Disabled cyclist; with one bad choice behind her, needs help with a new bike

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The lady rider in question has already mentioned her health issues and lack of leg stamina , we have already duduced that the torque multipliers are no good for her and the fact she currently has a similar app controlled bike confirms that.
I agree that cadence sensor is probably most appropriate. However, her experience with the torque multiplier bike does not completely rule out torque multiplier. That bike is light but is a particularly low powered one, and it might be the low power that is the real issue.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A Wisper Tailwind might work it is a bit lighter , though one needs to test ride for fit and operational use so a visit to a dealer or 7oaks in Kent is needed .
It will be fruitless without trying any such bike .
A Wisper can be 100% legal with a fully operational throttle if tested as such.
It isn't a true step thru but does have a slightly lower raking top bar, the battery is mounted forward in the beefier downtube. Weigth wise 21/22kg is stated , if this is true then it is about as light as an OEM full size bike can be.

If one needs to lift it in to a boot of a vehicle then size will be important and tbh one is back to looking at folding options and removing the battery to make lifting lighter, removing a battery can make a bike 3 - 3.5kg lighter as significant difference.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
I use these on a 20" wheel bike and they're comfortable. Small wheels are lighter, the bike's upright and fits nicely on the train.

Schwalbe Big Apple HS430 Tyre 55-406 20 Inch

SR Suntour SP12 NCX Suspension Seat Post

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
For people who can't pedal very hard and smaller riders, bikes with small wheels are generally more suitable because they're easier to handle and give more torque.

My sister got a Woosh Rambletta last year. She's 74 years old, hasn't done an iota of exercise in more than 20 years and a bit over-weight. She finds the Rambletta perfect for shopping trips and other local journeys when she doesn't want to use the car. As long as you can rotate the pedals, you can use the throttle, or just set in on level 5 to ride it like a moped while you pedal air. When in moped mode, I estimate that the range would be about 15 to 20 miles with me (100kg) riding it with a few steep hills.

I need a low step through. Tick.
with shedloads of power . Tick
to take me not very fast Tick
everywhere, even up hills. Tick
I needs to be light. Half tick. Lighter than many, but still awkward to fold and carry.
with big wheels. No tick. That shouldn't be an issue. It rides very stabley.
suspension. No tick, but its big tyres absorb the bumps quite well.
very sit up and beg. tick.

In fact a complete cross between the 2 bikes I have . Hmmm!

Some of your requirements work against each other. For light weight, you need a small battery, thin wheels and tyres and no suspension. If you want comfort, it's not going to be light. High power and small (light) batteries don't go together

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Suspension seatpost and/or stem might help.
The problem is it adds weight. I don't think it's necessary anyway. when I rode the Rambletta it absorbed all the bumps OK, and I'm used to full suspension on my own bike. If anything, it felt a bit squidgy.

Reactions: Katymac

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The monoshock fork adds about half a kg of weight. I agree that it doesn't add much as you sit up, there is little weight placed on the front tyre.

Reactions: Katymac

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I am slowly writing why I think each part of the bike I think I want:

Do you want the part of my disability that prevents/affects something or the fact that it does?

Prefer upright position as I have scar tissue around my lower 5 vertebrae as a result of bilateral hip displasia

or prefer upright position as it puts less strain on my lower back

I am drawn to the idea of using the crusa and upcycling/using a new frame/changing the battery housing - I'm an Eco-Designer after all and buying new hurt!

I am working my way through everyone's comments but it's been a busy day at work today, first event of the year on Sunday

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
My brother built it for me and shipped it here from sweden

We may have had a miscommunication about how capable I am, or he might not have listened- not sure which

So I'll be getting a list of its components and then trying to sell the thing (which is in fairness a very pretty thing and if we could scrunch the 2 bikes into one would be perfect)7

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Yes, it was heavy for me 7 years ago when I got it; but 2 further surgeries and 2 new diagnoses mean it's unsustainable and I'm not likely to improve - I hope going physically downhill is a few years off yet

But I have had to make adaptations in my life & work

It needs a new battery and the pannier rack needs welding or replacing as do quite a few nuts and bolts that have rusty bits on them, but getting it up a step, parking next to a post or changing its angle in a small space requires picking up the back and hefting it & I can't. Not "I can't without pain" but quite simply there isn't enough umph in my joints, so I have to put my whole body weight behind it and my joints don't like that at all

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I am slowly writing why I think each part of the bike I think I want:

Do you want the part of my disability that prevents/affects something or the fact that it does?

Prefer upright position as I have scar tissue around my lower 5 vertebrae as a result of bilateral hip displasia

or prefer upright position as it puts less strain on my lower back

I am drawn to the idea of using the crusa and upcycling/using a new frame/changing the battery housing - I'm an Eco-Designer after all and buying new hurt!

I am working my way through everyone's comments but it's been a busy day at work today, first event of the year on Sunday
What does the Fazuaarrgghhh! weigh, and is that weight manageable?

Here are a couple of "New old stock" Taiwanese unbranded aluminium mini velo frames on ebay. The first one has 135mm rear dropouts, which might be the right size for the Crusa's rear hub motor - you'd have to upload a photo of the Crusa's motor, for our hub motor experts to identify it. Detailed photos are on the listing galleries. I don't know which forks would be compatible.

You might be able to get a BBS01B installed on this, but BB size isn't mentioned. 130mm rear dropouts, therefore unlikely to be compatible with the Crusa's motor IMHO. Rear hub motors usually require 135mm spacing:

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What does the Fazuaarrgghhh! weigh, and is that weight manageable?

Here are a couple of "New old stock" Taiwanese unbranded aluminium mini velo frames on ebay. The first one has 135mm rear dropouts, which might be the right size for the Crusa's rear hub motor - you'd have to upload a photo of the Crusa's motor, for our hub motor experts to identify it. Detailed photos are on the listing galleries. I don't know which forks would be compatible.

You might be able to get a BBS01B installed on this, but BB size isn't mentioned. 130mm rear dropouts, therefore unlikely to be compatible with the Crusa's motor IMHO. Rear hub motors usually require 135mm spacing:

Not quite low stepthrough!

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
its 17kgs and yes I can maneuver it; actually easily for the short amount of bursts I need it too (not a flight of stairs)

& there is a pretty embarrassing video of me picking up my knee to get my foot over the Fazua bar!