Converting a Carrera Crossfire3

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
FINALLY! All the bits in one place. Stripped the kit of the old bike and got it fitted to the Carrera.
It took much longer than I thought, but then I was being a bit anal about the wiring, threading and re-threading cables to get neat runs.
In the end I decided just to use the switched brake levers that came with the kit. So they're silver levers instead of black, suppose I'll get over ito_O
The workstand has been great, taking the weight of the bike complete with motor and battery.
Only two difficulties:
1: The PAS sensor ring fowled the bottom bracket ring when the chain ring was tightened onto the spline. Having removed the smallest chain ring, I drilled out the centre of the PAS and drilled two holes in it to suit chain ring mounting holes. This backed it away from the bottom bracket and works fine.
2: Can't find any handlebar room for my ting ting bell.

I'll put some 'photo's up tomorrow, after a ride to shake it down.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So here's some 'photo's,
DSCF2960.JPG
DSCF2959.JPG
You can see that the bottom bracket nut is sitting proud and this is what the PAS ring fouled on, this fouling marked the sensor ring so I knew where to drill it out. Then I fixed it to the middle chain ring using the bolts from the granny ring.
DSCF2963.JPG
Here's the torque bracket adapter fitted to the brake caliper posts. The bracket tabs have moved the brake caliper away from the disc by 2mm (thickness of metal), but it doesn't seem to be causing any problem.
DSCF2962.JPG
Made a bracket for the controller and fixed it to the bar clamp. The front changer lever fouled the throttle housing but cured this with my trusty file.
DSCF2964.JPG
DSCF2961.JPG DSCF2965.JPG
The bike started out at 15.5Kg, as seen in this last picture, it comes in at a massive 28Kg, as far as I can tell it's difficult to pick up on the luggage scales.
Yet to try a longer ride, may need a different saddle or suspension seat post. But so far it feels great and the brakes are great in comparison with my old vee brakes.
Thanks for the all the help guys, hope this encourages someone else to try a conversion.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You would have saved some weight by using hydraulic V brakes. They have stopping power just as good as mechanical disks. I am mulling installing a mechanical front disk on my new build if I go the route of transferring my current kit to the new frame which has suspension forks.

A 12.5 k gain is huge though, your motor mus weigh a ton :D

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The overall weight included panniers, mirrycle, water bottle,lights and the crivit lock which is about a Kg in itself.
Been out on first good ride. The bike itself feels solid, no rattles or clangs anywhere. Handling feels much more nimble than my old machine with quick response to direction change. The riding position is very nearly upright which means that the front wheel has more tendency to slip on steep hills. Guess I'll be standing up a bit more. Gear range is good, still able to , sensibly, peddle at 30mph, whilst hill climbing on smaller front ring has all the range I need. Much happier with the discs, not now worrying about rim wear on the steep hills round here.
All round I'm chuffed to buggery, once I've changed the killer saddle (I feel a B67 coming on) it will be nigh on perfect:eek: oh yes:D.

Reactions: LeighPing