Cyclists avoiding cycle lanes

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Cramlington New Town (Northumberland) was designed with dedicated cycle tracks away from the roads, this allows quick direct access for cyclists.
The downside is the tracks were put down decades ago, many are now needing repair or have been repaired badly, others have uneven surfaces. They are rarely swept so debris is always a risk.

Nearby North Shields (Tyneside) removed obsolete train lines to create a large network of gravel tracks, named Waggonways. On a mountainbike they're great, on a roadie they would be a nightmare.

Both councils have created dedicated cycle tracks on the past 20 years, these often have tree roots or tree trunks causing hazards, and many have dropped kerbs where they cross footpaths or farm gates. I refuse to ride on the newer routes as I find them dangerous even on a mountainbike, riding on the road is the safer option.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Depends. Purpose built cycle lanes completely separate to the adjacent road and with a barrier/ raised curb structure so that the cycle lane is entirely separate from the road is one thing and I would happily cycle on.

A white line painted on the road where the camber of the road dips into the curb often covered in debris is another, and I think are actually dangerous as they encourage cars to overtake without consideration and generally squeezing by.

Those type for my own safety I need to ride probably just outside of or at best just inside the line that is meant to indicate the edge of the cycle lane.
Just over a year ago, I flew over my handlebars and landed on my helmeted head after hitting a tree trunk sticking out of the tarmac, it's not the most desirable of experiences. I almsot edited my post to include segregated cycle lanes with barriers on roads, and should have, but that's an even greater order of irrational fantasy - construction of those in my area would require the commandeering of gardens and demolition of properties around the entire road network, in order to make room. Which won't ever happen. I haven't ever cycled in Holland, but they do appear to have it more right over there. Of course, with the recent increase of cyclists (and stupid escooterists in rinja outfits [correctly pronounced as "Rinja!! HAI!!" in kung fu films]) on the roads and pavements, this is probably a hotter topic now than it was pre-pandemic.

Last edited:

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
I live in a rural area so don’t have cycle lanes, just country lanes which have their own hazards, but when I venture into the city, my nearest are Newport and Cardiff, I tend to stick to the cycle lanes when they are available which, in the most part, are pretty good. However, I’m on a hybrid bike and am usually not in any hurry so am quite happy to trundle long dodging pedestrians, holes and whatever else.

I do understand though that those on road bikes have a different need and would prefer to be on the road. They usually keep up a reasonable speed anyway and quite often it is the motorised vehicles holding them up!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: flecc and Bikes4two

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Isn't that a layby for break downs as part of the new smart road system ;) ,
Or the shortest cycle lane in the world.
I suppose handy for puncture repairs. But a bit like the bays at intervals provided on "Smart" motorways where traffic drives on the hard shoulder, only if you break down in the right spot.

Only good for lucky unlucky events. :(

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016
This is a favorite rubbish cycle lane of mine:
Just disappears into the pavement. I refuse to use it as car drivers seem to otherwise think I will just disappear into the pavement too while they move over to avoid that traffic island.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
There are a lot of cycle lanes around the main roads here and most are in pretty good condition.
DO I use them?
Sometimes - and some lanes.
The problems are many fold.
a) for some you can be riding along for a while and only then realise that the pavement next to the road is a cycle lane - no indication easily noticeable before hand.
On the same note - a lot of perfectly good cycle lanes stop with no indication. So you end up cycling along a pavement that gradually gets narrower and narrower until you start thinking maybe it isn;t a cycle lane anymore.
b) Bad planning for the end of teh lane - one just ends with a dropped kerb at right angles to the road and a sign saying "Cyclists dismount" - hardly encouraging.
Others end but with no though about how you rejoin safely - it's not hard, one or two end by dropping down onto a painted lane on teh road and you end up filtering onto the road easily and safely - but most don't.
c)Some cross multiple entraces, driveways and roads with no priority indicated for bike - hence the cyclist has to slow and check at each one. One road goes through an area witha lot of factories and other industrial places. Every 50 yards or so there is a drop of about 1 inch to gates - then up another 1 inch. - really not worth using.
d) There is one that is very good but is a 2 way cycle lane on a major dual carrigeway. Hence cyclist on the other side are expected to cross at a crossing, join the cycle path, then at the end (only a few miles) cross back again. As above there is no indication on 'the other side' that any of this exists!

All this in spite of me using a normal hybrid type ebike and running at a normal speed - i.e. below the cutoff (just) so my tyres have some cushioning effect and are not rock hard skinny road tyres.

Having said all that - the cycle path surface is generally good - the one over the newly refurbished Widnes Runcorn bridge is great - but not very long!!

• Informative
Reactions: flecc