Cold

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
The spikes are not massive, the protrude about 2-3mm out of the tread pattern, the rubber is still in contact with the road surface all the time, Ice and frost and corners handle really well. the Humber bridge was a solid sheet of ice on Tuesday with two hairpins at each end, this tire did well, plus the normal riding on tarmac including normal cornering is fine. I'm impressed with it like I say is sounds like im on gravel regardless of the surface.

Ironically I came off my bike this morning on black ice cornering at the bottom of a steep hill. I couldn't have been doing any more that 7 mph but boy did it hurt. At least the back of the bike was unscathed because my hip cushioned it. I'm going to have one heck of a bruise in a couple of days. I'm also going to get a set of those tyres.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Burncycle,
How weird!?! I do the same as you, from the clothing right down to the 12miles to and from work! However, I'm finding the cold is going right through the Aldi winter gloves, which is no fun at all.

Has anybody tried out those heated gloves? I bought a pair from Netto once that didn't work at all.

Seeker
Hi there !
I bought some Milano waterproof gloves, which stay very warm throughout.

MILANO Waterproof Cycling Glove reflective with Aerotex :: £19.56 :: CLOTHING RANGE :: Gloves Winter Thermal :: Southwater Cycles

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
I was going to do a 18 miler today but it was so cold and I'd forgotten my gloves, I turned back after 3 miles or so...

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
I was going to do a 18 miler today but it was so cold and I'd forgotten my gloves, I turned back after 3 miles or so...
Yeah, I turned back as well, got to the first corner and the ice took over. SPLAT. Nothing hurt but my pride and as I live in the sticks there were no spectators. Annoyingly I have about 3 miles of ungritted country roads then 18 miles of ice free roads so not sure I want to use spiked tyres.

BM

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
One for Flecc and others with Raynauld's...

I put a gel handwarmer in each glove this morning, so that it was across the back of my hand, at the base of my fingers, and it made a big difference as although my fingers were still uncomfortably cold after about 30 minutes, they were a long way from being white. The next plan is to use mittens instead, so that I can put the handwarmers directly over my fingers, but it's proving to be difficult finding any mittens locally, so I may go for some Burton ones on eBay.

As an aside, a friend came over the other day on his motorbike. He's been riding for over an hour without gloves and when I shook his hand, it was hot - not warm, and certainly warmer than mine and I was warm and cosy indoors. So when some people say 'this glove is great' I'm afraid it means very little if your fingers get cold in anything below 20ºC.

I have tried hats, layers, thermals, etc but the only thing that works is a source of heat.

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
One for Flecc and others with Raynauld's...

I have tried hats, layers, thermals, etc but the only thing that works is a source of heat.
Are you going out hot? If you go out with cold hands, they wont warm up on an ebike very easily. I use hot toast and coffee, followed by good warm clothing (i use ski\mountaineering gloves for temperatures about zero). For long rides porridge is good :)

Its different on a normal bike as you do more work, usually the first hill gets me sweating. You can simulate this on a kalkhoff by turning the power to eco!

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I'm afraid I've tried all that to no avail, both on my ebike, a conventional bike, a motorbike and just generally being outdoors. Porridge is a necessity!

Simply rinsing my warm hands under cold water for five seconds can be enough to trigger it, or holding something cold for a couple of seconds, etc - temperatures don't have to be anywhere near zero.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have tried hand warmers and always go out cycling in pre-warmed gloves in cold weather, but nothing stops the fingers rapidly deteriorating to no circulation. You're right that heat inputted is the answer Nick, but I need it's input around the finger ends and toes. I find that a warm central hand with loss of finger circulation is actually more painful during the recovery than if the whole hand is cold.

For me the least painful recovery afterwards is soaking the hands in luke warm water, but from this winter on I've abandoned any real length of cycling in weather below 10 degrees C in still air or with windchill. In my seventies and retired it's just not worth the hassle, so from now I'm a very short distance cyclist when it's cold, mainly keeping cycling for better weather. In retirement it is supposed to be a pleasure after all, so this solution solves the problem for me.

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I've tended to shy away from it before Flecc - the cold, that is - but am trying to find a workaround this winter. If I can get hold of some decent mittens and use the handwarmers so they are right over the ends of my fingers, I may have found a way - I'll let you know!

Give me heat any day!

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Im still cycling to work every night and morning.
I have only found one morning when it was a bit unbearable.
The day when it was freezing fog when coming home.
By the time I got home I had ice all over my jacket, acroos my snood and across my helmet.
Now the weather is getting colder I'm having to put the bike in ECO mode and work myself harder to keep warm.
I start off in high power though cus you can get too sweaty if not.

I think the UK has been lucky though, as we have not had that much rain yet.

Regards Bob.