Damaged Bafang Fun8 does this sound like your motor?

Gurnard

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2015
I have bought a Bafang Fun8 motor from a China company (BMS Battery.com I would *not* recommend them).
The motor was damaged when I received it. The bottom bracket shaft is bent towards the body of the motor.

The company suggest I try to bend it back but I am worried that internals of the motor may also be damaged. I rigged it up so it can run and it runs but makes some noise.

Can anyone verify in the video that the motor sounds like it is running correctly or does it sound like there might be some internal damage. Does this video sound like your bafang fun 8 motor or does it sound damaged.

I need to establish this before trying to fix or if I continue with a claim.

Thanks for reading.

This is the video of the motor running

This is the video of the damage if anyone is interested. Due to poor packing I think.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I have bought a Bafang Fun8 motor from a China company (BMS Battery.com I would *not* recommend them).
The motor was damaged when I received it. The bottom bracket shaft is bent towards the body of the motor.

The company suggest I try to bend it back but I am worried that internals of the motor may also be damaged. I rigged it up so it can run and it runs but makes some noise.

Can anyone verify in the video that the motor sounds like it is running correctly or does it sound like there might be some internal damage. Does this video sound like your bafang fun 8 motor or does it sound damaged.

I need to establish this before trying to fix or if I continue with a claim.

Thanks for reading.

This is the video of the motor running

This is the video of the damage if anyone is interested. Due to poor packing I think.
Firstly, the motor sounds like it's running ok. The clicking sound is the pawls in the mechanism making a noise, because the crankshaft isn't turning at the same time as the motor. You won't get this sound once pedals are on and turning.

Secondly, it all depends on what you're comfortable with doing.
If the shaft only needs bending a millimetre, then I would personally give it a go.

If it looks like it needs too much force to bend, or more than a millimetre or two, then I would persue a warranty claim or get my money back.

If you paid with PayPal or credit card, then you'll be ok.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like its about 3mm or 1/8" out of line, I wouldn't fit and persue a claim.
Chain line will be not to clever and may probably come off in top and bottom gears. More then likely the misalignment occurred during production or item may have been dropped prior to packaging at the factory and QC has failed or was non existent.

Gurnard

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2015
Thanks for viewing and the replies.

Yes the claiming path is the one I originally wanted to take but bmsbattery.com are not being very co-operative on that front and suggest I fix it.
As I say I would not recommend using bmsbattery.com and won't be returning to them.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for viewing and the replies.

Yes the claiming path is the one I originally wanted to take but bmsbattery.com are not being very co-operative on that front and suggest I fix it.
As I say I would not recommend using bmsbattery.com and won't be returning to them.
The only viable fixing route is to replace the casing with a new one I'm afraid.
Even if they sent you a new case, it's a big job and not for the faint hearted. Definitely not recommended if they offer you this option!

If you paid via PayPal, then escalating a claim usually gets them motivated.

I've never had to claim via PayPal or eBay, but I'm sure there's a 'not fit for purpose' option in the claims procedure.

Last edited:
The company suggest I try to bend it back but I am worried that internals of the motor may also be damaged
Hello Gurnard,
I guess that bend back is the only choise you have because I dont belief that BMS take the motor back and if they doe so it will take a long time and you must spend again money to send back the package (40-50GBP shipping-fee) and then waiting 4-5weeks waiting before it arrive in china and hope the best ....

I had once the same problem and I did bend it back and so far it works but as a mechanic I´m still not really comfortable with bend back alloy, I simply took it as my only chance to build up the bike in time because my next flight to china was some month far away.
The internal are not damaged from this I would assume.

Dealing with china can save money but it is always a risk.
the price is cheaper but the question is whether it is worth to take the risk. "Eclipsebike" price in Uk is not so much higher and warranty is much easier to handle.....

regards
frank

Gurnard

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2015
I had once the same problem and I did bend it back and so far it works but as a mechanic I´m still not really comfortable with bend back alloy,
but as a mechanic I´m still not really comfortable with bend back alloy
Yeah I am no mechanic. The reason it is damaged is that the company did not pack the item correctly in the first place it was loose in the box with some broken polystyrene thrown it.

For me this is the responsibility of the company to at least try to pack it correctly if it is travelling so far.

I cannot afford to just throw away money like that on damaged items. I at least expect a company to try their best to send me an item that is not damaged no matter what country in the world.

Hello Gurnard,

I agree with you that the failure is made in the first place at BMS with the stupid packing but the question is how to deal with it now because I don´t belief they will send you a new Motor.
I just told you how I´ve dealt once with a similar problem.

Even you complain about them via paypal and open a case... I still don´t belief they will react on it but of course try it and tell the forum how they have response on it, I guess a lot of people like to know, thank you

Regards
frank

Btw, check this out:

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hello Gurnard,

I agree with you that the failure is made in the first place at BMS with the stupid packing but the question is how to deal with it now because I don´t belief they will send you a new Motor.
I just told you how I´ve dealt once with a similar problem.

Even you complain about them via paypal and open a case... I still don´t belief they will react on it but of course try it and tell the forum how they have response on it, I guess a lot of people like to know, thank you

Regards
frank

Btw, check this out:
Ha ha, that video's mint Frank. The funny thing is that he's actually making more work for himself lol.