Disabled cyclist; with one bad choice behind her, needs help with a new bike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not a practical suggestion because of the cost, but to show a solution for the OP isn't impossible: If money was no object, this custom built Titanium framed bike weighs "about 39lbs" = 17.68kg even with a Bosch mid-drive system and what looks like a 500Wh battery. A Bafang mid-drive motor system would weigh about the same, and a hub drive custom Titanium step through can be made even lighter. But no suspension (Redshift Shockstop and suspension seatpost?) or mudguards.

I'm sure a lower custom titanium step through could be specified than this, no doubt adding a little more weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katymac

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
This is just normal iterative requirements consolidation. Based on the client's initial brief they receive advice about practicalities and implementation proposals showing how far their brief can be met. The client revises their needs until both parties converge on an achievable solution.

Of course there's discussion but if some members slag off the efforts of others it only underlines why the UK's known to be good at innovation and poor at exploiting it.
Totally, and I'm trained as a systems analyst so I know the feedback loop works within design

I'm doing currently with an awning for my caravan as well as this bike (& oddly enough an adjustable dress)

& I'll keep poking until I can work out what fits

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Other than that, a moped has infinite range, all the power you need and doesn't need to be taken on a bus, car or train, and it would probably be cheaper all round.
I'd rather not ride a moped from Ipswich to Liverpool and I don't think they'd let me on the train with it ;):p

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I think it was a bike her brother thought he would like and likely expected his sister to also like. Sounds like also he either didn't listen to her properly or ask what she actually wanted/needed from the bike.
After all being her brother one would have thought he would know a little about her health and movement issues, then builds her a bike she can't use.

No swept back bars, no step thru. Opposite to two of the main features asked on here.
I think he felt I was exaggerating, when in fact I was minimising

We only see each other every few years, and the last time was at my mums funeral ( in 2021), he thought the physical state I was in was an emotional reaction

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Does it help if the leg is lifted in line with the torso? As in apply brakes, lean bike, bend elbows & bring chin towards handlebars while raising right leg behind you, ice-skating style?
I have unstable hips and bilateral hip dilysplasia so I tend not to put myself in positions where my leg weight is wholly supported by my hip; another place I have issues is walking downstairs carrying a weight

It doesn't cause a dislocation, but I have to be very careful how I put my foot down after so it doesn't trap a nerve

• Informative
Reactions: AntonyC

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you are in Ipswich , Woosh inSouthend are only a little bit down the A12.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Thanks

I finally got through the spec from my brother

Fazua ride 50
Shimano Alpine 8 (32 hole) rear hub and gear shifter
DT Swiss Onyx (32h) front hub
Stan's Crest MK3(?) rims
Sapim Race spokes
Sram PC1 chain
SKS Mudguards
Shimano XT disc-brakes

Does that sound like all I need to put on the ad?

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Oh crap how do I explain why I can't ride it

Done minimal miles as the torque doesn't register my input - user error!! I'm pretty disabled so can't pedal enough!

Is there a better way of writing that?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just say that you can't use it for reason of illness. Buyers aren't too worried about the exact details.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Katymac

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Please don't forget information about electric system. As much as possible. This is what people are mainly looking for while buying e-bikes.

Motor manufacturer, rated power, torque. Battery, capacity, cells used, bms, continuous discharge current, max discharge current etc.

The more information the better.

You will get much more interest if you won't limit auction to collection in person only.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Just include the link. All technical details are there. Emphasise the low mileage, and state the warranty position. That is very important for a buyer, regardless of mileage. Adds a lot to the value.

Reactions: Woosh

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
You could also take a look at ebays sold listings, for an approximate as to what to expect/price.
Look at similar bikes and that should give you an average.
Also at certain time of the month, people will have more money, and kind of cross reference to make sure you dont list or try to sell it at a point when fewer people are financially flush

Summer is coming, and more people will look to buy a bike then than in the colder weather.
Cold or wet, people are less interested in pedaling about.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
This is a draft - now I just have to work out a price - thanks for all your help so far

For Sale Nearly New Fazua Bike

Based in Ipswich

Selling due to illness - its done 25 miles
Fazua ride 50 (FAZUA - RIDE 50 TRAIL & STREET )
Shimano Alpine 8 (32 hole) rear hub and gear shifter
DT Swiss Onyx (32h) front hub
Stan's Crest MK4 rims
Sapim Race spokes
Sram PC1 chain
SKS Mudguards
Shimano XT disc-brakes

Last edited: