Cube Touring Hybrid One 500 2019 or Cube Touring Hybrid 500 2019

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019
Not yet. Got to sort out a tow bar extender first so can mount the bike carrier on my car. Will then sort out my test rides. Will post a review once have made the purchase.
Hi. That's a good point actually as my brother is about to get a tow bar fitted and we need to research bike carriers that can handle the weight of two e-bikes and a standard mountain bike. What carrier do you have?

Tawse57

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 28, 2019
Hi Fred,

I have the Purion and have ridden a bike with the Intuvia also, realistically the Purion tells you all you need to know. I have a 2018 Cube Cross Hybrid Pro and it's a great quality bike. Nothing has broken on it in the last 700 miles. I used to worry about battery range as I have the 400wh battery, as I've got much fitter and lighter I use the battery less. I used to set the power rating to tour and eco a lot but have come to realise that EMTB setting is best as it sort of gives you the best power to range ratio. If you pedal hard in EMTB it uses less power, it's like an auto setting. My bike has the CX motor and I'd highly recommend that.

I have done a few mods to my bike but nothing radical, I changed my tyres twice and now have Schwalbe Marathon MTB puncture resistant tyres front and back with a 2.1 inch width. I have some more summer tyres which are a bit narrower Schwalbe 365 Marathon +, take a look at my other posts about punctures.
I noticed that the US guy who does those electricbikereivews on youtube raves about the Intuvia display over the Purion - he says that the buttons clicks easier or better on the Intuvia.

Whilst the Intuvia looks nice I do wonder about it's ruggeness re the accidental dropping of the bike compared to the Purion. It looks a tad vulnerable to me.

Marathon Plus Eco's - the green strip ones - are what I use on my non e-bikes and I love them. Will go and have a look for your puncture posts.

Last edited:

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I was looking at bike racks as well today. Looks like the towbar Thules are ok up to 20kg per bike, which should be the weight of the Cube without the battery.

I wouldn't worry about dropping the bike and damaging the Intuvia. Unless it does a full flip it isn't going to land on the Intuvia anyway. And it is a very nice display.

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019
I was looking at bike racks as well today. Looks like the towbar Thules are ok up to 20kg per bike, which should be the weight of the Cube without the battery.

I wouldn't worry about dropping the bike and damaging the Intuvia. Unless it does a full flip it isn't going to land on the Intuvia anyway. And it is a very nice display.
Hi. I found this website with racks that can handle 25kg per bike:

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range-towbar-mounting.php

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019
Went on my first ride this afternoon on my Cube Touring Hybrid Pro 500 around my local area (all on road) and wow! what a pleasure to ride.

Started off with no assistance and went through the gears and it felt so natural, with no drag at all and the extra weight of the battery and motor being virtually unnoticable (but that might just be because I've never owned really light bikes in the past).

I can also confirm all other reports on here about the quietness of the ALP motor.

I tried all the modes and was amazed at the power in turbo mode! Hopefully as I get fitter that will be used less and less but its reassuring to know its available if required.

I love riding this bike and can't wait for a longer run on it next weekend.

A big thank you to all those who've replied to my queries and possibly daft questions!

Stu.

Tawse57

Mar 28, 2019
Went on my first ride this afternoon on my Cube Touring Hybrid Pro 500 around my local area (all on road) and wow! what a pleasure to ride.

Started off with no assistance and went through the gears and it felt so natural, with no drag at all and the extra weight of the battery and motor being virtually unnoticable (but that might just be because I've never owned really light bikes in the past).

I can also confirm all other reports on here about the quietness of the ALP motor.

I tried all the modes and was amazed at the power in turbo mode! Hopefully as I get fitter that will be used less and less but its reassuring to know its available if required.

I love riding this bike and can't wait for a longer run on it next weekend.

A big thank you to all those who've replied to my queries and possibly daft questions!

Stu.
How much did you pay in the end Stu?

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Just slightly off topic, here are photos of a cube acid allroad next to a cube reaction allroad. At first glance they look identical but I reckon the only common components are the handlebar grips and the front light. The reaction has a CX drive and is noticeably more helpful uphills but the acid with the ALP is fine for most hills, just a little slower. Both feel solid and both are on 29” wheels. Both are current models.
98D79BAC-80E1-4BA1-B7AA-9DA78DB7849E.jpeg
0557E4D9-CDA3-47D2-97EC-42151B979764.jpeg7227DAF4-F4C3-4431-886E-1763C801E736.jpeg

Tawse57

Mar 28, 2019
Hi. I bought a 2018 model for £1,999 which was the cheapest I could find in Kent/Sussex.

How about you? Bought one?

Stu.
No, not yet. I am laid up with bronchitis at the moment so everything has gone on hold.

I had a look at some in my local Tredz a few weeks back that were on sale but they had the CX motor as opposed to the ALP one.

Plus, when asking about a test ride, they told me to contact them to arrange one... which is what I thought I was actually doing standing there asking them about a test ride... so was not impressed.

Reactions: poolbet

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019
No, not yet. I am laid up with bronchitis at the moment so everything has gone on hold.

I had a look at some in my local Tredz a few weeks back that were on sale but they had the CX motor as opposed to the ALP one.

Plus, when asking about a test ride, they told me to contact them to arrange one... which is what I thought I was actually doing standing there asking them about a test ride... so was not impressed.
Sorry to hear about the illness.

Regarding the ALP and CX Bosch motors - I went out on a ride with my brother yesterday and he has the CX on a Cube Reaction Pro. I had a go on it and really didnt notice a difference when the motor was off and pedalling unassisted. It is noiser when in use but not enough to put you off choosing it over the ALP in my opinion. Maybe its because both our bikes are brand new? I'm not as experienced as most on here so certainly no expert.

Great ride though around the Kent countryside. Did 40 mile round trip. I'm loving this bike!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Stu.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Has anyone bought from Freeborn? This ^ for £1599 and the "Cube Touring Hybrid One 400 2018 Iridium/Black" for £1439 seem too good to be true. What's the catch?
it is last years model so just want rid of them ;)

Reactions: Stumac62

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
Has anyone bought from Freeborn? This ^ for £1599 and the "Cube Touring Hybrid One 400 2018 Iridium/Black" for £1439 seem too good to be true. What's the catch?
I bought my 2019 model cube acid from them....it was £1450, no catches just a great price

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019
Hi. I bought my Cube Touring Hybrid Pro 500 from Freeborn back in March.

Received good communication and advice via email from Alex, so would recommend.

Only issue I had was delivery by APC who delivered it in two parts over two days!

Fantastic bike once all in one piece! 2018 model for £1,999.

Stu.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I bought my Cube Touring Hybrid 500 Iridium for £1570 from a B&M shop, so it's not too good to be true, just a very good price.

clv101

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2010
Bristol
I have today bought the Cube Touring Hybrid One 400, £1439. It's a bit rough around the edges, with especially budget fork, pedals and Derailleur. But the ALP motor works brilliantly, and the frame and wheels seem solid. Only had a quick spin this evening but generally pretty happy.

Reactions: Andy McNish

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
with bikes at this price you are only going to get budget parts esp forks as they can cost as much as the hole bike.
rrp 2019 £1500