Crank Drive Motor Clunking Noise

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Depreciation has a lot to do with the cost of a replacement battery. Most are considered end of life after 3 years so it's with asking about this when considering a purchase.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Yes Alan, I agree, I wouldn't want a bike with a proprietary battery or system, this is why I'm favoring conversion where everything is replaceable and the bike can always be put back to its original form and sold either electric or original, giving greater flexibility.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yes Alan, I agree, I wouldn't want a bike with a proprietary battery or system, this is why I'm favoring conversion where everything is replaceable and the bike can always be put back to its original form and sold either electric or original, giving greater flexibility.
Until recently the accepted wisdom was that building was not of much (if any) financial advantage. I think that might be changing a little now.

Certainly, if you are handy, already have a bike/other kit or want something special then DIY is a great option.

I build my own as I like the flexibility it offers. If it was my main transport I'd have a few, and swap batteries between them as required. (who am I kidding, its not my main transport and I still have more than a few!)

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The disadvantage of a purpose built crank dive is that as the motor ages, because the crank area is anything other than standard, it is not possible to either,
a Return the bike to pedal cycle status,
b Fit a different make of engine.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
The disadvantage of a purpose built crank dive is that as the motor ages, because the crank area is anything other than standard, it is not possible to either,
Mike, exactly but some dealers will tell you a standard bike is not suited to conversion, which is absolute rubbish as depends on the type of conversion and brand and model of the bike.

They will also say it will invalidate any warranty but if buying slightly used who cares.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually it is, and it has been done a few times.

For example a few of the old Giant Lafrees with failed units. The way that's done is stripping out the motor and all the contents of the light alloy crank case except the pedal shaft. Since that Lafree was very light anyway, the result is a normal bike weight.

Then a controller and front hub motor is added. The original battery position used by some, or a rack battery was used by others.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Right, shimano do a replacement unit but often change the styling and at £610 for just the hub unit I fail to see the value when a Bafang kit with battery can be had for about a hundred quid or so more.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Right, shimano do a replacement unit but often change the styling and at £610 for just the hub unit I fail to see the value when a Bafang kit with battery can be had for about a hundred quid or so more.
The Bafang will probably need a bling ring but still represents better value.

Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
I don't know if you're quite right with your put down of the Shimano Steps Andy - they are a quality product and some say up there with Bosch and Yamaha, I think comparing the price with a 'clip on' is wrong.

Both me and Wife have Steps and love the natural experience.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I don't know if you're quite right with your put down of the Shimano Steps Andy - they are a quality product and some say up there with Bosch and Yamaha, I think comparing the price with a 'clip on' is wrong.

Both me and Wife have Steps and love the natural experience.
You missed the point.

I'm not putting them down, it is only my opinion that there is better value in the market from a cost over usage/replacement point of view.

I use Huawei over Samsung, because again from a cost perspective the Huawei within its class performs as good as the Samsung. Again only my personal opinion, your opinion maybe different but hey, that's what makes the world go round.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I have just read your other post where you were considering converting your existing bike using a Bafang BBS

Based on your needs it maybe better to try one and play around with the cadence and see how it feels.

My main gripe with factory CD set ups is that I cannot attach a throttle, whereas to the Bafang CD or a hub I can.

I am with you on the quality of Shimano but it comes at a price, which we can debate in terms of value however it is not so much the price but the inflexibility of the system that precludes me from purchasing one.

I believe they have a new model the E8000 which looks slick on the youtube video have you watched it?

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
I have just read your other post where you were considering converting your existing bike using a Bafang BBS

Based on your needs it maybe better to try one and play around with the cadence and see how it feels.

My main gripe with factory CD set ups is that I cannot attach a throttle, whereas to the Bafang CD or a hub I can.

I am with you on the quality of Shimano but it comes at a price, which we can debate in terms of value however it is not so much the price but the inflexibility of the system that precludes me from purchasing one.

I believe they have a new model the E8000 which looks slick on the youtube video have you watched it?
Point taken Andy. I did try a bike with a Bafang after my last post and I didn't like it, just felt so unnatural, At the moment I have absolutely no desire to have a throttle and/or cadence only but that's my personal choice, others certainly prefer that option.
My wife didn't like her top bar Avanti Steps so brought a Scott E Comfort (Steps also) which came with trail tyres. I 'inherited' the Avanti even though it's a size too small. Friends have Bosch's and we swap over occasionally, while the Bosch are top notch the Steps are right up there.
Love the video, pity I couldn't understand a word of what was said it still looked good - think I need to start saving.....

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Point taken Andy. I did try a bike with a Bafang after my last post and I didn't like it, just felt so unnatural, At the moment I have absolutely no desire to have a throttle and/or cadence only but that's my personal choice, others certainly prefer that option.
My wife didn't like her top bar Avanti Steps so brought a Scott E Comfort (Steps also) which came with trail tyres. I 'inherited' the Avanti even though it's a size too small. Friends have Bosch's and we swap over occasionally, while the Bosch are top notch the Steps are right up there.
Love the video, pity I couldn't understand a word of what was said it still looked good - think I need to start saving.....
It just goes to show how diverse the biking fraternity is, I suffer with my legs so feel safer if there is a throttle to get me home if I'm suffering.

Oh, I think I uploaded the wrong video, this is what old age brings.

I take your point on the naturalness, I suppose a hub would be even worse for you?

Going back to the video, after looking again so many of the Shimano reviews were done by Germans, now there's a thing? Hmm

Try this one…

Do let me know, which way you go, the branded bikes that you mentioned, now that is an area I would stick to a brand.

When I was a boy if you had a Dawes or a Claude Butler you were the bees knees, now we are swamped with top notch bikes.

I like the look of the Specialized and the Scott alas I am stuck in the Philippines till February but rest assured I will be hitting those bike shops in Blighty when I get back.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Wouldn't that depend on the original weight if the bike?

Legal aspect, it would be interesting to see a case, I wouldn't say the legality is set in stone but I tend to agree with you.

However isn't it based on continuous power output? If both Motors are 250w how would the actual power output be measured?
It is set. The law says only one motor. It is simple that one.
The power is something else. A bad bit of legislation.

Reactions: Andy88

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It is set. The law says only one motor. It is simple that one.
The power is something else. A bad bit of legislation.
Hi just to be arguementive the law about one motor not sure... If one construct ed an assembly of 10 black and decker electric screwdriver s around the rim and friction drives , it would generate 250 watt of mechanical power , or even 100 motors from scaletric cars. The legislation does refer to "an" electric motor, but is not necessarily singular. Logically a multipole electric motor is a parallel combination of a number of motors within the same housing, . I doubt whether any body would care whether the motors were distributed over both or more wheels.

Particularly if any safety related explanation , however spurious was offered .. eg less chance of skidding, better balance, less spoke wear

What would concern the authorities is if the total overall continuous power assistance criterion was breached. This and the speed support criteria are absolutes

Again has been mentioned elsewhere, it is not the fear of prosecution which should worry users, but the civil liability which would result following an accident. If one was involved in an accident while using an illegal machine, then compensation, if one was the victim, would be reduced due to contributory negligence or if deemed to have caused the accident, major damage

I disagree with the proposition that the legislation is bad. I think that it is simple and balanced. 25km hr is a sensible speed . At speeds above this there are increased risks to other road users and protective gear is needed.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi just to be arguementive the law about one motor not sure... If one construct ed an assembly of 10 black and decker electric screwdriver s around the rim and friction drives , it would generate 250 watt of mechanical power , or even 100 motors from scaletric cars. The legislation does refer to "an" electric motor, but is not necessarily singular. Logically a multipole electric motor is a parallel combination of a number of motors within the same housing, . I doubt whether any body would care whether the motors were distributed over both or more wheels.

Particularly if any safety related explanation , however spurious was offered .. eg less chance of skidding, better balance, less spoke wear

What would concern the authorities is if the total overall continuous power assistance criterion was breached. This and the speed support criteria are absolutes

Again has been mentioned elsewhere, it is not the fear of prosecution which should worry users, but the civil liability which would result following an accident. If one was involved in an accident while using an illegal machine, then compensation, if one was the victim, would be reduced due to contributory negligence or if deemed to have caused the accident, major damage

I disagree with the proposition that the legislation is bad. I think that it is simple and balanced. 25km hr is a sensible speed . At speeds above this there are increased risks to other road users and protective gear is needed.
We must argue then.
An motor is a singular motor, a judge would have to decide but a 6 cylinder engine is one engine as a multi pole motor would be.
Two independent motors is not an motor but two motors, so simple application of law. Not really worth the risk of testing.

My particular point about legislation is the motor has a rated power of 250watts. The rating system was designed to stop underpowered motors being sold as a high power device. There is nothing to stop cyclease rating its 1kw motor at 250watts and selling it as road legal. That's lose regulation,or in common language bad ! But then I'm not a lawyer.

The keeping it a cycle by limiting the speed and power makes sense to me. Too many people want an unlicensed motorbike and rip up and down the footpaths.
Me I'm happy with 200 watts assist making me one of the fastest around but with mega range ability.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
We must argue then.
An motor is a singular motor, a judge would have to decide but a 6 cylinder engine is one engine as a multi pole motor would be.
Two independent motors is not an motor but two motors, so simple application of law. Not really worth the risk of testing.

My particular point about legislation is the motor has a rated power of 250watts. The rating system was designed to stop underpowered motors being sold as a high power device. There is nothing to stop cyclease rating its 1kw motor at 250watts and selling it as road legal. That's lose regulation,or in common language bad ! But then I'm not a lawyer.

The keeping it a cycle by limiting the speed and power makes sense to me. Too many people want an unlicensed motorbike and rip up and down the footpaths.
Me I'm happy with 200 watts assist making me one of the fastest around but with mega range ability.
Without doubt the legal standpoint is a potential can of worms, without test cases it really is hard to call.

ebike.com refuses to comment on it albeit from the US side, you may find the article interesting.

https://www.electricbike.com/definition-of-an-ebike-legally-and-ethically/

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Without doubt the legal standpoint is a potential can of worms, without test cases it really is hard to call.

ebike.com refuses to comment on it albeit from the US side, you may find the article interesting.

https://www.electricbike.com/definition-of-an-ebike-legally-and-ethically/
The article about the German designer is interesting and aligns with my viewpoint.

The remaining article about US definitions on ebikes is irrelevant because all of these cases are have already been defined by the EU, which applies even yet to the UK The pedelec definition and derogation from more rigourus type approval is just one of a number of defined vehicle parameters listed and EN (European norm ) codes have been agreed.

I would agree with DV8 that the original purpose of continuous ratings was to ensure at least a minimum level of performance in the same way as a pint of milk must contain at least 565ml, but the wording of the legislation allows that only those motors capable of providing a maximum 250 watt of assistance on a continuous basis may be used.
It is not the motor which must comply it is the system including the motor, it's controller and it's battery.
The manufacturer of the bike , not the motor, has the responsibility of ensuring that the appropriate EPAC designation is on the label, again this is listed in an appropriate EN. If one builds the bike oneself, then one is assuming the role of the manufacturer.
It is perfectly legal to manufacture buy and sell electric motors, of any power rating, even with cycle rims attached, it only becomes illegal when they are used inappropriately.
Like DV8 I also am not a lawyer, but like him I have been around the block a few times.