Definitely not for commuting

Mantis55

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 5, 2018
Midlothian
Recently retired :cool:, asthmatic, my road/touring bike has hardly been out of the garage for the past 5 years as I just didn’t seem to be getting any benefit from the exercise. I used to do a fair bit of touring with panniers etc and just enjoyed going out for a run on the summer nights after work.

Recently bought a Crossfire-e from Halfords in the January sale, only risked £960 on it in case it wasn’t for me. Loved the bike but encountered technical problems and other limitations so I got a refund and am willing to spend up to about £2.3k on something better quality with crank motor. I appreciate that bikes will drop in value and the advice is often to get a cheaper bike and replace it after a couple of years, but the cost is not a huge issue for me.

I’m looking for something with the ‘road bike’ appearance of the Crossfire, with 700c wheels or similar and disc brakes.
I don’t like the noise and friction of mountain bike tyres and don’t do much off-road stuff.

So far, been looking at Cube Cross, Ridgeback Cyclone and Kalkhoff Voyager/Endeavour.

Swaying towards the Ridgeback because of the lower weight (never did learn the weight of the Crossfire but it felt bloody heavy lifting it). I imagine 3-4kg on an e-bike is significant, not so much for cycling but for transporting it by car.

Also like the look of the Crossfuse but it seems very heavy and there are very few reviews to see whether it suffers from cut outs like the Crossfire.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

17.5kg you wont like the price tho ;)

• :D
Reactions: Mantis55

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
  • Agree

Paul Price

Jan 31, 2018
Birmingham
You sure you want a crank motor my understanding is that they're very difficult to replace

Recently retired :cool:, asthmatic, my road/touring bike has hardly been out of the garage for the past 5 years as I just didn’t seem to be getting any benefit from the exercise. I used to do a fair bit of touring with panniers etc and just enjoyed going out for a run on the summer nights after work.

Recently bought a Crossfire-e from Halfords in the January sale, only risked £960 on it in case it wasn’t for me. Loved the bike but encountered technical problems and other limitations so I got a refund and am willing to spend up to about £2.3k on something better quality with crank motor. I appreciate that bikes will drop in value and the advice is often to get a cheaper bike and replace it after a couple of years, but the cost is not a huge issue for me.

I’m looking for something with the ‘road bike’ appearance of the Crossfire, with 700c wheels or similar and disc brakes.
I don’t like the noise and friction of mountain bike tyres and don’t do much off-road stuff.

So far, been looking at Cube Cross, Ridgeback Cyclone and Kalkhoff Voyager/Endeavour.

Swaying towards the Ridgeback because of the lower weight (never did learn the weight of the Crossfire but it felt bloody heavy lifting it). I imagine 3-4kg on an e-bike is significant, not so much for cycling but for transporting it by car.

Also like the look of the Crossfuse but it seems very heavy and there are very few reviews to see whether it suffers from cut outs like the Crossfire.

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
You sure you want a crank motor my understanding is that they're very difficult to replace
Not difficult, just expensive. But that's if you are lucky enough to have one break. They are pretty sturdy motors!

All motors have their pro's and cons but you shouldn't need worry about replacing them. The few that do break are normally under warranty.

• Agree

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne

Mantis55

Jan 5, 2018
Midlothian
Went to a local shop in Edinburgh today and tried out a few bikes, Giant, Ridgeback and Orbea. However the best by a mile was the Scott e-Silence 20 which he was prepared to let me have for £2599 which I think is a terrific price even if it’s a bit of a stretch. I checked around and it seems a good price, except that Rutland seem to be selling the same bike for 2199?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Look at the Raleigh motus. I've done 2000km in 15 months , one puncture, no faults.
All those ebikes are heavy beasts, but you can appreciate the stability going downhill at 50 km hr..
If transporting by car get a towehitch mounted carrier. Your back will thank you.... And remove the battery and the display before transport. ..

• Agree

Egret

Just Joined
Mar 28, 2015
Felt sorry for the Edinburgh shop but they couldn’t come down any further, so I ordered the Scott from Rutland. £2199. Arrived today, delighted.
... and, sadly, that's why the Edinburgh shop won't be around when you need servicing.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
I wonder if we will end up with the major bike manufacturers having regional showrooms and selling direct, much like Apple do in the computer/phone world.

grazie

Pedelecer
May 21, 2016
nr Canterbury, UK
Went to a local shop in Edinburgh today and tried out a few bikes, Giant, Ridgeback and Orbea. However the best by a mile was the Scott e-Silence 20 which he was prepared to let me have for £2599 which I think is a terrific price even if it’s a bit of a stretch. I checked around and it seems a good price, except that Rutland seem to be selling the same bike for 2199?
Why do you rate the Scott so highly? I'm straight away put off by the forks. Not tried any of the above, but the Orbea Gain (not sure if that's what you tried) looks and sounds terrific on paper.

Mantis55

Jan 5, 2018
Midlothian
You have to understand that my touring bike was built by myself about 1981 and I’ve been coping with 1981 components such as centre-pull brakes and campagnolo levers on the down tube with only friction and my ears to guide me ;)
As a result I don’t know one pair of forks from the next. But of the 4 bikes I tried, the Scott seemed to have more pep in the Brose motor which was very smooth. It was also way more expensive than I had budgeted for but once I had tried it, it was just a better ride than the other 3 and had a quality feel to the components. The Ridgeback was a disappointment as I thought I’d probably buy one. The Giant was a bit like the Ridgeback but I’ve forgotten the model now. The Orbea was a non starter as it had balloon tyres and the dealer just let me try it for the contrast. I have to say my original Crossfire bike from Halfords was great to ride as well, even though it was very cheap.

However there’s another chapter to add. The Scott turned out to be faulty - it wouldn’t charge. Unbelievably I was sent another Scott which turned out exactly the same (definitely a new bike and not the same one returned).
So tomorrow I’m taking delivery of a Kalkhoff I10 at no extra cost. I have to say Rutland have been excellent but I probably deserve a kicking on here for not buying local.

Reactions: grazie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So tomorrow I’m taking delivery of a Kalkhoff I10 at no extra cost. I have to say Rutland have been excellent but I probably deserve a kicking on here for not buying local.
Nice, but are you aware that this is a 350 watt speed pedelec with a rear number plate mount for when you register it as an L1e-B moped?

It also needs to have motor insurance and a moped driving licence is necessary.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Mantis55

Jan 5, 2018
Midlothian
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's what Rutland recommended to replace the Scott, so I guess it better be.
I'm on first name terms with the DX delivery man as it is.
The one you showed with no rear number plate mount will be ok for the UK, just like the Scott.