Cycling. Health. Covid. Diet.

D

Deleted member 33385

And the same goes for proper cast iron casseroles and woks.

This is the best there is in stainless steel:

...because the steel is so thick, they exhibit the same far-infrared cooking characteristics as cast iron, but you don't get the tang or slight extra dose of iron in your diet. Bloody expensive too! I've got one from 1980, and it's still going strong. The far-infrared heat they emit cooks any water-rich ingredient quickly and thoroughly. Food cooked in cast iron or insanely thick stainless steel tastes awesome, and lasts forever (unless the welds fail on stainless steel)(cast iron lasts forever).

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Due to concerns over "teflon" (PTFE) and the shite it results in releasing into the environment during manufacture and use, I've moved to ceramic coated frying pans. They are ok, but I still find I need to bake on a layer of oil first to stop things from sticking.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
How about
"Dave's Perfluorooctanoic acid autoimmune destroyer"

Kind of rolls off the tongue don't you think ? (almost as easily as those toxins roll off the teflon flying pan :) )

That's so true. This crap from "teflon" like chemicals will be polluting the environment for thousands of years.

D

Deleted member 33385

Due to concerns over "teflon" (PTFE) and the shite it results in releasing into the environment during manufacture and use, I've moved to ceramic coated frying pans. They are ok, but I still find I need to bake on a layer of oil first to stop things from sticking.

Everything about PTFE is poison. It embeds itself in the body causing birth defects and inflammation, and it never breaks down. Since the patent expired, any company can pollute the environment (including groundwater, waterways and water supplies), animals and people with it and it's production. It's even sprayed on many fabrics to make them waterproof, which gets into lungs as it flakes off. You might breathe it in when it flakes off passing cars and bikes, because it's commonly used in lubricants.

Some ceramic on ceramic coated pans is similar to that on enamelled cast iron, they tend to flake off and it's essentially a sort of glass, which doesn't do your guts much good if fragments are not small enough to be dissolved by stomach acid. The polymer/ceramic coated pans are quite concerning, as many of the chemicals used have never been tested for safety. Cheapo stainless steel pans can be made non-stick by seasoning, just treat it like cast iron.

Last edited:

Foranangel

Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Manchester
The main thing in sports is nutrition. If you decide to start losing weight, the first thing you should do is make a meal plan. Your diet should include proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and preferably avoid sugar. I know it's complicated, but there are many food additives that you can use as a dessert. I added bladderwrack to my diet, as I read many benefits of this dietary supplement on https://druggenius.com/nutrition/bladderwrack-uses-benefits-and-side-effects/. When you start losing weight thanks to the diet, only then can you start doing strength exercises.

D

Deleted member 33385

When you start losing weight thanks to the diet, only then can you start doing strength exercises.
I agree - having tried exercising while at the same time consuming a reduced daily calorie intake, it was unbelievably tough, but it does have it's merits - you lose less muscle mass if you ecercise at the same time, because muscle is easier to utilise for energy than fat. Personally I found it too difficult and ended up with exhaustion and colds, so now I alternate between periods of muscle strengthening and intermittent fasting... talking of which I've lost another 6 pounds since my last post on this thread. You really do lose a consistent 2 pounds a week intermittent fasting. My weight goal is toward every slightly too light, so that I can swing between a bit fatter and thinner, within planned limits. Once I'm at my target weight (less than a stone to go), I'll start strengthening and muscle building in earnest...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

B.1.1.7 Covid. Get fit & healthy motivation:

BMJ Study behind the headline:

Last edited:

lemian

Banned
Nov 21, 2020
Detroit
The main thing in sports is nutrition. If you decide to start losing weight, the first thing you should do is make a meal plan. Your diet should include proteins, fats, carbohydrates, and preferably avoid sugar. I know it's complicated, but there are many food additives that you can use as a dessert. I added bladderwrack to my diet, as I read many benefits of this dietary supplement on https://druggenius.com/nutrition/bladderwrack-uses-benefits-and-side-effects/. When you start losing weight thanks to the diet, only then can you start doing strength exercises.
Why didn’t anyone tell me about this some months ago?!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
S1030690.jpg

its £4.10 a bottle now and only get 2.5l :mad: and i still cant find a bottle cage for my bike to fit those :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 41227

its £4.10 a bottle now and only get 2.5l :mad: and i still cant find a bottle cage for my bike to fit those :rolleyes:

Glueing these on will see you right:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got one of these to go on a mission lol. :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
S1030523.jpg

i know ;)

• :D

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I know it's complicated, but there are many food additives that you can use as a dessert
I've often wondered. Why do so many people need to to have desserts?
Its not exactly a natural thing is it? you don't get a lion gorging on a gazelle and then needing to finish off the meal with a bakewell tart or similar
??
Where did the habit of needing desserts come from. Anyone know?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Now dessert you are talking my language, Rhubarbly crumble, Bread n Butter pudd or a nice bit of spotted dick bloody lovely.

D

Deleted member 33385

I've often wondered. Why do so many people need to to have desserts?
Its not exactly a natural thing is it? you don't get a lion gorging on a gazelle and then needing to finish off the meal with a bakewell tart or similar
??
Where did the habit of needing desserts come from. Anyone know?

It's because humans haven't physically evolved very much since our hunter gatherer days:

...and it takes too long for your brain to get it's highly addictive dopamine hit from the food you've just eaten, if it gets one at all (unlikely from meat and two veg) - hence dessert.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
It's because humans haven't physically evolved very much since our hunter gatherer days:
...and it takes too long for your brain to get it's highly addictive dopamine hit from the food you've just eaten, if it gets one at all (unlikely from meat and two veg) - hence dessert.
So what about humans such as indigenous tribes that haven't been 'westernised'. Do they also eat desserts after their normal meals?

D

Deleted member 33385

So what about humans such as indigenous tribes that haven't been 'westernised'. Do they also eat desserts after their normal meals?

Easy access to dessert is a very modern feature of current hunter gatherer life. Uncontacted tribes in the Outer Hebrides (such as the highly fictitious McFeegles) would find desserts thin on the ground, in the form of summer strawberries, which they'd have to ferment to preserve over winter to make that long forgotten stone age classic - strawberry wine, best enjoyed with rabbit roasted over the tribe campfire. Hence the customary consumption of a glass of vino with one's supper began...

In warmer climates of course there is an abundance of tree dwelling desserts - we could ask one of the other uncontacted peoples (and distant cousins of the McFeegles), living on North Sentinel Island:

...but the last time someone tried to enquire about the origins of their dessert recipes and customs, he was shot to death with arrows.

We could venture far back in time, to fermented fruit in the rift valley - combined dessert and alcohol! In a luggable convenient over-ripe fruit shaped fruity package too!

??

Unlike cats of all sizes, our bodies can't manufacture vitamin C.

Last edited: