Copenhagen wheel

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If this ever becomes available in the UK, would anyone buy it? I ask primarily because I respect the opinions of the resident experts regarding batteries and stuff... And, sooner or later it will be here....

D

Deleted member 4366

It'll appeal to some people, but I can't see it as a game changer. No disc brake version, a horrible colour, small battery and strange spokes will put off a lot of people. We'll have to wait to see what the UK price is.

As far as I can see, there's no torque arm, which is a bit worrying, but after three years in development, they must have confidence in it.

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
It'll appeal to some people, but I can't see it as a game changer. No disc brake version, a horrible colour, small battery and strange spokes will put off a lot of people. We'll have to wait to see what the UK price is.

As far as I can see, there's no torque arm, which is a bit worrying, but after three years in development, they must have confidence in it.
Tell you what d8veh, when I saw this device product 2yrs ago I said 'no way' but now looking again at it closely don't look too bad after all. I will have a go if it was given to me for a trial period.

MS.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk

The pre-order price is in dollars and translates to a bit over £600.

The red is a little brash though. A black one would fit in better with people but I suppose it's a brand awareness thing for them.

I kind of like it in a way. I wouldn't jump ship from my Kalkhoff for one but I can see the appeal..

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My thoughts are with my Boardman "racing" bike which cant be electrified without compromising its basic nature.. And as such it doesnt have discs and if the wheel were to be white it would look ok ish I think..
Personally, I like my e-MTB on and off road, but I like the Boardman as well, at least until I come across a hill!!

D

Deleted member 4366

Until now, we haven't had a proper independent test report. How it performs for our way of riding will have a big effect on sales. All electric bikes perform pretty well on flat roads, but, if that's the type of rides you do, you don't really need one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And Copenhagen where it was developed is very flat. I can't see it competing on level terms with current e-bike systems, only having convenient conversion in it's favour.

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
. All electric bikes perform pretty well on flat roads, but, if that's the type of rides you do, you don't really need one.
Speak for yourself, I started using an electric bike when my lung capacity was diagnosed as 10%. I wouldn't be able to use a "normal" bike, even on the fairly flat roads of Suffolk.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think that there are many reasons why we buy electric bikes, ranging from those that need the help for health reasons, up to those that want the rush the extra power gives.. In my case its a mixture of both!! Its fairly flat up the valley here, but this seems to create a constant head wind and if you deviate from the valley to ride a loop... Yep, its them there hills again..
Hence my question...

Reactions: flecc

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Does it only come in single speed? If so I can't see it being much good for me where I live. Any single speed that can take me uphills isn't going to be much good on flat roads and vice versa.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
If this ever becomes available in the UK, would anyone buy it? I ask primarily because I respect the opinions of the resident experts regarding batteries and stuff... And, sooner or later it will be here....
see the review at the bottom of this

http://electricbikereview.com/superpedestrian/copenhagen-wheel/

it's a gearless 350w motor that "induces drag" when freewheeling - i can see that might be ideal for some, but i dont like drag much, even if it regenerates electricity and helps with braking

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it's successful enough in the States, they may send a modified controller 250 watt version into Europe, but it would have to be speed restricted too.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Reactions: Gubbins

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Its briefly reviewed on click on iPlayer this weekend,curiously they say drag and regeneration only kicks in if one briefly backpedals, and that it's good on hills
And there's a shot of the inside showing lots of thick copper windings far from the centre,looks rather impressive