Cycle Computers

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I am presently looking for good cycle computer, preferably wireless, for my new bike, not wanting to pay over £25, can any members advise.:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you have a front hub motor, a wireless one isn't advisable since it can suffer interference and wildly varying readouts from motor and wiring fields. They're generally ok with crank or rear motors though.

I only use wired ones since wireless ones can suffer from other interference, for example the powerful transmitter masts in my area, so can't advise on choices. For wired ones I use the Cateye model 5 (basic readings) or model 8 (includes average speeds).

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
As flecc says wired only for front hub fits!

Also don't buy cheap ones. I have several times!

I really like the Cateye Enduro-8 Cycle Computer as it has a resettable odo (if the battery dies) and has a thicker wire which I found was the weak point on the cheaper "Tesco" computers.

Regards

Jerry

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
OK thanks for Info on wireless interference from front hubs, so revise preference to wired only.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
My wi-fi one goes berserk when I cycle along next to the electrified railway line.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
As flecc says wired only for front hub fits!

Also don't buy cheap ones. I have several times!

I really like the Cateye Enduro-8 Cycle Computer as it has a resettable odo (if the battery dies) and has a thicker wire which I found was the weak point on the cheaper "Tesco" computers.
This parallels my own experience exactly. There is another Cateye model (I think it's the Mity-8) which is identical to the Enduro-8, but has a thinner wire and is a bit cheaper. Don't be tempted; it's a false economy! The Enduro has a good range of readings and has proved easy to use and reliable (after the intitial set-up, which is a bit of a pig on most cycle computers, as you have to do everything with just 3 buttons).

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Yes....stick with the Enduro 8...excellent...£20 delivered from Amazon.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
There seems to be a consensus of opinion, Cateye Enduro 8, will order from Amazon
Thx all for the info.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I bought a cheap one from Aldi £4.99. Does the job and has a 3 year guarantee. Can't go wrong at that price. They still had stock at local shop on Friday

gray

HD462

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Teesside, UK
Another vote for the Aldi computer. I got one a few weeks ago for my new eBike, just bought another two today, one for my Univega, and one for a bike I might be getting next month as my long service award from work. Can't go wrong for £4.99, and lots of features too.

I've had various computers over the years, from a dear one 20yrs ago to the Aldi ones now. None have ever broke, just been upgraded. I've never had a cable snap on any, so long as you turn the bars lock to lock, and allow for suspension movement when running the cable, so leaving some slack in it, there should be no problem.

stesteste

Pedelecer
May 2, 2012
bradford
I bought a cheap one from Aldi £4.99. Does the job and has a 3 year guarantee. Can't go wrong at that price. They still had stock at local shop on Friday

gray
me 2 bought that 1 after buying a 15 pound 1 and it cut out at 20mph 4.99 is alot better

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I am sure the Aldi ones are quite adequate set up, but i like to know when i am breaking the speed limit, that i do not exceed 5mph above so i can appeal my speeding ticket;), so will require a setup i can trust to be accurate.
I have ordered the Cateye Enduro 8 via Amazon £21.73 inc postage

Last edited:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Jazper, you'll probably hate me for this but Merlin Cycles are knocking out that model for £17.96 inc p&p.

Indalo
Your right, and with the difference I could of got the one from Aldi as well ...such is life, but should save on the speeding tickets.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We could spend all our lives seeking out the cheapest option and then chasing round in circles to find the lowest possible price source for it. Taken to the ultimate, we'd never buy anything out of fear that it might be cheaper somewhere else tomorrow.

There's much to be said for just buying something known to be good and enjoying it, without excessively worrying about the cost.