Help! Conversion kit help

Mattmoon

Just Joined
Nov 21, 2020
Hello everyone,

I wanted to make my first electric bike. I decided to buy a conversion kit and go for 500w 36V engine. However, I am not sure if the battery I would like to buy (52V) will work with this motor.
The motor I'd like to buy is this one (front): https://amzn.to/2INRNj3
And that's the battery I'd like to have: https://amzn.to/3pNagg9 Its this one as I would like to have something with a really long range so I though the biggest battery will be the best option.

Stay safe,
Matt

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I would keep well away from that kit. The listing shows three completely different motors, but I'm going to assume that it's the direct drive motor shown in the first picture. The listing doesn't include the motor RPM, which is the most important characteristic you need to choose a motor

The controller looks huge. I don't believe that's the one that they're going to supply. Normally, you get a 9 FET 22 amp controller with those 36v 500w kits, which isn't enough current to work the motor properly, so it would make it run very inefficiently and lack torque for hill-climbing.

There is no PAS supplied, which would make the kit illegal, which is fairly irrelevant because the motor is illegal. Even if you got your own PAS and fitted it, it would be useless because there's no regulation of PAS power, so you only get max power whenever you turn the pedals, which is not very convenient. It could be even worse if it's the type of controller that gives power proportional to pedal speed, which sounds sort of logical, but it's absolutely diabolical.

The battery won't work with that kit. Even if it did, at 6kg, that's a lot of weight to add to a bike, especially when that motor weighs about 6kg as well. You'd end up with a 30kg bike, which would be impossible to pedal without power.

What I'd recommend is that you tell us about yourself, and what you want the bike to do, so we can advise you how to get a solution that you'll be happy with.

Reactions: sjpt

Mattmoon

Just Joined
Nov 21, 2020
I would keep well away from that kit. The listing shows three completely different motors, but I'm going to assume that it's the direct drive motor shown in the first picture. The listing doesn't include the motor RPM, which is the most important characteristic you need to choose a motor

The controller looks huge. I don't believe that's the one that they're going to supply. Normally, you get a 9 FET 22 amp controller with those 36v 500w kits, which isn't enough current to work the motor properly, so it would make it run very inefficiently and lack torque for hill-climbing.

There is no PAS supplied, which would make the kit illegal, which is fairly irrelevant because the motor is illegal. Even if you got your own PAS and fitted it, it would be useless because there's no regulation of PAS power, so you only get max power whenever you turn the pedals, which is not very convenient. It could be even worse if it's the type of controller that gives power proportional to pedal speed, which sounds sort of logical, but it's absolutely diabolical.

The battery won't work with that kit. Even if it did, at 6kg, that's a lot of weight to add to a bike, especially when that motor weighs about 6kg as well. You'd end up with a 30kg bike, which would be impossible to pedal without power.

What I'd recommend is that you tell us about yourself, and what you want the bike to do, so we can advise you how to get a solution that you'll be happy with.

Thank you for your great reply vfr400!

A few weeks ago, I started delivering food on my road bike. I found out it's quite hard to do 30-40miles a day, every day :D And so I work every other day, but I would like to work a little bit more often what an electric bike I believe would allow me to do. I want to get an e-bike that would easily get to 40 miles and as you can see my budget, for now, is quite slim as the options I posted are somewhat of a lower grade as you mentioned.
Is there any feasible option for a conversion kit together with a battery within this range (£500-£600) that would allow me to do it?

Thanks,