Discussions started about legalising e-scooters, could this mean insurance insurance for e-bikers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25121
  • Start date

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
trial zones so far
I'm waiting for the regulations - no fair if they can whizz along at whatever speed when ebikes have limits

however - like to see then beat me on a long downhill with a rough road!!!

• :D
Reactions: flecc

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
That's incorrect, ANPR flags cars whose registered OWNER doesn't have an insurance policy covering the vehicle, not the validity of the insurance policy of the driver.
That's incorrect, ANPR flags cars whose registered KEEPER doesn't have an insurance policy covering the vehicle, not the validity of the insurance policy of the driver.

• Agree

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I note Portsmouth and Southampton are named as "trial" zones, I have to wonder if those who made that decision had any idea of how pot holed our roads are?
Hit one of the craters or swerve out avoiding one, even at 16 mph will bring some real risks.

D

Deleted member 25121

That's incorrect, ANPR flags cars whose registered KEEPER doesn't have an insurance policy covering the vehicle, not the validity of the insurance policy of the driver.
Yes but that doesn't really change the points raised.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I see them in use here in a large Sx town, there's no way plod will do anything around here because they are like little green men. No one I see uses the road.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The point is that if they think that you do not have insurance, they stop you and ask you to produce your insurance.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No one I see uses the road.
And that's the problem, as I understand it this trial is only for road use. The law prevents motorised use on pavements, unless a 4 mph mobility vehicle.

I can't see the government ever permitting 15 mph e-scooters on pavements when the two speed 4/8mph mobility vehicles have to be registered for road use and can only be used in the the 4mph low speed mode on pavements.

Personally I'd just have an outright e-scooter ban. They can never be safe on the roads for obvious reasons, nor on the pavements with their speed and lack of noise.

• Agree
Reactions: Ocsid and ebiker99

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Quite apart from my car and bikes - which are properly insured I have two mobility scooters capable of up to 6 mph which are DVLA Registered, have allocated registration numbers but do not need to display plates and for which insurance is not compulsory ( although I do have it).

Jim

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Quite apart from my car and bikes - which are properly insured I have two mobility scooters capable of up to 6 mph which are DVLA Registered, have allocated registration numbers but do not need to display plates and for which insurance is not compulsory ( although I do have it).

Jim
you can dongle those ;) i want 200bhp tho :p

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I wouldn’t ‘Dongle’ anything - that’s your choice.

Jim

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Jim
But musn't be used above 4 mph on pavements as I'm sure you know. This is why I cannot see the government ever allowing e-scooters on pavements.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimo