my bike is not fast enough :confused:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i need more power win or die trying ;)

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
There are now stretches of road in my area that when your out cycling, for basic safety reasons you have to cycle in the middle of the lane and block the vehicle traffic behind.

Cycling a metre or so out from the parked cars would no doubt improve the flow of vehicle traffic, but if you did that there is no safety margin for a cyclist changing direction to avoid the moon craters that are the norm on the 'modern' roads our 'advanced' society provides.

And yes, my eyesight is 20+.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
When the potholes become an even bigger problem, I might even (aarrgghh!) become a pavement cyclist, but I hate it.

people walking out of terraced houses right out in front
Here's what I mean, only it's a bus on the pavement almost flattening someone walking out of a terraced house.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I'm going again this year. The first time I went, 12 people got wiped out, and I saw two of them right before my eyes. Anybody else going?
One can learn there how speed affects risk of an accident and scale of injuries.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
One can learn there how speed affects risk of an accident and scale of injuries.
One can also learn to not climb rusty Victorian clock towers or sit in the wrong place, and a lot about the importance of having decent brakes and a well-maintained bike.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cycling a metre or so out from the parked cars would no doubt improve the flow of vehicle traffic, but if you did that there is no safety margin for a cyclist changing direction to avoid the moon craters that are the norm on the 'modern' roads our 'advanced' society provides.
What's the width of the tyres on your eBrompton? I gritted my teeth and stood on the pedals to clatter over this with 1.75" on my 20" wheels at a little over 24kph. Other deeper and wider craters, I had to swerve sharply to the right to avoid. Substantially worse will require 2.15" I reckon. For worse than substantially worse, I'll become a pavement cyclist.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
What's the width of the tyres on your eBrompton?
31mm or 1.25"

Those are Continental Contact Urban, light but very good puncture resistance.

They ride well enough and are fine on cycle paths.

Many years back similar tyres would have been just fine on the roads, but that was a time when the UK economy was in dire straits, but roads were somehow still well maintained.

But time moves on, we now have higher living standards and allegadly an improved economy, but zilch money or less to spend on essential road repairs.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
31mm or 1.25"
Tyres on my 20" wheeler were originally 1.5". Weirdly, replacing with 1.75" made a massive difference in ride comfort.

I've never heard of Greenspeed Scorchers but:

There may be wider tyres which will stay on whatever rims your Brompton has.

But time moves on, we now have higher living standards and allegadly an improved economy, but zilch money or less to spend on essential road repairs.
Whatever they're spending, they haven't taken into account the increase in road vehicle weight. Also, people are fatter than they used to be. I know people with SUVs who bought them because of all the potholes, which make more potholes.

Last edited:
Reactions: StuartsProjects

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
EVs are heavier, SUVs have become commonplace and don't forget everyone is ordering online increasing van traffic.

Only a few days left now to participate in the consultation on 500W motors and throttles.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can pump out 350w from my legs :p

Reactions: Woosh

mark sutton

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2016
Mark, is there anybody at CyclingElectric, who would sit down, read your articles and correct all errors?
You're welcome to point some out, but if it's shooting the messenger on the subject then you'll have to excuse my ducking out.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You're welcome to point some out,
To list all your errors would be a full time job. In a spirit of constructive criticism lets start with your first sentence:

"The Department for Transport’s consultation on whether or not e-bike motors should be permitted in the UK to put out 500W of power remains shrouded in mystery as to its origins, with a meeting of interests last night delivering more questions than answers."

There is no such consultation. There is no legal limit on e-bike motor power in UK. Why do you write so passionately about things you don't understand? By doing so you only spread confusion and ignorance. I apologize for being so blatantly honest with you, but what you are doing is really unhelpful.

You probably were writing about this consultation, yes?

www.gov.uk/government/consultations/smarter-regulation-proposed-changes-to-legislation-for-electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles/smarter-regulation-proposed-changes-to-legislation-for-electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
You're welcome to point some out, but if it's shooting the messenger on the subject then you'll have to excuse my ducking out.
I would liked to have seen more balance in the article. The impression given is that everyone is against "500W" and throttles. There are plenty of people out there who would welcome the changes, but they have been ignored. For example, you could have spoken to @Wisper Bikes about how they go to the trouble of going through a 250W LPM registration process for certain customers that need fully acting throttles. This is annoying to do, but allows users to have throttles within the law (beyond 4 mph). There is obviously a demand for this, so why not just change the law to make throttles available to all without jumping through unnecessary hoops?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
An FYI - I sat in on a recent discussion held by the APPGCW with a variety of views represented - manufacturing through disability charity, logistics firm and trade body. The recap of the event here with all views represented: https://www.cyclingelectric.com/in-depth/500w-e-bike-consultation-update
Unfortunately your article failed in the second paragraph when you mentioned a 250w power limit. There is no such limit and there never has been, which is why many if not most legal ebikes make at least 400w at the back wheel, and some make well over 1000w. Did you not wonder how the certified legal Heinzmann cargo bike system can drag 500kg up a 15% hill at a safe speed. Do the maths if you're in any doubt.

Basically, the rules for power are meaningless and untestable. You should have asked the Brompton guy how much power his motors actually make when pedalling up a hill. I bet he wouldn't have been able to answer.

Last edited: