Dahon Folding Bike

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009

What about a front-hub motor and a battery on a rack at the back? Is this possible without breaking the bank?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Nope :p

Jerry

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Freedomebikes.com offer a lightweight kit for £470 plus postage. The owner of the business has posted on this forum several time recently. I've not bought one yet, but I have been tempted...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Which kit is that oh5rm ?

How do 24v Tongxins compare to 36v ones on smaller wheeled bikes ?

PS never seen a black Tongxin before.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Freedomebikes.com offer a lightweight kit for £470 plus postage. The owner of the business has posted on this forum several time recently. I've not bought one yet, but I have been tempted...
Andy, I had a good email chat with them yesterday they seem very responsive and helpful.

They are based abroad and stuff ships from there so you would be likely stung for import duty as well :(

I agree though its not a bad looking setup.

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Hmmm

Quite an interesting site

Google Translate

Some nice battery options plus seems to cater for smaller bikes.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Yes, with something like this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2687/4015717983_ba6cc28326_b.jpg

Battery 28v 9Ah is in the bag in front of the basket, Motor Tongxin 24V
That is a lovely setup.

I've just received a photo from a DIY'er (who is not on this forum, unfortunately) showing a lovely Dahon Matrix with the new "hidden" hinge system, a Tongxin (190rpm, 16" wheels) and a small A123 battery inside a very discrete handlebar bag...it looks fantastic ! :) (that would be a good use for my "left-over" Tongxin)

This guy also makes his own controllers and builds superb switch gear out of solid aluminium...but it wouldn't be right from me to post any of his "private" photos on here. All I can say is that his Brompton looks much sleeker than mine !! :D It is clear that packaging the cables correctly and trimming unnecessary wires adds a lot of quality to the build.

Cheers, Dan

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Yes I saw that :) Shame about the lame music, I'd rather hear the motor whizz (if any), and in this video the riders look like they are "struggling" to pedal ??

Anyway, nice to see it in the flesh...does it mean it's already available for purchase on selected continents ?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Yes I saw that :) and in this video the riders look like they are "struggling" to pedal ??
Yep looked like the bottom bracket was just a big jar of treacle, the pedal action looked rather odd to say the least.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yep looked like the bottom bracket was just a big jar of treacle, the pedal action looked rather odd to say the least.
I think it's just the riders, probably not regular cyclists. The BB is part of the Sunstar unit and reviews of it have
found nothing wrong with it's action. The only two possibly adverse comments on this sophisticated unit are,
first that it's very much on the low powered side and second, that selecting the differing internal DIP switches
that are supposed to adjust for different wheel sizes doesn't seem to make any difference.

Given it's low power set against the climb advantage of a small wheel, folders are probably the best application
for the Sunstar.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I only know of two that I've read, one in the Velovision magazine and the other I think in A to B magazine.
A French acquaintance (Sunstar in Europe are sold from France) reports much the same as the reviews, low
powered but smooth, sophisticated and well made like the Panasonic unit.

You can have a look at the kit photo and unit internals on this French private website:

Le Kit Sunstar S01 - Le blog d'Emmanuel

I'll try to dig out details of which issues those reviews are in.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Hi Flecc, are you talking about the S01 system, or S02 ? They are quite different it seems (pedal sensor, power specs, etc). Cheers, Dan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It will be the earlier one in both cases (SO1?), the general design the same, mainly some extra power making a
difference since the pedal sensing caused no problems it seems. I doubt there are any reviews of the later model
yet, since Emmanuel's webpage on the SO1 is very recent and that was the model available to the trade in
France at the time.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited: