Crank Drive Motor Clunking Noise

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Hear what you are saying, similar applies to the telecoms industry, wide band mobile signal boosters are not illegal sell but illegal to install yet there are literally thousands in use within the UK.

To my knowledge there have been zero prosecutions hence no test cases to review.

This continuous wattage conundrum the same? Has there been any prosecutions in the UK with reference to anyone using an over 250w machine on a public road?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bosch bike says 250w on the frame but its not as when a dongle is used it can pull 700w.

same goes for under the 15mph limit going up hill as it will pull that much power just cut out at 15mph.

a sclass bike with the bosch motor can go 28kph then the motor is stated as 350w but there is no difference in the motor its self as all are the same just software limited.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hear what you are saying, similar applies to the telecoms industry, wide band mobile signal boosters are not illegal sell but illegal to install yet there are literally thousands in use within the UK.

To my knowledge there have been zero prosecutions hence no test cases to review.

This continuous wattage conundrum the same? Has there been any prosecutions in the UK with reference to anyone using an over 250w machine on a public road?
I think the situation with mobile signal boosters is not that they are illegal to install, but illegal to switch on and broadcast a signal ,. It is the broadcasting of the signal on controlled wavelength s which is unauthorised.

I would like to think that UK police have more pressing matters.
A more likely scenario is where one manufacturer shops another for selling illegal product. You cannot legally sell an ebike without the EPAC designation, and if you offer it for sale with a false declaration, it is simple fraud.
But the serious situation for a person would be a personal injury claim.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
martin at ebike shop fits dongles and honers the warranty all the dealers kicked off and all that happens was he can no longer offer the dongle for sale on the same page as the bikes listed for sale.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
my bosch bike says 250w on the frame but its not as when a dongle is used it can pull 700w.

same goes for under the 15mph limit going up hill as it will pull that much power just cut out at 15mph.

a sclass bike with the bosch motor can go 28kph then the motor is stated as 350w but there is no difference in the motor its self as all are the same just software limited.
Yes that is all consistent with what I previously argued, a pedelec is a system and it is the system which is licenced under the EPAC designation.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I think the situation with mobile signal boosters is not that they are illegal to install, but illegal to switch on and broadcast a signal ,. It is the broadcasting of the signal on controlled wavelength s which is unauthorised.

I would like to think that UK police have more pressing matters.
A more likely scenario is where one manufacturer shops another for selling illegal product. You cannot legally sell an ebike without the EPAC designation, and if you offer it for sale with a false declaration, it is simple fraud.
But the serious situation for a person would be a personal injury claim.
Its not the Police that scour for booster installations, its ofcom and trust me they will decommission and confiscate whether switched on or not, I've been on the receiving end.

As far as the ebike side goes I agree with what you say but have yet to see any test case.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Yes that is all consistent with what I previously argued, a pedelec is a system and it is the system which is licenced under the EPAC designation.
On a different note in the case of throttle use, if the system is made up from components pre and post Jan 2016, which part or parts would constitute a breach of law?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
motor power and speed cut off at 15.5mph tho near all kits you can buy you can remove the speed limit so even if the motor is only 250w you can change the settings so in turn get more power than 250w and remove the speed limit.

it is no different to me using a dongle just i had to pay 100 quid for it.

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law. The term ‘off-road’ suggests that these bikes can be ridden on parkland, forests or other places away from main roads, which isn’t accurate. E-bikes with increased motor power (above 250w) or increased speed (with motor assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph) cannot be used legally as bicycles anywhere on land accessible by the public; when riding on private land you would need permission from the landowner.

Reactions: D8ve

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Most of the 250w rated Chinese motors have at least 350w capacity, they are either hardware or software governed depending which market they are being shipped to.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:)

Reactions: Andy88
D

Deleted member 4366

It's almost impossible to be caught for having a too powerful motor as long as you don't leave a label or any other marking on it that says anything more than 250w because there's no definitive test for it. Obviously if your motor is engraved 1000w, you'd have difficulty defending it as 250w. As long as your bike is limited to an absolute max of 27.5 km/hr, you're pretty much home and dry.

Two motors marked 250w and running at the same time is the same as 500w. so that would be a tricky one to defend. Without markings, you have a much better chance, but you need to stick to the story that their combined power is 250w. When they wrote the standard, I guess they didn't think about people using two motors, so the wording doesn't cover it. A good barrister could probably get you a win if you could afford it. Who uses two motors and only does 27.5 km/hr though?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Yes, externally those bafang cd's whether 250w or 750w look same size
I fitted a 350W one which seems a good balance between power and a decent 3 hours from a 10ApH 5 kg battery.Yes, you have to pedal too but I got round most of the 7Staines trails in Scotland, both Blue and Red without even breathing hard...at least on the climbs! The extra 10 kg over my non electric full susser can be felt on the descents which require heavier braking. I would not like anything heavier!

Reactions: Andy88