Cube SUV Hybrid Pro

dinger19

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2014
Kent
The person is irrelevant, you have been fooled by d8 bringing the buyer into this discussion as he always does.

We are talking about the quality of a manufactured product, nothing else.
Sorry,but d8 did not fool me only the mrs can do that however your logic is wrong,I paid half the retail price of my Kalkhoff that was only 8/10 months old with 8 miles on the clock,so does that mean the components used on mine are only half as good as a full price version.;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Sorry,but d8 did not fool me only the mrs can do that however your logic is wrong,I paid half the retail price of my Kalkhoff that was only 8/10 months old with 8 miles on the clock,so does that mean the components used on mine are only half as good as a full price version.;)
You are now confusing quality with value.

They are entirely different.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Still having fun though.
You certainly have a fantastic looking and well presented bike, and the statement quoted above, is all that counts. :)

I wasn't trying to push you or give you a hard time, and your current experience with the bike, probably resonates with many users. The cut off point can be very frustrating and annoying at times, but in my case, I think that I must have learned to switch off to it. I should really have expanded upon my original reply.

With the off road riding that I do, I guess that if I am with others on pedal mtb's, then the average riding speed can be as low as 6mph dependant upon terrain, where as if I was on my own and not too concerned about the battery consumption, then the average might about 10-12mph over the same route.
More often than not, on many of the routes that I use and climb, it is an impossibility to get anywhere close to the bikes factory cut off settings. This is because the terrain dictates the speed. Even when riding say on a wide open space, I would probably still struggle to maintain a climb rate of 12mph on even the most steady of climbs, so the factory set cut off point isn't an issue to me. If riding on say our local levelish old railway line, now cycle path, then my average speed will increase to anything from 18mph - 21mph over a distance of several miles. I'd be pushing hard for this, and would probably be more comfortable at what you have already discovered to be the irritating cut off point.
Remember that speed will also cost in terms of battery duration. The 400wh battery doesn't exactly offer that much when used off road.

In relation to suspension, that's a pretty mixed one, and jumping from a hardtail to full suspension when I did, the weather was still kind enough to make use of it. During the winter months, it has just been a pointless waste, as it just adds weight, and additional maintenance. Stick with the hardtail, and perhaps if you really fancy suspension on the rear, then compromise with a suspension seat post.

Enjoy the bike. :)

edit... Have you seen this thread? http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-23 It might be of interest to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: D C

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Quality is as D8veh says a measure of different aspects of something( here a bike).
If I want a bike to do 2 miles on flat road with limited effort almost any bike will achieve this spec.
It I want to do big down hill jumps then I get a very different specification to an ultra lightweight road bike.
Bot can be good value for the designed task hence high quality!
But try dropping six foot onto rough ground on a lightweight machine you end up with a low value heap of scrap. Is it low quality ?
Personaly I ride two bikes.
One a very lightweight folder. It's scarey at over 10 mph but is hand luggage. The other has done over 50 mph in comfort but won't even fit in an estate car. And defiantly not off road despite full suspention.
They are both quality bikes. ( good quality) for design tasks.
Poor quality for other jobs.
One was under £50 the other over £900.
Price is also an aspect as is poser value. Expensive often corelates with poser value as well as better build.
But remember Hitler rubbished the T34 as poor finishing.
It also had a very high production ratio and outnumbered the high quality panzers it defeated!

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Had a great ride yesterday involving lots of different terrain. I think the gear hub has a perfect range. Low gear can climb me up in the woods, slopes I would struggle to walk up, popping the front up over roots when needed.

Up and down the hills of the link roads of surrey hills I would not be able to cycle up without the assist! often in gear 2 or even 1 if I get a little tired!

At the other end of the range, when the hills assist me down the road, 25mph is easy and im not "whirling" my legs too fast.

Geoff.

Reactions: EddiePJ

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
You certainly have a fantastic looking and well presented bike, and the statement quoted above, is all that counts. :)

Remember that speed will also cost in terms of battery duration. The 400wh battery doesn't exactly offer that much when used off road.

In relation to suspension, that's a pretty mixed one, and jumping from a hardtail to full suspension when I did, the weather was still kind enough to make use of it. During the winter months, it has just been a pointless waste, as it just adds weight, and additional maintenance. Stick with the hardtail, and perhaps if you really fancy suspension on the rear, then compromise with a suspension seat post.

Enjoy the bike. :)

edit... Have you seen this thread? http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/how-many-people-are-using-there-e-bike-off-road.15780/page-23 It might be of interest to you.

Cool, thanks.

I understand that the extra speed will lower my range, but I went on my longest ride ever yesterday, 9 miles in total.... Lots of max assistance, I don't think range will be an issue as total used vs left will still mean 30 miles total range, so maybe drop to 25 with more speed?

Really want the suspension for the "downhill" bits off road. The hardtail just limits my downhill speed, as the rear end thumps too much at too much speed.

Will post in the other thread when I get some pics :)

Cheers - Geoff.

Reactions: EddiePJ

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Im based on the edge of Surrey Hills during the week. Here of some pics of the quick 6 mile trip the long way home tonight!

This is a typical nice tow path. Kinda why I bought the bike, lazy flat riding. Can easily pull 15mph+ here on the straights

Typical railway path. Think this goes all the way to the coast. I only did a short section. Easy 20+mph once I get the dongle.

Going up the Downs Link, nice bit of single track, no issues here going up hill.

Still on the Downs Link, some single track getting technical in places.

Just above the end of the handlebar is St Marthas Church, been up there a couple of times, awesome riding up there on electric, then FUN on the way down again, not feeling tired, but still wanting the rear suspension.

My final bit of single/double track ahead. Quite open so +15 would be possible, but…. this is where the rear suspension would come in handy to go a bit quicker.

Downhill all the way home!

Geoff.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
You must be very close to me in Guildford. My great grandfather is buried up at St Martha's. I'll be on a Cube bike myself soon, although I've taken the other approach and converted one myself. Good to see you are out and about enjoying yourself!

Michael

Nicaf

Just Joined
Mar 28, 2015
I have just ordered a Cube SUV Pro and collect it next week. Really appreciate your comments mrgeoff. I was nervous about the hub gears initially but your comments seem to allay my fears. How simple is it to remove the rear wheel in the event of a puncture?Really looking forward to getting out there and enjoying it

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
I had not thought about repairing a puncture on the rear wheel, but you may have to do it boy scout way, and not remove the wheel….
The tyres are thick though, I have ridden some rough trails with reduced pressures, and no issue yet.

I wanted a gear hub, and think I got the best bike with one, while I want full suspension now, I think I'm going to have to spend 2-3 x what I spent on the cube to get that and a hub gear, so I'm happy at the mo.

Geoff.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Geoff

I've got a Cube hardtail. Get yourself a Suntour NCX suspension seat post from ultra cheap and efficient bikediscountde for around £40.
It will soften out the bumps no end ...without the weight, complexities and cost of full sus.

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
I finally set the front forks up, got a better, softer sag, and softened up the damper rate, what a difference, bike rode so much better on the trails last night, the smooth tyres even managed to find grip, as they were more in contact with the ground!

Still need rear suspension, the rear end does thump when going at a faster pace, usually standing on the pedals, thus a seatpost isn't going to help so much!

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Glad I found this review, thanks Geoff.
I am in the process of finding my first Ebike, and this Cube seems to tick all my box's, I notice that the 2016 model has the 500watt Battery, is the Bosch motor the 60nm model?. My pedal bike is fitted with a Rohloff SpeedHub, and my plan is to either transfer the Rohloff to the Ebike, or simply buy another Rohloff SpeedHub at a later date to add to the Ebike, if I find that the gear range of the Alfine is not enough, as the Rohloff may have spoiled me.

I guess on the Cube bike Chain Tension is taken care of by Sliding Drop Outs.

Also Geoff, can you say what size Sprocket is on the Alfine Hub, it looks quite large, so I am guessing 20 Tooth or so.

Also would you say that adding a Rear Rack to the Cube is doable, I don't like to wear a back pack when riding, and find having a decent size rack bag on the rear of the bike is essential for me.

Of course I would have to add mudguards, but I can't see that being an issue.

Edit = just had a look and the Motor and it is the lowest Torque one at 48nm, does this make such a big difference, Geoff says he gets up the steep bits, but I can't help thinking that the CX 75nm Motor will cope better with hills.

I am sure the Rohloff SpeedHub can cope with the Torque, it's rated to 100nm, so I may end up getting the "Cube Cross Hybrid Race Allroad 500" although the frame is not as Hub Gear friendly, oh to do!

Last edited:

mrgeoff

Pedelecer
Mar 12, 2015
UK
Hi, I saw in some technical data, that Bosch limited the torque to around 50Nm for a hub gear? Don't know that absolute torque matters, as that's what the gears are for (and fitness)
I have use the bike far more than I thought I would, and as such got fitter doing so. Yes, I still run the ebike in maximum assist up hills, but this just translates to speed up the climb. I notice when im on my non ebike I go faster now too, so I must be fitter.

The horizontal sliding drop outs are great, they have threaded adjusters like a motorbike to set the centre distance spot on before doing up the axle.

No idea about the gearing, should say on the cube website?

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Hi Mr Geoff. I have have been looking at the 2016 model, is yours the same with hub gears and 8 speed? If you have hub gears how is the of road and trailing?

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
this very interesting reading for me and noted some heated posts regarding quality and price,anyway Cube is always a good quality and affordable price,I should know I have 2,but I am new to hub gear,can somebody point me to good info about these ,thx,im off riding my converted hardtail.