Decision Time

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
lots of e bike couriers on ebay. most people selling while not prepared to arrange themselves will go along with it you arrange everything....

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The chap has 2 on ebay, a large and small frame.

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
Overland,
If your really bothered about being seen on an Ebike then you could try the gruber assist. Not cheap, but so slick there have been accusations of mechanical doping using this system. It also retrofits to bikes with a straight down tube.

ElectricMountainBikes.com: Gruber Assist

This is a uk supplier £1900 installed.

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
CheKmx
Now thats neat, but i think i am just being silly, it just took me back how easy it was to tell it was an e-bike.

I have been doing a lot of thinking today what i need out of the e-bike and i have decided the following. I have changed my commute route, went out and drove the route today to check it out. On this route which adds 3 miles each way gives me the opportunity to bail out if my knee hurts as i pass 3 train stations. That takes care of the route, i need to get fit (wont get fit pulling a throttle :) ) and lose weight while the knee heals. So what after, from what i am reading here an e-bike has tons of uses, will use it as my winter hack so the bike will still get used. My biggest concern is the low cadence speed of 40 with the Agattu, but as long as it does the job i will be happy. Looked at all the suggestions and some of the bikes are fantastic but i need to remember this bike will end up as a winter hack. So low maintenance is the key and good quality as i need reliability for work is needed.

If i spend too much on an e-bike i will get divorced so the 2K plus bikes are out, want to buy the Rohloff equipped Thorn Raven Nomad S&S when i am back to fitness :) so e-bike cost needs trimmed back.

So 90 % certain i will order the Agattu this week after i try the Giant bikes again on Tuesday. But i need a bike this week, just can't hack this nibbling on food, like my grub. When i was fit i must have burned it off, cant believe how fast the weight has piled on :(

Looking forward to getting into these e-bikes not just from a riding view but i am a scientist and all things mechanical fascinate me, these e-bikes look fun and interesting.

kevelec

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2010
Dublin
Have you considered a Gazelle Innergy? It strikes me that the most recognizable feature of an E-bike is the battery. Those of the Innergies are located under the rear carrier and, in my view, are not readily apparent to other than the knowledgeable observer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My biggest concern is the low cadence speed of 40 with the Agattu, but as long as it does the job i will be happy.

So 90 % certain i will order the Agattu this week after i try the Giant bikes again on Tuesday.
Just change the standard 9 tooth motor sprocket for a Panaonic 11 tooth (from 50cycles) and the highest cadence for maximum power increases to 49.

There's also a 12 tooth available from this German site which increases the cadence to 53.

Both these raise the gearing to give higher phase down from maximum power, 11.5 mph and 12.5 mph respectively, but reduce the battery range as well.

Alternatively you could increase the rear sprocket from 22 tooth to 24 tooth and adjust those power phase downs back to roughly normal with those larger motor sprockets, while keeping the higher cadences.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Have you seen the Trek branded ebikes with SB rear motor? You might be able to convert it to a cytronex kit when required rather than buying a new bike. I've never seen a write up on one though so it may be brilliant or just a jumble of bits from a parts bin.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Yes i did have a look at the trek bikes and they were very nice and they have a nice range of frame sizes. But the deciding factor for me is the hub gears this bike will eventually end up as a winter hack. It will go everywhere in the winter and the hub gears are winners for this.

Going to play it by ear with regards to future e-bikes but never say never :D

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I think if you want to get some exercise then the Kalkhoffs are the way to go. I get no exercise from my Wisper at all really, I just put too little effort in - let the bike do 99% of the work. With the Kalkhoffs you do have to put effort in.

The reason I got my trike was to get exercise in a fun way. I try to use it hree times a week and mostly I do, sometimes fall back to twice a week but that's rare. Try to do a long ride at the weekend. Did another 30 hilly miler on Saturday. Don't know if I'm improving really.

Vikki.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I think if you want to get some exercise then the Kalkhoffs are the way to go. I get no exercise from my Wisper at all really, I just put too little effort in - let the bike do 99% of the work. With the Kalkhoffs you do have to put effort in.
I struggle to be lazy on my Wisper, I just can't stop myself trying to go faster and as a result my legs are almost always tired. It's also good when I'm off colour as I don't have to put much effort in at all to get up the hills, I snapped one side of my chain before and was able to get home over the biggest peak in south London* with very gentle pedal effort.

* Not exactly known for it's demanding hills but one colleague of mine said "You ride over that?! I get out of breath driving over it".

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes i did have a look at the trek bikes and they were very nice and they have a nice range of frame sizes. But the deciding factor for me is the hub gears this bike will eventually end up as a winter hack. It will go everywhere in the winter and the hub gears are winners for this.

Going to play it by ear with regards to future e-bikes but never say never :D
just get yourself the large framed Trek Cytronex on ebay? it is a 22.5 inch trek 7.3 hybrid so easy to try locally to see if a good fit

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi Eddieo,

I am watching that bike to see how it goes already got a quote for shipping ~ £30. One big change from this year to last year there are so many more choices of quality bikes this year. Maybe people on this forum do not notice because they are involved on a weekly basis. But i have been out for a year and the choice now is massive, not only choice but availability is also improved. This is much harder than i first imagined, thought i would have a choice of 2-3 bikes but reality is over 20 bikes would do the job. But that can only be good for the e-bike future, i really think they are going mainstream now.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
at the moment cytronex have that niche more or less to themselves.....But that is due to change I think. The Daahub from wisper has a choice of battery sizes (6 and 11 amp I think) Dapush motor, 4 levels of control (including off:D ) Plus the kit will be discreet, but with the choice of more range for those who need it.

If intersted in ebay bike I would try and strike a deal before it ends......

update:

another wisper 905 SE City on ebay, it is in Glasgow this time!

Last edited:

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Hi Eddieo,

I am watching that bike to see how it goes already got a quote for shipping ~ £30. One big change from this year to last year there are so many more choices of quality bikes this year. Maybe people on this forum do not notice because they are involved on a weekly basis. But i have been out for a year and the choice now is massive, not only choice but availability is also improved. This is much harder than i first imagined, thought i would have a choice of 2-3 bikes but reality is over 20 bikes would do the job. But that can only be good for the e-bike future, i really think they are going mainstream now.
Overlander- it's good to see you're still trying to find the discrete ebike- long been an obsession of mine, though I've had to convert to a hub bike.

For pure looks you'd be hard to beat a Cytronex. Hub bikes are out for looks and noise. Panasonics (emotion or Kalkhoff) are best for silence and hill climbing and the batteries are relatively small and discrete.

I'm sure Flecc will rubbish it, but here's something a bit left-field if you've got cash to burn. Kinetics in Glasgow (home to you?) sell the Koga Miyata Tesla in crossbar or step-through and in big sizes for you. Like the Cytronex it has no throttle and runs on NIMH power, but the batteries are in the frame so very discrete. Never seen one and may not be best hill climbers and/or a bit out of date?

Just might be worth a look?

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi Simon,

To be honest they are just too pricey for me as the e-bike is just a stepping stone for me to get back to club level fitness. After that the e-bike will be a winter hack for commuting.

I also sent them 2 e-mails and when i did talk to them on the phone they were getting back to me, still waiting nearly a year later. They must be doing a roaring trade :rolleyes:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
you have a choice of bikes on ebay. the cytronex or the Wisper. Both can be sold on when you are fitter and will probably cost you £100 or so.

The good thing with a Wisper is as long as you get the original receipt form seller the warranty is transferable...Sorry but it a no brainier IMO

no bids on either cytronex as yet, but wisper, 2 bids and up to £620 already. No surprises there, as they are soooooo popular

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
My knees play up from time to time(years of kneeling down working)and I can tell you from experience that using a dodgy knee for anything other than easy peasy can sometimes make it worse.

Who cares if the bike comes down the road sounding like a tank, if you don`t look after that knee it will always be a problem to you. The knee comes first followed by your pride;)

My Evans conversion stays on my van usually because it`s light to lift on and off.
My Powertrek(like wisper) is my hack
My Alien Aurora is when my knees are a bit tricky(med power is better than most other E bikes and high is just so hill climbing:D

quilly21

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2010
HI, Overlander,
I read your earlier posts when I posted about my crank problem,
I have two Panasonic pedelecs, a Pro Connect LX and a Technium which is an Agguta step through clone made by Derby Cycles as is the Kalkhoff.
The LX is the 2010 model and the Technium 2009 model.
the difference in power is noticable. I am used to cycling a normal bike but living in a hilly area commuting has never really bean an option especially with narrow roads with fast drivers. A recently opened cycle track made me rethink.
I tried many different e bikes and found that the crank motor varieties were by far and away the best for me with hills.
There are other crank powered units than Panasonic, Gepida are Yamaha powered and give very smooth power like the Panasonic but only available I believe with Hub gears.
Also Daum Electronic marketed by Velospeed a German Bike.
I read in the forum here of the different style of riding with required with one of these crank motor bikes because of the power to cadence relationship.
Initially I found it very strange, hill climbing is almost counter intuitive with the standard set up, once mastered hill climbing is very easy but you have to use a low gear and low cadence as the faster you pedal the less assistance and the harder it gets. I have tried 9 and 11 tooth on the Technium and there is no doubt that with the higher cadence it starts to feel like a normal bike on the hills but at the cost of the extra power at lower cadence. For me it works out about the same effort, if I was less fit I would stick to the 9 tooth.
The other issue you will find as a keen cyclist is the very low gear ratios as standard. I read somewhere this described as legs going round like a food mixer, all of course to do with the law and maximum speed. As Flecc and others have pointed out you can change the rear sprokets to compensate, but with a derailleur only to a small extent as the front cog is fixed.
I pulled a muscle in my calf and would have had problems on a normal bike but certainly manage the 34 mile round trip commute on the Panasonic by just easing back on the cadence a little when in pain.
I could not do the commute on my normal hybrid cycle but manage it comfortably on the Panasonic.
Have you checked out 50 cycles to see if they have anyone in your area to demonstrate?
Gepida seem to have distributors around the country too maybe there’s one in your area.
Good Luck with your decision.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
well that large framed cytronex still has no offers on ebay...24 hours to go!:D

I would think a bid of £719 (never round numbers) Less then 1 minute before end should clinch it;)

Last edited: