Disabled cyclist; with one bad choice behind her, needs help with a new bike

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I know what I don't want (I already have that)

I need a low step through, with shedloads of power to take me not very fast, everywhere, even up hills

I needs to be light, with big wheels, suspension, very sit up and beg

In fact a complete cross between the 2 bikes I have

The crusa is too heavy and all the weight is at the back so it's unstable when I walk with it or load it on the train

The fazua is too big for me I can't get my leg over the bar and my legs aren't strong enough to register on the torque/motor

Attachments

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If I ever manage to score a Dahon Presto SL (the SL has a derailleur), I'll throw on a BBS01B kit. Here's a fully loaded Presto Light at 11kg. Wheelbase is 3in shorter than my Helios, but longer than their newer bikes. If throttles become legal after the government consultation, it'll be a 11kg + 5.6kg BBS01B + 3.6kg 19.2Ah/691Wh battery = 20.2kg epic fast hill climbing folding commuter moped with 43+ mile range. Heavier with a derailleur by a bit, laughing in the face of the hideous green congealed snot coloured Rambletta frog bike with it's small low range battery and comparatively puny motor system.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a converted gravel bike thta comes in at 13.5kg , the kit in all is only 2.5kg approx. but it is wholly unsuitable for a dissabled/impaired rider.
A step thru bike simply doesn't exsist that is as light because of extra stiffening elsewhere to ensure the bike is safe and this adds to the weight. For the masses expensive and cheap don't go together and if any are found or made will be for a niche market.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This 17.5 kg Fiido looks intriguing, low step over, but tiny wheels. 7.8Ah/280.8Wh battery, so it's also low range:

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This 17.5 kg Fiido looks intriguing, low step over, but tiny wheels. Low range too:

Exactly all the merits that Katy doesn't want , why she doesn't want small wheels to try and make life a bit easier we don't know but the main issue apart from the bike wheel size and type is range anxiety so the need for a heavier battery.
It matters not if a battery is 36v 10s 5p and of 11, 13, 15 or 17.5 ah , the battery weight will be exactly the same bar the odd gram. The only weight saved is a 200- 300 grams if 10s 4pis used.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Exactly all the merits that Katy doesn't want , why she doesn't want small wheels to try and make life a bit easier we don't know but the main issue apart from the bike wheel size and type is range anxiety so the need for a heavier battery.
It matters not if a battery is 36v 10s 5p and of 11, 13, 15 or 17.5 ah , the battery weight will be exactly the same bar the odd gram. The only weight saved is a 200- 300 grams if 10s 4pis used.
Oh well, maybe someone else will come up with something which ticks all of the boxes on her requirements list.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This 17.5 kg Fiido looks intriguing, low step over, but tiny wheels. 7.8Ah/280.8Wh battery, so it's also low range:

It is a bit lighter , though with a tiddly 7.8ah/280wh battery a couple of kg have been saved, but the claimed range for said battery is nowhere good enough for an impaired rider who will be using it most likely at full power. It would likely get Katy as far as 15 miles before recharging is needed.

Although I have asthma , It doesn't affect me riding so I can get away with using very low power (PAS1) 13% power of 22a on flat terrain, I can manage 30 miles from a 6ah/260wh battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sadly far from helping Katy in the most part sensible options aren't being suggested and replies certainly aren't taking in to account that the assistance she needs is pretty much max power to over come the lack of stamina/muscle input .
Weight wise there are few choices for big wheeled step thru bikes and most will be at least 22kg.
For 40 miles on mostly full power we will be looking at 15ah /540wh or 17.5ah/630ah batteries.

• Agree
Reactions: Katymac

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sadly far from helping Katy in the most part sensible options aren't being suggested and replies certainly aren't taking in to account that the assistance she needs is pretty much max power to over come the lack of stamina/muscle input .
Weight wise there are few choices for big wheeled step thru bikes and most will be at least 22kg.
For 40 miles on mostly full power we will be looking at 15ah /540wh or 17.5ah/630ah batteries.
She did say a bike for short trips could be ok.

I sometimes do 3 or 4 short 3-4 miles in a day

The longer is when I go away as where I camp I don't always have hook up, so I'd range is the problem - guess I don't travel so far when I go away - to enable me to have a life going forward doing my little short trips

(& I lied I'm 75kgs)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The able bodied rarely understand disabilities.
And from very long experience of similar inquiries in here, we know that the disabled rarely understand the limitations of physics, current technology and the regulations of bureacracy free electric assist bikes. They mean that they are only suitable for those who can still cycle normally but just need a little help at times. Hence the assist word.

Bureacracy free electric assist bikes are not disability vehicles, in too many ways falling well short of the needs that can arise to fulfill that purpose. That is why Katy is having such difficulty in finding a suitable one. Put simply, the impossible doesn't exist.

Everything we suggest will have some of her necessities unmet.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
why she doesn't want small wheels to try and make life a bit easier we don't know
it is possibly because of the comfort of bikes with big wheels.
Suspension on a 20" bike will never be good enough for someone with back problems, worse on 16".

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: flecc and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The needs are as have been pointed out already.
  • Large wheel format = tick, options available.
  • Sit up and beg/dutch style swept back bars = tick , options available .
  • Step thru design = tick , options available.
  • Power = tick , options available but must be hub type with throttle as rider has muscle /stamina issues. No use suggesting torque multiplier systems .
  • Range needed up to 40 miles for return journeys have been implied, shorter journeys are under taken but pointless in suggesting a low capacity/range battery.
  • Lightweight , manouverability = no tick as most bikes even small wheeled are heavy and don't meet users needs.
From the list above all but one meet the needs of Katy bar the very last option which tbh just isn't available under 22kg.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Large wheel format
Range needed up to 40 miles for return journeys have been implied, shorter journeys are under taken but pointless in suggesting a low capacity/range battery.
In that case, it's pointless suggesting the hideous green congealed snot coloured Rambletta frog bike with it's small low range battery. Suggested three times by three members, including @saneagle, who looks bigger and stronger than baldy Jason from The Gadget Show.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I am slowly writing why I think each part of the bike I think I want:

Do you want the part of my disability that prevents/affects something or the fact that it does?

Prefer upright position as I have scar tissue around my lower 5 vertebrae as a result of bilateral hip displasia

or prefer upright position as it puts less strain on my lower back

I am drawn to the idea of using the crusa and upcycling/using a new frame/changing the battery housing - I'm an Eco-Designer after all and buying new hurt!

I am working my way through everyone's comments but it's been a busy day at work today, first event of the year on Sunday
The up cycling of the Crusa hub motor is an option if a suitable stepthru candidate can be found , how ever the base bike has to satrt off light a sone would be adding the hub which is circa. 4kg and a battery downtube if one will fit another 3 - 4 kg and one soon sees why it is almost imossibe to get under 20kg . Add racks,mudguards etc,etc and the weight goes up and up.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Ok, I spoke to my brother who hadn't really understood my physical limitations or maybe I hadn't explained them carefully enough

We are selling the Fazua after he let's me know what kit is on it (any suggestions of places to list it gratefully received - not sure facebook marketplace is the best idea)

I test rode on Orbea today and was pleasantly surprised I can deal with the centre of gravity but I dont think it has enough umph for hills

It also felt very low in the road and somewhat vulnerable, the crusa is very definitely higher and more visible - prob only a few inches but my head feels above the car drivers

This shop suggested a volt, Burlington, I think which I had no energy to ride today but I'll go back and try it, I wheeled it around and although lifting would be impossible, I could see me getting it parked on on a train and the weight is between my hands not 2 ft behind me

Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
which green bike are you talking about?
Guerney has you on "Ignore", so he won't see your question or any of your posts past or present. He says he has me on ignore too.

Why he thinks it's ok to comment adversely on someone or their products when they cannot reply to him I don't know. To me it is very ill mannered.

I'm reporting my own post to Admin since they may have a view of the propriety of such behaviour.

• Disagree
Reactions: sanity and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
thank you. I thought he got the bikes mixed up.

Reactions: Katymac

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I dunno sorry

My green bike is very pretty, it has green pedals and everything!

Of course I'd need to get a new helmet to match and may e new pannier bags! But it's not to be!! :(
That's quite a pleasant green - good camouflage for leaving it somewhere grassy, while you have picnic nearby. Passing bike thieves would be none the wiser.