Discussing the Option and Ideas to safer cycling.

D

Deleted member 4366

I spent a lot of time in quality control always with the objective of reducing defect rates for which I was always very successful.. I found that the best way to do it was to find the exact cause of each defect, and put in place a robust countermeasure to stop it from happening again. That's a very simple process. All those that tried before me were unsuccessful by putting in place general counter-measures.

Sending out hundreds of police to stop cyclists weaving in and out of lines of cars or jumping lights will solve nothing. The sensible thing would be to find a way of stopping dopey cyclists parking their bikes alongside big trucks that intend to turn. No horn in the world will save you if you're alongside a truck that's started to turn. Flecc's right on the button: Even if the truck driver heard it, he wouldn't stop. The only thing that would save you in that situation is an ejector seat - if you're quick enough.

I think one of the six (the 60 yr old guy) was run over from behind. Did he jump out on the truck, or was he stationary? Whatever it was, I guess that one will need a different solution.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That last one was a sixty year old but he wasn't truly behind, his rear wheel would have been roughly alongside the foremost wheel of the front steering pair, putting him in the blind zone on the nearside just under and ahead of the door mirrors and indicator. As the truck turned the front wheel appears to have pushed him over and run over the centre of the bike's frame (judging from its bent main tubes) and the rider.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Latest news on the crackdown on bad road behaviour in London:

Nearly 1400 motorists penalised with fixed penalties, 755 cyclists ditto.

I think the cyclists have got off lightly, plod seems to have been more than fair to us, considering how badly some London cyclists behave.

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
I got some 'advice' from plod at Finsbury pk/Manor hse junc yesterday morning. I used empty lh lane up into the ASL box (which was clear! Wonder why?;-) and over to 2nd lane so vehicles could pass in lhs filter lane. " Got a leaflet about cycling safely in traffic", so I took it & he retreated back to pavement coz lights were about to change. Didn't see anyone get a ticket, but didn't hang around. Whether the good traffic behaviour will continue after the purge up to Xmas remains to be seen.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I got some 'advice' from plod at Finsbury pk/Manor hse junc yesterday morning. I used empty lh lane up into the ASL box (which was clear! Wonder why?;-) and over to 2nd lane so vehicles could pass in lhs filter lane. " Got a leaflet about cycling safely in traffic", so I took it & he retreated back to pavement coz lights were about to change. Didn't see anyone get a ticket, but didn't hang around. Whether the good traffic behaviour will continue after the purge up to Xmas remains to be seen.
Mikey,
I have looked at this on Google Earth...it's terrifying. should have told him the only answer is a dedicated, protected bike lane

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Could you see me waving? :) remember that guy who went on a diet after seeing himself on google streetview! :-o