DFT consultation on increase of 250W limit to 500W

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I don't think there is a person left in UK who would expect fast arrival of ambulance.
Ambulance ?

I have vague memories of them.

Maybe they could be replaced by a Deliveroo collect and deliver service, their typical 'employees' would mostly already have bikes capable of towing a trailer.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is an uphill battle. In car you are nice in cozy while riding on bike you are exposed to elements.
Agreed, the only thing that works is enforcement. Like we've done in London with the Congestion Charge and ULEZ charge. But it still only got 300,000 of our ten millions onto commuting saddles, most took to the cheap public transport instead, doubling the number of buses to 9,000.

I don't think there is a person left in UK who would expect fast arrival of ambulance.
;)
No, but the fire service is essential. At this moment we have a huge blaze in South Kensington with 100 fire fighters in attendance. It's not known yet what has caused it, but heaven help us if it's another "ebike" lithium battery:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
1. 250w is capable of alp climbing crossing ,Eddie PJ of this parish has done many an alp climb so crossing shouldn't be an issue, that said it would be a fit able rider and not just your casual /weekender.
2. In the UK shared paths are now common as are the ex railway routes and bridelways , riders need to use common sense in these situations but alas with a lot of riders it is lacking as they are often in persuit of speed and don't even think about others safety.
3. Bike registration or at least a highly visible rear plate of some sort may be the only way to stop law breaking cycles that run red lights etc ,ect. Then with evidence (such as dash cam) they can be prosecuted.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
1. 250w is capable of alp climbing crossing ,Eddie PJ of this parish has done many an alp climb so crossing shouldn't be an issue, that said it would be a fit able rider and not just your casual /weekender.
2. In the UK shared paths are now common as are the ex railway routes and bridelways , riders need to use common sense in these situations but alas with a lot of riders it is lacking as they are often in persuit of speed and don't even think about others safety.
3. Bike registration or at least a highly visible rear plate of some sort may be the only way to stop law breaking cycles that run red lights etc ,ect. Then with evidence (such as dash cam) they can be prosecuted.
250w ebikes are generally not able to climb alps without help from the rider. Some riders can cross them with non-electric bikes. Most riders would be able to do that if they have enough time and low enough gearing.

As i said before, they did trials on twis-and-go scooters, and found that some motors burnt out on steep hills. This regulation is to legalise scooters for everyone. For that, they need 500w to get up hills.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
250w ebikes are generally not able to climb alps without help from the rider. Some riders can cross them with non-electric bikes. Most riders would be able to do that if they have enough time and low enough gearing.

As i said before, they did trials on twis-and-go scooters, and found that some motors burnt out on steep hills. This regulation is to legalise scooters for everyone. For that, they need 500w to get up hills.
I'm still not getting this, can't the manufacturer of the scooter just get the manufacturer of the motor that they want to rate it 250w max continuous power and then put as much power as they need through the controller ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It is not that simple. Bikes are not allowed on pavements, but... are allowed if a cyclist is afraid to cycle on road. And which one of us is not?
Me.

I must say I quite don't like a thought of my child being mowed down by rapid fatso on rapid fat bike who can only move his thumb.
That can happen on the road.

• :D
Reactions: esuark

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well... you should be. I have seen how you ride and had chills on my back. I totally understand why you need all those lights to be visible.
Action cameras like my GoPro have wide angled lenses, which makes things look more dramatic than they are. My speed is limited to 25km/h, you will never see my speedo saying otherwise, unless I'm barrelling downhill. Gravity use after the 25km/h cutoff is free and legal. I also use gravity before the 25km/h cutoff, but I've never wanted to.

Bright lights dissolve a cyclist's invisibility cloak. We should all use bright lights day and night. Drivers never fail to see me anymore. :cool:

(turn up volume)

Last edited:

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
500W rated motor and full throttle is what it is - a moped. Why make an effort to disguise it as a bike? I think a new moped class would be a much better solution with a quick and simple registration.
Really? Raleigh moped at the beginning of the 1960s had power outputs of 1.3bhp to 1.7bhp. That translates to 969 watts and 1267 watts, not 500. These were VERY conservatively powered machines and modern 'moped' class bikes are limited too 2.5bhp or 1864 watts.

I was amazed at some of the hyperbolic 'danger' talk in the press about increasing average power to a max of 500 watts. There was talk about these bikes being 'dangerously heavy' and powerful. An idiot on any kind of bike, or even on roller blades is a danger if he is travelling fast and on a pavement. It is not the 500 watts or 250 watts that creates risk. It is the idiotic among the population who do that. Th bracket also includes some runners and some in human powered cycling.

I live up in the South Tyne Valley near Brampton and Haltwhistle and the hills around here are killingly long and steep. I can ride them with my 250 watt, Bafang crank motor, but it is a matter of bottom gear, a lot of hard work and 3 to 5 miles an hour. By the top - sometimes three quarters of a mile with 1:15 and 1:20 slopes in part, I am breathing like a steam engine.

EDIT: Wikipedia says that electric mopeds are allowed up to 4KW motor power or 5.4BHP.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Bright lights dissolve a cyclist's invisibility cloak. We should all use bright lights day and night. Drivers never fail to see me anymore. :cool:

(turn up volume)
Some VERy bright cycle lights need to be banned. They are beyond blinding to anyone else walking, riding or driving on the roads. The worst offenders have them set ridiculously high so they completely dazzle others. I remember one episode when I could see the image of the hideous glare for five minutes after with my eyes shut.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and sjpt

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Some VERy bright cycle lights need to be banned. They are beyond blinding to anyone else walking, riding or driving on the roads. The worst offenders have them set ridiculously high so they completely dazzle others. I remember one episode when I could see the image of the hideous glare for five minutes after with my eyes shut.
I'm blinded all the time by car headlights! The worst offenders are SUVs, with their lights situated higher up, so that even when dipped they're burning out what's left of my retinas (Central Serous Retinopathy). Even drivers complain about how bright car headlights are these days, at least one driver I know has given up driving because of them. As you can see, my lights are considerately angled down at the road. I've tested for blinding on my driver friend's eyeballs, and they have remained unblinded friends. Cylists are safer with very bright lights, used day and night.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have not blinded anyone and my light is 8000lm imo most ppl just dont look where there going in the first place.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i have not blinded anyone and my light is 8000lm imo most ppl just dont look where there going in the first place.
How bright would lights have to be to melt eyelids? Your lights aren't bright enough, or you should use beam formed lights.

With very bright lights, cyclists have a hope of distracting drivers from texting, watching Netflix and using social media while pretending to drive.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a 30w ir laser will blast through concreate if u got 1000s of amps :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I live up in the South Tyne Valley near Brampton and Haltwhistle and the hills around here are killingly long and steep. I can ride them with my 250 watt, Bafang crank motor, but it is a matter of bottom gear, a lot of hard work and 3 to 5 miles an hour. By the top - sometimes three quarters of a mile with 1:15 and 1:20 slopes in part, I am breathing like a steam engine.
Increase the Bafang controller's amp limit and set "Keep current" to 100%? No hill has done that to me and my BBS01B.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do you live in Gloucester? ;)