Help! Conversion suggestions

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
send to saneagle. He does not need one but he's very good at evaluating the potential of a new product. I have always valued his advice to the forum except when he advises people to buy abroard.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the reply, I've spent the past few hours reading up on the Q128H. I think it would actually be the best option for me, small enough to be fairly inconspicuous and lighter then most other similarly powered motors.
Would I be able to use the Q128h as I have Acolyte 8 speed shifter on the bike, also do I need cassette or freewheel for my bike?
I have a 17.5ah 48v Hailong battery I'm hoping to use its brand new and was brought for a bbs02 build, but was too big for the frame triangle, I've been making sure to give it a sit on the charger every 2 months just to keep it in good shape.
So I'm going to need a Q128h ready laced into a 27.5 diameter wheel a recommendation for a decent controller to make the most of it all I have a half twist throttle unused also from aforementioned build also what would be the best display to go along side it, it would be great if someone did a kit with everything I'll need.
I am sure you will all set me straight if not, all your advice and guidance is appreciated by the way.
BMSBattery do a kit with everything you need. It's a mix and match kit, where you choose what you need.

Q128H is good for up to 7 speeds. You can fit an 8 speed freewheel but it makes the motor wide, so you have to spring the frame a bit to get it in, then put a fairly substantial dish in the wheel to get the rim central. It's much better with 7 speeds. You can use a 7 speed freewheel with 8 speed shifters, but you don't get precise shifting. On one or two gears you have to shift two forwards and one back to get them.

Only you can tell us what you already have. Normally, 8 speed and above is a cassette, but it makes no difference. You have to get what suits the motor.

If you just wanted a kit that works, you have a choice of many, but if you have specific needs and want a nice one, it'll be more expensive and you probably have to get it direct from China.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
TBK sell AMK motor gears and face plates with the fixed hub spline, if you need other motor parts they say they can supply them.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Thanks for all your help, sorry i took so long, i had fallen into the rabbit hole of looking at a million motors reading endless threads on here and endless sphere only to realise the Q128h be the one for me.

Having decided i am now getting my shopping list in order, on the site there are 2 q128h one black one silver, i cant understand the difference so if someone could enlighten me.
Also if i have chosen the right display can i use it to fine tune the motor or do i need something else.
Will i need torque arms if so could somebody link me suitable ones for my bike, any extra wires or indeed anything else i need please tell me once its all passed your muster ill order, thanks.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
one black one silver, i cant understand the difference so if someone could enlighten me.
Ones black - the others silver !
As for torque brackets, I've used these several times, very adaptable. Check you have the right one for your motor spindle size.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for all your help, sorry i took so long, i had fallen into the rabbit hole of looking at a million motors reading endless threads on here and endless sphere only to realise the Q128h be the one for me.

Having decided i am now getting my shopping list in order, on the site there are 2 q128h one black one silver, i cant understand the difference so if someone could enlighten me.
Also if i have chosen the right display can i use it to fine tune the motor or do i need something else.
Will i need torque arms if so could somebody link me suitable ones for my bike, any extra wires or indeed anything else i need please tell me once its all passed your muster ill order, thanks.
Don't get the LCD1. It has limited settings. Any one but LCD1 is OK, so if you want that size and position, LCD5 is the right one.

make sure that you get the right RPM for the motor too. It's easy to forget to select it.

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Ones black - the others silver !
As for torque brackets, I've used these several times, very adaptable. Check you have the right one for your motor spindle size.
Well that clears that up lol, i will grab those torque arms once i know match, thank you

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Don't get the LCD1. It has limited settings. Any one but LCD1 is OK, so if you want that size and position, LCD5 is the right one.

make sure that you get the right RPM for the motor too. It's easy to forget to select it.
I have no preference for that one, in fact i was hoping i could get something nicer

would this be ok, also the only offered rpm is 201, is this suitable i was hoping there would be 3 and i would just choose the middle

Also do i need any pas sensors, and some hydraulic brake cut offs would be nice for peace of mind

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Display will be fine.
Assuming a 26" or 700c wheel, then 201rpm will be ok. If you get a 36v motor and run it at 48v this will become around 260rpm. I think that puts it in the sweet spot for 15.5mph. Saneagle will no doubt clarify.
Don't forget to put your wheel size in when ordering.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
So I have a Cannondale EQ Adventure step thru arriving in about a week and haven't decided which kit to put on it yet, I do know 750w is my sweet spot and I rarely go above 15mph but need the oomph for a steep hill I take a few times daily .

UK ILLEGAL are you UK

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have no preference for that one, in fact i was hoping i could get something nicer

would this be ok, also the only offered rpm is 201, is this suitable i was hoping there would be 3 and i would just choose the middle

Also do i need any pas sensors, and some hydraulic brake cut offs would be nice for peace of mind
201 rpm will give you 15 mph top speed in a 26" wheel. With a fully charged battery, it'll be a bit faster, but it'll likewise be a bit slower with a nearly empty battery because the max speed is in direct relation to the battery voltage. 201 rpm is at nominal voltage. The other thing is that the power drops off as you get close to max speed due to the back emf, so actual top speed would be about 10% less.

If you use a different size wheel, the max speed will change in proportion and so will the torque - smaller wheel, less speed and more torque. 48v 201 rpm Q128H should be a torque monster. I doubt that you'll be running it at max power.

LCD8 is fine

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
Display will be fine.
Assuming a 26" or 700c wheel, then 201rpm will be ok. If you get a 36v motor and run it at 48v this will become around 260rpm. I think that puts it in the sweet spot for 15.5mph. Saneagle will no doubt clarify.
Don't forget to put your wheel size in when ordering.
with a wheel size of 27.5, do you know what i will top out at

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
201 rpm will give you 15 mph top speed in a 26" wheel. With a fully charged battery, it'll be a bit faster, but it'll likewise be a bit slower with a nearly empty battery because the max speed is in direct relation to the battery voltage. 201 rpm is at nominal voltage. The other thing is that the power drops off as you get close to max speed due to the back emf, so actual top speed would be about 10% less.

If you use a different size wheel, the max speed will change in proportion and so will the torque - smaller wheel, less speed and more torque. 48v 201 rpm Q128H should be a torque monster. I doubt that you'll be running it at max power.

LCD8 is fine
Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My 201rpm AKM128CST topped out at 19mph @48v with 26" rims.
The motor in size is quite tiny and the label will soon fall off, one cna replace it with a 250w sticky label or a printed ali sticky one.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The motor in size is quite tiny and the label will soon fall off, one cna replace it with a 250w sticky label or a printed ali sticky one.
Was that a 36v one, Neal?

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
That is good to hear 19 to 20 would be a sweet spot, is that on a 36v run at 48v or 48@48v

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Motor dia is 128mm which is on a par with other 250w size motors used in most bikes.