DIY Mechanical Dongle

D

Deleted member 25121

What a load of bill hooks, my simple post about a man in a shed and his little experiment has been totally corrupted.
Why don’t you guys wait until break time and sort it out in the playground :p :p
Can someone please close this thread or remove all of my posts, I think I’m loosing the will to live :eek:
Most of us have either commented on the ingenuity of your device or given you the thumbs up.
There's only so much that can be said about it and the conversation has naturally drifted onto side issues, that's the nature of conversation I'd afraid, you don't own the topic and can't moderate it in any way.
I've you don't like the way it's going then take a look here, there are loads of topics to pick and you aren't obliged to read them all.

• Dislike
Reactions: Fat Rat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
my simple post about a man in a shed and his little experiment has been totally corrupted.
You think that's bad.

Over three years ago and before the referendum when there were lots of opinions on leaving and no facts being expressed, I posted a link to a factual radio program giving the example of how Switzerland suffered over seven years of negotiations with the EU.

I didn't expect any response since I only gave that information.

Now three years, 2729 web pages, 54,579 posts later, containing a vast number of often irrelevant subjects raised, it's still going strong.

You haven't even begun to suffer yet! :p

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've you don't like the way it's going then take a look here, there are loads of topics to pick and you aren't obliged to read them
I’ve been a member for long enough to find my own way around the forum thanks, i find it very easy to ignore / block threads I’m not interested in, it’s just this topic is old, so very old and it seems to be the same people having the same arguments whenever there’s an opportunity.

Why not start a thread “ the laws an ass because I know best, or the laws the best and I’m an ass” ;)
I’m really not that bothered either way :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why not start a thread “ the laws an ass because I know best, or the laws the best and I’m an ass” ;)
I’m really not that bothered either way :p
to be fair, flecc did make me think about adding some explanation to my website about the difference in legal status of the throttle, if fitted pre purchase or post purchase* and the grey area which is how long you can rest your legs before being accused of flouting the law by using the throttle. At the moment, it's programmed for 30 seconds**.

*it's always supplied unplugged with a sticker explaining the legal position, but maybe it's best to explain before purchase.
**the throttle is also deactivated when you decelerate or you use the brakes. You have to spin the cranks again to use the throttle.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and ebiker99

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
to be fair, flecc did make me think about adding some explanation to my website about the difference in legal status of the throttle, if fitted pre purchase or post purchase* and the grey area which is how long you can rest your legs before being accused of flouting the law by using the throttle. At the moment, it's programmed for 30 seconds**.

*it's always supplied unplugged with a sticker explaining the legal position, but maybe it's best to explain before purchase.
**the throttle is also deactivated when you decelerate or you use the brakes. You have to spin the cranks again to use the throttle.
It’s not me that needs convincing, I know if and when I’m braking the law.
As to what others believe, I’m really not that bothered either way but I may for my own opinion and then change it later to see if anyone bites :D;)

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Out of curiosity do controllers & LCD displays need type approval should you wish to change them ?

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Out of curiosity do controllers & LCD displays need type approval should you wish to change them ?
Not if the resulting pedelec construction and provisions comply with the exemption conditions from needing type approval. That is:

Motor rating is at or below 250 watts.

Assist power only available when pedalling.

Power phases down and then cuts out before 25 kph.

For machines that are not pedelecs so are motor vehicles and have to have type approval, strictly speaking any parts changed must only be replaced with the originally sourced ones. Of course in practice that is widely disregarded.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe we should count ourselves lucky with 15 and bit mph from pedelecs - stumbled across this ol' Honda People ICE pedal bike from 1984 with 24cc, 0.7hp, top whack 9–11mph > http://www.icenicam.org.uk/articles4/art0070.html
Indeed, and not uncommon. Our original UK e-bike law used to have a maximum assist speed of 12 mph.

And Honda once again made the beautiful little folding e-bike below from early in this millennium. It was the Honda Step Compo model and its maximum motor driven speed was about 12 mph:

• Informative
Reactions: danielrlee and Nev
Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Fact of the matter is that if you mod your bike and have a crash involving a third party hospital visit there is a good chance a local force vehicle examiner is called. You'll get the points or prison time if there has been a serious injury. You'll also get sued by the victim as all they have watched on TV (whilst in a cast) is ambulance chasing ads. If you want to rag around scaring dog walkers and grannies get a moped like normal 16yr olds do. At least they are insured and wear proper helmets.

I AM BACK FROM 2008 and ready for an argument so bring it on. Did someone mention fascists too? It's the gift that just keeps giving. I can see the headlines in the mirror "Uninsured Nazi ebikers killing dogs breakin the law!".

Hi Flecc hope you are keeping well.

Reactions: ebiker99 and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I AM BACK FROM 2008 and ready for an argument so bring it on. Did someone mention fascists too? It's the gift that just keeps giving. I can see the headlines in the mirror "Uninsured Nazi ebikers killing dogs breakin the law!".

Hi Andrew, good to see you back and well enough for a scrap!

Yes I'm fine thanks but getting ever older at 83 now!

I see you did sneak in three posts in 2009/2010, so not quite so long an absence. But still far too long.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Fact of the matter is that if you mod your bike and have a crash involving a third party hospital visit there is a good chance a local force vehicle examiner is called. You'll get the points or prison time if there has been a serious injury. You'll also get sued by the victim as all they have watched on TV (whilst in a cast) is ambulance chasing ads. If you want to rag around scaring dog walkers and grannies get a moped like normal 16yr olds do. At least they are insured and wear proper helmets.

That's a bit hysterical. There's perhaps a small chance that there could be some consequences if you were caught using an illegal bike. At least one of our forum members was involved in an accident on an illegal bike. The police looked at his bike, which was by no means stealthily illegal, and they didn't say a thing.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
The police looked at his bike, which was by no means stealthily illegal, and they didn't say a thing.
Sounds like he was lucky or depends what area you live in. A mate of mine is a RTA investigator with the local police force. He warned me not to doctor my bike because if I am involved in an accident they absolutely will check to ensure it has not been altered.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Sounds like he was lucky or depends what area you live in. A mate of mine is a RTA investigator with the local police force. He warned me not to doctor my bike because if I am involved in an accident they absolutely will check to ensure it has not been altered.
Despite all the scare stories, nobody can produce any evidence that anybody has ever been prosecuted for using an illegal bike in the UK.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
seems no matter where you are the police dont give a crap uk new York aus ect.

bruno did get a $50 fine for racing the cars pmsl