Do you leave your battery on the bike when you lock it?

Do you leave you battery on the bike whe you lock it?

• Yes most of the time.

Votes: 135 75.8%
  • No never.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • On rare occasions.

Votes: 19 10.7%

• Total voters

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I have been thinking about this for a while.

I asked my supplier, and the replacement value of a battery is £200..so it is definitely worth a form of security.

I think the current security that I rely on, is that of the mysterious image of pedelecs. I think a lot of people don't really know what that large block of battery is, let alone if it is valuable.
unfortunately one of the unintended consequences of the mainstream media publicity ebikes are getting is that this is unlikely to remain the case for long.

There is already a report of a poster in SW England whose new Wisper was vandalised (in such a fashion that would maybe imply the attackers knew it was an e-bike) - another post from Frank of Powabyke reporting the theft of a brand new demonstration model from outside their business premises.

I keep my bikes inside locked buildings at all times if I cannot watch them at all times. Luckily my friends and my employer are equally cynical and mistrusting of strangers (especially with a deepening recession and lots of desparate people around) and don't have an overoptimistic view of East Anglia (which still remains a fairly good place to live in nevertheless compared to London or SE England).

its worth sharing the solution for the benefit of all, it may also help the good people find potential flaws before the bad people do...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I've seen quite a few e-bikes locked up now, and most of the time the battery is left on the bike.

For me, in London, that seems crazy! Leaving an item worth several hundred pounds unattended attached to a bike. However other people may have different ideas...

So do you leave your battery on the bike when you lock it in the street?
I don't own an e-bike yet, but will do very shortly, and this for me is a big concern I must say. As you say, the idea of leaving the most valuable component on the bike (which is potentially removable) unattended in a public place, seems crazy.

I'm sure batteries weighing 3-4kg must be a real nuisance to lug about if you want to go shopping or something, and this is why I was considering going for a bike with the lighter and smaller batteries under 2kg. But then you're limited on power and range.

Even if someone can't remove the battery from the bike if it's locked, there's always the risk it will attract more attention and shout out "e-bike" to any thief passing by who fancies trying to nick it. It could end up being vandalised and wires cut etc, if they can't steal it, and if you're a long way from home that could be a real problem.

I guess that's where insurance comes in, and parking your bike in the safest and most secure place possible.

Perhaps someone should come up with a motion sensor alarm system that alerts the owner via his wrist watch that someone is messing with the bike? I bet the Chinese will produce something like that before long :D

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
there is a increasing case for a secure indoor bike park of the same (or better) standard to be created in Britain (don't they have these in some foreign countries?)
I think you're right, because clearly e-bikes with their higher value than regular bikes and vulnerability need to be stored indoors. Perhaps if the market grows large and they become mainstream that could happen.

If you parked your e-bike in a proper indoor car park it's probably even more at risk of a thief making off with it in the back of a van, than if you parked it in a public bike rack under CCTV. Wouldn't you say?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
as for leaving in the Locker......A friend of ours had locker broken into at local pool and lost everything...wallet/cash/cards/keys and his BMW.....Yep, car has never been seen again:rolleyes:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I think you're right, because clearly e-bikes with their higher value than regular bikes and vulnerability need to be stored indoors. Perhaps if the market grows large and they become mainstream that could happen.

If you parked your e-bike in a proper indoor car park it's probably even more at risk of a thief making off with it in the back of a van, than if you parked it in a public bike rack under CCTV. Wouldn't you say?
depends on the layout of the building. a shared car/bike park would need to have a controlled area where you could get bikes in and out but it would be impossible to get a van through in normal operational use. the same methods used to enforce height and width restrictions in a car park can be adapted..

OTOH friends of mine who have been to Europe have mentioned some areas of the Netherlands have large bike parks with CCTV and security measures which also contain repair shops - its of course in the interests of the commercial business running the repair shop to keep the place as secure as possible..

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Also depends to some extent on the bike. Not saying Wispers are immune from having their batteries knicked, but once they're locked in place it would take bit of bashing and levering to break the built-in lock etc. to get the battery out.

Personally, I supplement the built-in lock by running a heavy chain through the battery handle, which I then feed through one of my two 'major' locks as well. (The chain also goes through my saddle, to help prevent my very desirable adjustable seatpost from going walkabouts, too).

Allen (Wisper 905se, 2010)

Neil

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2008
Having the battery off will change little

Would I buy a second hand battery for my bike, one with a broken lock or from an unknown person? My much changed Pro connect if stolen would be very difficult to sell. There are stupid thieves around and of course there are some who just enjoy mindless vandalism. Having my battery still on the bike in my mind will change little the change of theft or mindless damage.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Would I buy a second hand battery for my bike, one with a broken lock or from an unknown person? My much changed Pro connect if stolen would be very difficult to sell. There are stupid thieves around and of course there are some who just enjoy mindless vandalism. Having my battery still on the bike in my mind will change little the change of theft or mindless damage.
Ther was an obviously stolen Kalkhoff on London Gumtree recently, with no charger, it sold eventually. I think without the battery as well the scum bags chances of selling would have been more difficult. But its a bit of a hassle so not many will bother removing.....

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Oddly, this thread keeps popping up with the last recent reply by Eddie, which is gone when I go to look at it. It's been doing this for a couple of days.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oddly, this thread keeps popping up with the last recent reply by Eddie, which is gone when I go to look at it. It's been doing this for a couple of days.
I've noticed this happening on other threads intermittently too. It happens sometimes on the "sticky" threads that are in a separate folder but appear in here after a post entry which might be intentional, so this might be related to that function in some way.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I leave it in only when I go to the shops etc. I wouldn't risk someone attempting to lever the seat open and taking it. I have taken it in with me to offices etc when the outside temp is below 5°C and/or I'm going to be longer than 15 minutes.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Yes, I am constantly having to refresh to see thread content...is forum in its death throws?:confused:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
It's a Poll

Is it because there is a 'poll' facility at the head of the thread. Perhaps members are casting a vote but not adding a comment. If so, is this what's bumping the thread?.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Ooops

Perhaps I should have added a note !
So far I have only used my bike from home (locked indoors) to work (underground carpark with keyfob access), once I have sorted out an alarm and alarmed cable lock it will be used for more trips where I can do without the car.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Ah well, ressurected, but still an interesting poll. I leave the battery on the bike in my work car park, but that is indoor and quite secure. I dont think i'd leave it on outside unless it was only for 5 mins. The battery locks, but i can imagine people mangling it in trying to remove it. Also, i'd be concerned about leaving it in the rain for long periods of time.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
My bike's secure at work. If I go into town I leave it on as it's too darned heavy to lug around and it's locked to the rack anyway. With the panniers on, I'm sure most people wouldn't even know it's an ebike so it should be o.k.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
...so it should be o.k.
And that really is the point, i.e. it SHOULD be ok.

The only way to ensure that your precious ebike (or its battery) never gets nicked is not to own one in the first place.

Allen.

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
if i'm going to a place where i think i may not take one of the bigger bikes inside, i ride the brompton-nano. never been refused entry, even into quite secure buildings, with the brompton-nano and battery bag

Last edited: