Cycling. Health. Covid. Diet.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
It's not surprising they don't have time for a chat with a human, when you see them they have sex on their mind. These are Tegenaria species, mainly Tegenaria domestica, and they are very clever at finding nooks and crannies in homes where they hide inside funnel webs most of the year, feeding on any unwary insect or spider that trips over one of their web lines.

Mainly around July-August the males get the mating urge and go on a high speed walkabout, looking for females, so that is when we most commonly see them. Like all creatures when sex takes control of their minds, they can act daft, such as tumbling into the bathtub from which they cannot climb out.
Actually, Flecc, apart from the interesting information you mentioned there, you just reminded me of a question that I was discussing with my partner this morning: What do tiny spiderlings eat? Like a lot of women, she doesn't like spiders much, but I find them to be rather intriguing creatures. I was thinking the other day when I spotted a really tiny spider - 'What do these things eat?' They are far too small to catch flies. My partner suggested they may chance upon organic debris or dead flies and try to tear off a bit. I was wondering about those minute dust mite type creatures. These must exist outside our houses - birds nests for example. Maybe they eat the dust in our homes, a large part of which is discarded human skin cells....

On my way to google the subject right now. I had intended to break out the electric velocipede, but it is raining now.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
On my way to google the subject right now. I had intended to break out the electric velocipede, but it is raining now.
I often go ebiking in the rain, but I noticed rust on my chain the other day - that chain has done about 750 miles... maybe I should replace it... or should I scrub it with wire wool, clean with some sort of degreaser and re-oil? It's not slipping, probably hasn't stretched (will check with a tool later).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually, Flecc, apart from the interesting information you mentioned there, you just reminded me of a question that I was discussing with my partner this morning: What do tiny spiderlings eat? Like a lot of women, she doesn't like spiders much, but I find them to be rather intriguing creatures. I was thinking the other day when I spotted a really tiny spider - 'What do these things eat?' Thye are far too small to catch flies. My partner suggested they may chance upon organic debris or dead flies and try to tear off a bit. I was wondering about those minute dust mite type creatures. These must exist outside our houses - birds nests for example. Maybe they eat the dust in our homes, a larg part of which is discarded human skin cells....

Insects including flies exist down to below what we can see with the naked eye, so that is what they eat. To give some idea, a square metre of woodland soil recently minutely examined revealed, apart from major creatures like worms, the following:

Over 1600 larvae of microflies.

Over 15,000 springtails.

Over 20,000 mites.

So they don't have to go far for a meal. In fact spiderlings are born with around a week of food in their abdomens and many spider mothers stay with their young and like the Nursery Web Spider, even provide them with a protective web which catches things for them.

This link may interest you.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Insects including flies exist down to below what we can see with the naked eye, so that is what they eat. To give some idea, a square metre of woodland soil recently minutely examined revealed, apart from major creatures like worms, the following:

Over 1600 larvae of microflies.

Over 15,000 springtails.

Over 20,000 mites.

So they don't have to go far for a meal. In fact spiderlings are born with around a week of food in their abdomens and many spider mothers stay with their young and like the Nursery Web Spider, even provide them with a protective web which catches things for them.

Surprisingly smart for their size:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I often go ebiking in the rain, but I noticed rust on my chain the other day - that chain has done about 750 miles... maybe I should replace it... or should I scrub it with wire wool, clean with some sort of degreaser and re-oil? It's not slipping, probably hasn't stretched (will check with a tool later).
Hypoid 90 gear oil. Put a few drops on your chain every now and again to protect it from moisture.

Reactions: guerney

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Hypoid 90 gear oil. Put a few drops on your chain every now and again to protect it from moisture.
I use that on all my bikes and motorbikes, but sparingly on the motorcycles as I don't want it flung onto the tyres for obvious reasons. I pt it on with a paintbrush about 5mm in size.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016

Yes - and also, I see that they will eat their own spiderling brothers and unhatched eggs in the nursery web - not to mention their own mothers in some cases, but that seems to be a particular sort which offer that service by sort of, dissolving themselves for the purpose. Thanks.

EDIT:

Excellent wildlife site you made there. Lots to see there. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Sounds a good way to go. Does anyone know it's environment impact?

What dose is needed to give maximum protection against Covid?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Reactions: richtea99

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sounds a good way to go. Does anyone know it's environment impact?
This is likely the best way for most of us (those not actively making massive quantities of oxygen, or operate carbon negative tech on a vast enough scale to rapidly reverse climate change) to reduce our environmental impact:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Good man!
I've made my own natto in the past as well. I find it a bit hit and miss. You need to leave it long enough for the bacteria to multiply, but no so long that the beans start to go a bit off!
Its an art I've obviously not mastered well enough :-(
I've made it with (the traditional) soy beans, but I have heard that chickpeas work as well - I'll have to give it a go. I like chickpeas :)

Whether or not it helps directly with Covid is perhaps a moot point. Natto is really, really good for you. Its not just the fermented/probiotic aspect, its the fact that its incredibly high in vitamin K2 MK-7 (like - super, incredibly high!!).
Does making natto with chickpeas have the same K2 content ?? I don't know on that one.

You may have inspired me to defrost a cube of natto to make a starter and I'll give the chickpea version a go later this weekend!

The world's oldest Iron Man eats Natto every day - I don't there's any hope of me being that fit, or indeed anywhere near as motivated at 70, let alone 90!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm hoping Natto will help stave off heart troubles... mind you, ebiking is absurdly easy at the mo (apart from me knees):

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I only wish.
But he may be my long lost brother, and our thoughts are co-joined by quantum entanglement ...
Fatherhood can sometimes cause quite radical changes in blokes.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I'm hoping Natto will help stave off heart troubles...
I seem to recall that's how I stumbled on Natto in the first place. Its the K2 MK7 that was supposed to help de-calcify your arteries. I think the juries still out on that one, but the general health benefits of Natto (and K2 MK7) are hard to ignore, so its a bit of a no brainer to take it. (Although one of the reasons I've not been so religious with the Natto in the last year or so, is that the Vitamin D supplement I take has K2 MK7 added)

I've not had a CAC scan done, but after doing my research, I kind of guessed that as I'd been eating a 'normal' diet for decades, like most blokes, I was probably well on the way to a heart attack if I didn't radically change my lifestyle.

Anyway. The chickpeas are cooked, a cube of frozen Natto has been defrosted and stirred in, and they are in the multi-cooker thing on the yogurt setting :)
I've also covered them with pierced foil this time to try and keep some of the moisture in. We'll see if that makes a difference.
How long to leave them? Did you say 20 hrs ??

Reactions: guerney

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Fatherhood can sometimes cause quite radical changes in blokes.
So can going into therapy for drug addiction, and then discovering spirituality!
But whatever happened to our Russ, he seems a really good bloke now. And I still can't believe I'm saying that :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I seem to recall that's how I stumbled on Natto in the first place. Its the K2 MK7 that was supposed to help de-calcify your arteries. I think the juries still out on that one, but the general health benefits of Natto (and K2 MK7) are hard to ignore, so its a bit of a no brainer to take it. (Although one of the reasons I've not been so religious with the Natto in the last year or so, is that the Vitamin D supplement I take has K2 MK7 added)

I've not had a CAC scan done, but after doing my research, I kind of guessed that as I'd been eating a 'normal' diet for decades, like most blokes, I was probably well on the way to a heart attack if I didn't radically change my lifestyle.

Anyway. The chickpeas are cooked, a cube of frozen Natto has been defrosted and stirred in, and they are in the multi-cooker thing on the yogurt setting :)
I've also covered them with pierced foil this time to try and keep some of the moisture in. We'll see if that makes a difference.
How long to leave them? Did you say 20 hrs ??

My first batch was the best - I followed these instructions on the packet, which I've translated using Google Lens from the original Chinese (or Japanese or Korean):

-----
NATTO POWDER

Ingredients list:

Maltodextrin,

Natto powder

How to eat: This product is active natto powder, which can be
consumed directly with water or used to make natto.

Consumption: no more than 10 grams per day

Homemade natto method:

1. Select beans Choose 150-200 grams of fresh soybeans produced in
the year and clean them;

2. Soak the beans. Soak the soybeans in clean water for 24 hours,
and the expansion of the soybeans can be clearly observed;

3. Steam the beans. Pour out the soaking water, put the soaked
soybeans in a stainless steel container, and then use a rice cooker
or pressure cooker to steam

(If steaming with a rice cooker, it usually takes about 3 hours to
steam), until the soybeans can be crushed with your fingers (Note:
Do not pour away

Sap from steamed soybeans);

4. Fermentation: Let the steamed soybeans cool, take 1 piece of
natto powder, add a little bit of cold boiled water to dissolve, and
then pour the steamed soybeans.

Beans, stir well, cover with lid, put into natto machine for
fermentation;

5. Mature and ferment for about 20 hours. When you observe that
soybeans are covered with a white film, you can smell the unique
fragrance of natto

When qi, the fermentation has been successful;

6. Eat the fermented natto, the more you stir, the more sticky it
becomes. You can eat natto in your favorite way. If you can't eat
natto at one time, please seal it up and put it in the refrigerator
for storage.

------

I usually go with 43 degrees C using:

It has variable temp and time controls - £20 delivered.

My latest batch has failed - not a lot of slimy but highly beneficial for heath goo on this lot. On it's own, Natto is pretty dull, so I usually add a bit of soya sauce, or cold tinned tomatoes fried in a pan with garlic salt and pepper, then chilled in the fridge before mixing in with the Natto. Of course, it's best eaten cold to preserve the probiotics.

Another inspirational very old guy:

These do look like fun:

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
S1030765.jpg

thats my Vitamin c 3 months under a 600w bulb and 512g dry :cool: