Cyclotricity 250w front hub kit: KT LED890 issues

niggle

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2017
Cornwall, near England
Hi all, I recently fitted a Cyclotricity 250W front hub kit from Powerbikes on my touring bike (with PAS and not using throttle as it wont fit the drop bars) and all was fine until I tried using the instructions to alter speed limit and wheel size, as per this pdf on the Powerbikes website: https://powerbikes.uk/images/ekit-led-dashboard-user-manual-3rd-edition.pdf
However it just did not work as per the instructions, the speed adjustment mode, with low power and speedo lights flashing, did not allow any adjustment, i.e. it did not respond to pushing either on/off or mode buttons. In the second mode, with med power lit, the wheel size could be altered so as an attempt to approximate an mph readout on the speedo I changed the wheel size setting to 4 bars, i.e. 18". The bike rode normally but the speedo only showed one bar at around 10mph, two bars at around 15mph, three once I had gone well above the limit of assistance, much lower than I had expected. I have since gone back in to reset wheel size to 10 bars i.e. 28" but the speedo is still showing the same very low readings, so looks like I have messed something up. Could I have accidentally changed a parameter in the P1-P5 settings as per this pdf http://www.szktdz.com/upload/file/20140813/20140813081138_34669.pdf ?

Reactions: Woosh

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I can't read your PDF, but there are normally two parameters that affect the speed readout - wheel diameter and number of magnets (pulses per revolution) in the sensor. If your speed reads 50%, halve the number of pulses.

Last edited:
Reactions: niggle

niggle

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2017
Cornwall, near England
I can't read your PDF, but there are normally two parameters that affect the speed readout - wheel diameter and number of magnets (pulses per revolution) in the sensor. If your speed reads 50%, halve the number of pulses.
Yes there is a setting, P2, for number of speed sensor pulses per revolution, I will try altering that. Range of settings is 0-6, I would say the speedo reading is more like 1/4 or even 1/6 of what it should be.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
List your parameter settings so they can be looked at, an obvious setting may be detected.

Reactions: niggle

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
P2 is usually 1 or 6.

P1 value if changed dramatically will give an incorrect cut off assist speed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Could be, I haven't bothered looking to count the speed sensor magnets in Bafang CST but assume it has 6 as on P2 #1 I see no speed indicated when coasting only when motor is operating under power but P2 #6 and I get a speed reading when coasting.
My Yose hub and Akiema both work normally with P2#1 as does my BPM which uses the single spoke magnet.

Zoi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 4, 2019
Re: changing the speed limit on the KT LED890. You have to keep pressing the down button many times before it will register on the led dial, because the default speed limit is set ridiculously high.

niggle

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2017
Cornwall, near England
Update: I played with all settings a lot and weirdly the actual cut-off speed never seemed to change, regardless of what the speedo was saying. I did manage to get the speedo to show an aproximation of mph speed but only when pedaling, when I stopped pedaling it would briefly drop to zero then shoot up to a higher kph-like reading. I then copied over the settings from my wife's bike and everything went back to normal in kph. Guess I can fit a cheap bike computer to get an mph reading, an odometer would be handy in any case.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Update: I played with all settings a lot and weirdly the actual cut-off speed never seemed to change, regardless of what the speedo was saying. I did manage to get the speedo to show an aproximation of mph speed but only when pedaling, when I stopped pedaling it would briefly drop to zero then shoot up to a higher kph-like reading. I then copied over the settings from my wife's bike and everything went back to normal in kph. Guess I can fit a cheap bike computer to get an mph reading, an odometer would be handy in any case.
Either you have the wrong P2 setting (normally = 1) or your speed sensor isn't working.

Why can't you set your display to mph in the basic settings?