Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro/Bosch CX 500wh

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
The bike:

http://www.e-bikepower.co.uk/cube-reaction-hybrid-hpa-pro-500-grey-29-bosch-2813-p.asp

Reasons for purchase:
- to complete my 25 mile commute quickly, without any effort.
- to save money on the cost of getting the train.

Purchase price of bike: £1500
Extras: £190 (mud guards, pannier, badass tuning box)

Total: £1690 delivered

Shop used:
E-bikepower

Buying experience:

Positives:
- good quality mudguards and pannier well fitted, tyres changed to road type, speed sensor moved for badassbike tuning box. Gears working properly. Staff seemed nice and knowledgable.

Negatives:
- delivered two days late, quick release for front wheel missing (still not received a week later) Front brakes binding.

The bike:

Positives:
- one of the best value for money current ebikes with the Bosch CX motor and 500WH battery
- components all up to task
- great brakes
- suspension works well
- good handling response
- light in comparison to others.

Negatives:
- handlebar grips not comfortable
- gearing too short for road use - comfortable top speed only about 20mph
-chain/gears can seize if not given enough time to change
- according to the shop the pedals aren't intended for permanent use and should be replaced

Am I satisfied with it?

It's too early to tell but so far it's doing everything I wanted.

I can say for certain that the Bosch CX is excellent, very powerful and works brilliantly when pedalling. It should be reliable but I won't know until it's had more use.

Battery is just about acceptable, managing my commute on turbo mode with 1 bar showing on the battery display. However, should I need to charge it's no hassle as the charger is light and it doesn't take too long to top it up.

Performance wise it's excellent. What I wanted was to be able to get to work without working up a sweat, not have to shower, save time and money. It's done all of this and is enjoyable as well.

The gearing is probably the only thing I'll change.

Speed up hills is unbelievable if you've done any cycling before.

One of my first questions here was how much effort is required on an ebike.
The answer I got was not what I've found with this bike; it takes no effort whatsoever - and I love it for that reason.

I hope this may be of help to some.

Will update as the miles rack up.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
try a bigger front sprocket first as can get expensive if you go 11 speed

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well first off will need the spanner or socket to remove the lock ring and a crank puller to remove the crank arm.

you will need the socket if the lock ring is flush mounted to the chain guard cant see from pics.

size wise max is 22t tho id try 18-19 depends how fast you want to go

Reactions: git-r

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
well first off will need the spanner or socket to remove the lock ring and a crank puller to remove the crank arm.

you will need the socket if the lock ring is flush mounted to the chain guard cant see from pics.

size wise max is 22t tho id try 18-19 depends how fast you want to go
Would my local bike shop have these tools?

Speed wise 20 is fine but just want to lower the cadence. The guy in the shop said a 17 from memory, is there much difference between 17-18? Can't imagine so..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
i doubt the local bike shop will not have a lock ring spanner tho there only 20 quid from speed up above.

you will be surprised going up a few teeth does so if have 17 now id go up 2 to 19t, i did have 1 but sold it to halfer lol.

same 1 here or 20t same price

http://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/Kassetten_Kettenblaetter_Verschlussringe/Kettenblatt_19_Zaehne_Connex_artikel539b44515428a.html
Thanks for that :)

Guessing it's pretty easy to change... with the right tools. ;)

Maybe I'll go for an 18 then.. ebike shop have them in stock, will give them a ring.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the connex are better made than the 1s martin sells tbh and will wear out faster

Reactions: Crockers and git-r

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
UPDATE:

- about 10 hours riding and 150ish miles.

+'s:
Brilliant for commuting
10+ min time saving per journey compared to any transport I use and the most reliable meaning I don't have to leave time for cancelled trains or traffic
Saved around £70 in travel
Completely effortless. No need to shower or change clothes at work.
Battery just lasts my journey which is between 23-25 miles total on turbo with a couple of hills and around 110kg

-'s:
Bike has very annoying creak when pedalling
Plastic adjusters for the suspension have fallen off
Gearing too short
Heavy

Summary:
In short; it's what I was hoping for. It's saved me time, will save me a lot of money and gives me enjoyment. I have a few niggles that the LBS will hopefully sort but I expect this with new bikes.

I've tried a few things to remedy the creaking but have given up and taken it to my LBS. They'll give it a quick going over and hopefully sort it. They'll also fit a bigger front cog once I've got one :)

Will get my road bike back from a service too. It has been severely neglected since the ebike arrived. I nearly threw it over my shoulder picking it up, it's so light in comparison!

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the plastic around the motor might creek for a bit when peddling from new, but will go away after a few more miles but does come back if its very hot out side in the summer.

or it might be a bit not on right but the lbs will be able to sort that if its rubbing somewhere from peddling.

Plastic adjusters for the suspension have fallen off
23-25 miles total on turbo

:D

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The creak will probably be caused by either a fractionally loose pedal crank, or motor mount bolt.

By memory you require a 9mm allen key/socket to tighten the pedal crank. I should know the torque setting, but it has currently slipped my mind. You will soon feel if it is loose or not, but don't over tighten as it is a fine thread pitch, and you are threading steel into alloy.

Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The creak will probably be caused by either a fractionally loose pedal crank, or motor mount bolt.

By memory you require a 9mm allen key/socket to tighten the pedal crank. I should know the torque setting, but it has currently slipped my mind. You will soon feel if it is loose or not, but don't over tighten as it is a fine thread pitch, and you are threading steel into alloy.
Is that the motor mounts you're talking about, rather than the crank axle(of sorts) ends?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The motor mounts are three steel bolts with one flat washer and a nylock nut.

I was talking about the allen key bolt that retains the crank axle. Oddly, I have just taken a look at an active line bike that I have here, and whilst it still has an allen key bolt, it also has a plastic sleeve. On my Macina Lycan, it is just an allen key bolt.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I was talking about the allen key bolt that retains the crank axle. Oddly, I have just taken a look at an active line bike that I have here, and whilst it still has an allen key bolt, it also has a plastic sleeve. On my Macina Lycan, it is just an allen key bolt.
That's what I thought, so the crank axle on the new Bosch motors is alloy?

Off topic I'm now dealing with things that stopped me being keen on letting the kids do cyclocross. Don't hubs have rubbish seals these days, whatever happened to the days of proper rubber seals? Back to school bike trim, well almost.

IMG_20160222_093500_718.jpg

Last edited:

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions about the creaking.

I had my LBS give the bike a once over and apparently the crank arms were lose. The creak is very much still there though and they didn't stop the back brake from binding. Bit disappointing as this would've only taken 2 mins, will do this myself.

Will take it back and see what they can do, the creak is really annoying!!

Had the most amazing journey today, 39 mins door to door. This is significantly faster than any other means of transport.
Very, very happy about this! :)

A bigger gear should arrive soon so will get this fitted and report back.

Mileage around 200 now, other than the creaking the bike is fine.

I'm not sure if I'm noticing ebikes more now that I have one but I've seen quite a few on my commute. Old/young/men/women - a good spread of people using them.
Interesting meeting a guy with a kalkhoff s class, not bothered at all about it being illegal, had owned it since October without problems. It seemed slower to accelerate but had a much faster top speed, the guy was really enjoying it and must have been well into his 70's. Great to see :)

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
THE CREAK IS NO LONGER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

It was just bolts holding the motor to the frame that needed tightening, it is now silent and SO much nicer to ride :)

Got the same LBS to do it and they were great, fitted a 17t gear too which after a brief ride today seems to have made a big difference. Will report back after some more use but really pleased with this modification!