Conversion kit for my Brompton

OrangeM6L

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2020
this is the HL kit for the Brompton:

The HL kit is particularly easy to fit, it should take less than 1 hour and requires only a crank puller beside a set of allen keys.

The small frog kit is a bit smaller, but I am still waiting for a new controller to arrive later this week.
this is the HL kit for the Brompton:

The HL kit is particularly easy to fit, it should take less than 1 hour and requires only a crank puller beside a set of allen keys.

The small frog kit is a bit smaller, but I am still waiting for a new controller to arrive later this week.
Thanks Woosh, I’ll be interested
I prefer the small frog kit that hangs on the seat post.
You can see the attachment on the seat post.
That's where the battery base is bolted to.
It's also the easiest kit to fit. Easier than the HL kit.
You also get a free rear light built into the small frog battery.
what will be the expected range for the 13AH small frog kit?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks Woosh, I’ll be interested

what will be the expected range for the 13AH small frog kit?
13AH is roughly 470WH. As there is no throttle, you'll get good 40 miles out of a full charge.
It's enough for a full day riding and the battery is locked, you can leave the bike parked at a public place.
That's why I started the project with the small frog kit.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Do please show some pictures of the setup with the frog battery on the luggage block once the new controllers arrive. The above looks like a tidy, practical solution but aesthetically it doesn’t work for me. Sorry.
+1

Reactions: OrangeM6L

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
I like the position of the battery, I think it’s way to big (for my usage), is there any chance of a battery about half the size and half the capacity mounted to the frame like that?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Julie,

I am looking at some small form factor battery cases.
The earliest is in October.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Hi Julie,

I am looking at some small form factor battery cases.
The earliest is in October.
I think now that 36v tool batteries are commonly available with 6Ah at only 1.3kg they would be ideal slotted onto the Brompton luggage mounting block via an adaptor that would ideally hold the controller. A lower tech (and cheaper) version of the ARCC kit which looks great but is so expensive.

Reactions: Woosh

OrangeM6L

May 25, 2020
I think now that 36v tool batteries are commonly available with 6Ah at only 1.3kg they would be ideal slotted onto the Brompton luggage mounting block via an adaptor that would ideally hold the controller. A lower tech (and cheaper) version of the ARCC kit which looks great but is so expensive.
i agree, the Oregon battery 6ah is pretty compact and at £150 +£45 for the charger that is pretty attractive, and affordable to have two for longer journeys. In all honesty that is a strong positive for the Nano system, and if it weren’t for the fork adjustment I think I would be going with them. I like the sound of the Q70 motor that Woosh are proposing as it requires no fork adjustment so it will be interesting to see their smaller battery proposal(s).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I could sell the kit minus the battery may be from September for £299.

Greenrun

Jun 13, 2019
Hi Woosh and all, I am interested in your Brompton kit but am i correct in thinking that one reason why the official Brompton Electric bike is so expensive is because their system incorporates a torque sensor in the crank and so does this smooth the power delivery to the wheel? I currently have a Brompton which I would like to convert but do not want to replicate the sort of crude power delivery response that i get on my 2018 Seago.

Thanks. G

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
am i correct in thinking that one reason why the official Brompton Electric bike is so expensive is because their system incorporates a torque sensor in the crank and so does this smooth the power delivery to the wheel?
Brompton sells through distribution channels so the retail price includes margin for the shops.
Torque sensor gives you a different riding experience, that's all.
My TS kit is also available for the Brompton from next week.
It's also very easy to fit.

Reactions: OrangeM6L

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'm certainly not knocking your kit, Woosh, it sounds very good. However, to casually say that torque sensing merely gives a different riding experience is an over-simplification. Done properly, torque sensing provides an instant feed of power in relation to the amount of power the rider is providing. Cadence sensing feeds in the power a little later and in relation to the pre-selected settings the rider has chosen. The latter is much less sophisticated. Horses for courses though, and cadence sensing suits many, particularly with budget in mind.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Being a merchant, I am pretty neutral on the subject TS/CS and crank/hub.
I do sell more CS and hub so it's natural that I repeat some of their advantages.
I'll post some pictures of the Brompton fitted with the TS kit tomorrow.
You can buy it from next month.

Reactions: Julie

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Horses for courses though, and cadence sensing suits many, particularly with budget in mind.
I agree with most of what you say; but there is an extra important reason for cadence for those with any kind of condition that can mean they really want help from the motor with minimal effort on their part.

Reactions: Julie

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What I would like to know is how the TS hub kits actually deliver there power in % terms compared to the likes of Bosch etc ,etc.
I have seen the Woosh TS chain ring kits and the TS BB Bafang kits with ext controller both for hubs.

I remember d8veh saying that they weren't much cop for hubs.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My TS kit has a built in 15A controller.
Some Bosch motors pull more than 15A.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I agree with most of what you say; but there is an extra important reason for cadence for those with any kind of condition that can mean they really want help from the motor with minimal effort on their part.
I'd say that my Bosch-powered Cube would do just that on the Sport or Turbo setting the instant pressure is applied to the pedals and thereafter. With CS there is a delay before the power kicks in making uphill starts trickier than with TS. There is the caveat that I am not disabled, so can't really relate to the experience.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Greenrun

Jun 13, 2019
I'd say that my Bosch-powered Cube would do just that on the Sport or Turbo setting the instant pressure is applied to the pedals and thereafter. With CS there is a delay before the power kicks in making uphill starts trickier than with TS. There is the caveat that I am not disabled, so can't really relate to the experience.
I agree Warwick re the CS sensor. My experience on my wifes Seago is that there seems to be a slight but awkward delay in the pedal turning to the application of power. The pedals just act like a switch but there is no consideration as to how fast or slow they are turning. Also the 5 speed/power settings are too severe. This makes negotiating bollards or crossing road junctions quite difficult. If I electrify my Brompton I would want a more gradual and smooth application of the power assistance which i would hope the TS sensor and associated electronics would provide. Perhaps this is something that can only be achieved with a crank based motor system? To be fair I have not tried the Brompton Electric yet.