just buy a cheap alternative battery from another bike maker who prices them much lower. Thirty-seven volt lithium batteries range from about £200 to £600. There's some risk in doing that of course, but some cheaper batteries have been proving to be not too bad to date. In some instances the whole content of a cheaper lithium battery could be swapped into your existing case with connections re-made.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Pings battery will be lighter, as it is made from pouch cells. Pings build quality is also better.
And yet, curiously Ping and Old Timer's suppliers quote almost exactly the same dimensions for the same spec of battery.

Weight:5.50 kg ( 12.3 lbs)
Dimension:220x105x150 mm ( 8.7x4.2x5.9 inch )

And from Ping

Light Weight: 5.6 kg / 12.3 lbs
Small Size: 225x105x150 mm / 8.9x4.1x5.9 inches

That led me to think that the individual cells are very similar if not identical.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Li Ping's batteries have prove to be very reliable to date and his support service is good. I suspect that some of the price difference is due to the obvious care that goes into his production and his personal attention to customers.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Are you sure about that? Aren't they the same Prismatic (rectangular) LiFePo cells that Li Ping uses? Or was this an earlier version?
It seems you were right. another email to the seller requesting a photo of the cells used clearly shows pouches , not cylindrical cells as he first advised me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
It seems you were right. another email to the seller requesting a photo of the cells used clearly shows pouches , not cylindrical cells as he first advised me.

Isn`t this better though? I thought these pouches were later technology and therefore makes the battery not old hat at all?

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
I'd be interested to know what dimensions their "flat" version for rack mounting is.

Colin

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I'd be interested to know what dimensions their "flat" version for rack mounting is.

Colin
E mail him, he will answer you. I seem to remember him saying he could make almost any shape.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
As soon as I get an e-mail back from him I'll post the information.

I have asked him what size the new configuration will be.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Thanks.:)
As I don't know whether I want one, or where to fit it if I do get one, I'd rather possibly waste your time rather than the guy that builds them. He can be making your battery instead of taking time out to answer my email asking the same question as you.:D

Colin

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Once charged and left alone for at least 24hrs the battery seems to settle on 40.7V for those interested.