Convert my Raleigh shopper

Benji

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2014
Hi there,
I have an old Raleigh shopper and would like to achieve a similar result to this:
http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15280060

Apparently he used a hilltopper hub:
The hub info is at the clean republic site (http://www.electric-bike-kit.com/hill-topper.aspx).

However I can't seem to find these in the UK?

I am completely new to this and the choice and options are a little overwhelming at this stage so was hoping to get some help on what the best piece of kit for this kind of project would be?

Some of the ones I have searched for on google are hideously large or only come in a certain wheel size. I am not sure how I will go about fitting he hub inside the smaller wheel size yet or if you can buy them already fitted?

SO any pointers at this early stage will help get this project of the ground!

Many thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'd keep well away from them unless they want to come on here and explain how they managed to charge that guy £2600 for a very amateurish installation of what looks like a cheap Chinese kit.

Any Chinese kit with a rack battery will give you that. You can get the kits from Greenbikekit.com, BMSBattery.com or Elifebike.com. If you go that route, post your shopping list here so that we can check it before you order.

Benji

Jun 11, 2014
Thanks for your input.
I should mention that I am based in London UK so ideally I'd want to find someone who can do the customisation here!

D

Deleted member 4366

Maybe Cwah will do it for you if you ask him nicely.

To have that bike professionally converted will cost you as much as a decent ready-made folding electric bike. Why do you want to convert it?

Benji

Jun 11, 2014
I am just being nostalgic because I like vintage stuff and thought it would be a fun project and something a little different. But obviously I would want to keep the cost as low as possible.
Cwah feel free to introduce yourself :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I am just being nostalgic because I like vintage stuff and thought it would be a fun project and something a little different. But obviously I would want to keep the cost as low as possible.
Cwah feel free to introduce yourself :)
A Chinese kit direct from China will cost about £350. If you could find an installer, they'd charge about £100. You can get equivalent kits in the UK for about £100 more. The kits that shops sell and install start from about £700 plus about £100 fitting, so you're now more than double the cost of doing it yourself. What's stopping you from doing it yourself? It's not exactly difficult!

Benji

Jun 11, 2014
I guess I could give it a crack. It's just my first bike project so I have no idea what I am doing... hence me joining the forum to find out where to start... but all good info :)
All I really need is just a couple of links to the best bit of kit for this project because I am no expert. And if anyone is happy to help me install it then it's just going to help get the ball rolling.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The hill topper kit uses an 8fun/Bafang SWX 250w motor at 24v. (At least it did a couple of years back)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Converting a bike like that Raleigh Shopper is silly, pointless, dangerous and irresponsible. Just my sort of thing!

First things first, you need to answer a few questions:

1. Presumably it is steel forks, with a 3 speed hub at the back. Assuming you want to retain this, then its going to have to be crank or front hub drive.

2. What range and speed are you looking for, and how much do you weigh (sorry if that's personal)

3. Is it 20" wheels, and what is the front dropout distance. Measure between the forks where the wheel goes in, and post a picture.

4. Where you want to mount the battery? If you are ok with risk, you could mount it in a back pack, preserving the look of the bike.

There are other questions, but these will get us started....

It's a great idea for a project!

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not at all difficult to fit a kit on a bike like yours. You'll have to solder a couple of connectors. Are you happy with that?

I'd get a 36v 328 rpm kit from BMSBattery for £313 including delivery. Then you need to add about £40 duty.:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/ebike-kits/420-250w350w-q-85100sx-motor-e-bike-kit.html
http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/162-36v-10ah-lithium-ion-alloy-shell-ebike-battery-pack.html

That reack battery mounts on a plate that you can fit to any rack. You'll need a box to contain the controller and connectors that you can get from Maplin.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=diecast+enclosure&sra=oss&r=t
Perhaps someone here can recommend the best one. I know someone used one.

You can make a rack out of 15mm aluminium tube from Wickes if you don't already have one. Like this:

Benji

Jun 11, 2014
Thanks guys!
The bike is exactly the same as in this picture:

I want to strip it all back to its bare essential and keep the gears, so yes the hub will go on the front wheel. I would put the battery on the back rack that already exists. I have just had a little tinker to remove some of the parts and already I realise this might be quite an undertaking.
I am now actually quite keen to find someone to do this for me. I got a quote from a shop that fits bromptons:
http://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/...le-250-watt-conversion-kit-v-5-/prod_493.html

They said they would do the lot for £800. SO yes it is going to cost me double than if I do it myself which is not ideal, but at least they will do a good job and will probably get some kind of guarantee.

D

Deleted member 4366

Before you go with them, you should look at the job they did for £2600 in this thread:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/help-wanted-with-boss-adjustment.17988/page-2#post-222250

Now he's got to find some way to re-position the battery because it's unstable. Anybody here would have told you that before it was even built. I severely doubt their competence to do conversions based on this example.

If you can take the baskets and pedals off, and loosen the stem so that you can lower the handlebars and turn them through 90 degrees, you can get a box from your local bike shop or Halfords and send it to me. I'll do it for you at no cost other than the stuff, which will be less than £500. It'll cost £25 to send it and £35 back via Paisley freight.

If you don't mind very slightly used stuff, it would be about £350.

Benji

Jun 11, 2014
That is a very kind offer thank you. I am going to check out their customised Brompton in-store as it is pretty local to me and see how it looks and drives. Will make an assessment after that and report back.
Cheers!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If I were you, I'd be biting D8veh's arm off for his offer. Really, he is one of the most experienced electric bike guys on the forum, probably the country.

You won't get a better offer. You can't even buy the bits for £350.

Benji

Jun 11, 2014
Ok you might have me sold then D8veh! I am new to all this so just getting my head around the logistics of everything. I actually don't mind having used stuff as long as its neat and tidy and actually works!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If you want me to do it, send me a pm (start a conversation), and I'll send you my address. It'll take about 2 weeks for the battery to come. I'll need money up front for that. I have the rest of the stuff, so you can pay me for that when it's done.

Benji

Jun 11, 2014
Already sent you a PM! Would be great to get you involved thanks again.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
With D8veh,s history you are well sorted.