Cyclone vs Bafang - key differences, reliability etc

krzychoniusz

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
London
As in the subject line, at first glance cyclone mid drive kits seem to be quite similar to Bafang kits and yet they are half the price, what are the differences in performance, reliability etc. as it seems like cyclone is not that popular among fellow enthusiasts?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Cyclone ones have been much poorer quality. They've a long history of suffering from water ingress and corrosion, so it's important to make sure any installation is protected by shielding and water proofing. The mounting parts of their older kits were crude too, though they do seem to have tidied some of their newer products. Despite that the history makes one wary of course.

Bafang products are good quality.

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Lifting this question again.

I have changed from Bosch CX to Bafang BBS01 because the Bosch Broke all the time, but now I have just serviced the BBS01 and it seems it was not good anyway.

Don't like this built-in systems with 50 bearings and washers and so many things with difficult maintenance.

What if every component could be not built in but easily accesible for maintenance and visual inspection. These rather strange Cyclone kits seems to be just that:
http://www.turbobikekit.com/fast-cyclone-electric-bike-kit/cyclone-fast-ebike-1/cyclone-electric-bike-Kit-1680watt-36v-60volt-battery

Is that the one you were referring above? Don't think it looks so similar to BBS so I just wonder. But that kit could be nice if it works good?

(imagine welding the motor mount on a frame rather than having to use the brackets, neat solution)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What if every component could be not built in but easily accesible for maintenance and visual inspection.
then it would look like an old steam locomotive.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Looks very uncomfortable if you slip forward off the saddle.