Dogs!

schoe

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2010
I went out for a ride on Sunday along the canal and was chased by a couple of dogs, I managed to outpace them, just about, but wondered if others have any story's to tell and the best way of stopping them biting you if it had been at night I think they would have got me!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I went out for a ride on Sunday along the canal and was chased by a couple of dogs, I managed to outpace them, just about, but wondered if others have any story's to tell and the best way of stopping them biting you if it had been at night I think they would have got me!
Scary! Maybe the sound of the motor excites them and makes them want to give chase.. I saw a dog looking at my bike today when I accelerated past but I've never been chased by one I must say.

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
I always tend to just slow down, and use my electric horn for dogs and kids.

Once while cycling along a shared path along a road side , a dog jumped up at me, I fell sideways into the road. lucky for me there were no cars approaching, otherwise I don't think I would be riding today.

I don't think I would be inclined to put on a chase along the canal path.

Donna

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Dogs can normally just get in the way like my Blue staffie does and take a few bones and hand them out and then peddle off fast :D

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
What a sad story, nasty man.. but I guess being a farmer who is used to killing animals its just another animal.. Sounds like flecc had a nasty encounter though with the bite and all. If he had reported it no doubt the authorities might of ordered the dog to be put to down.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Sounds like the farmer was just as fed up with the dog Flecc and just needed an 'excuse' to terminate it's existence :eek:

I've come across many dogs and owners on my rides but luckily so far they have been without incidence...I do slow down though to almost walking pace which I hope goes some way to calming any wayward dog or owner!

Last edited:

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
I haven't had a dog encounter for many years but the most effective response was to 'bark' at the dog in a loud aggressive manner (as realistically as possible), they seemed so surprised by this (or puzzled by the mysterious language used) that they become unsure whats going on and lose interest. You mightget some funny look from humans too!

As a last resort, if you have a pump to hand, this can be used defend yourself (but will probably wreck the pump!)

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Errant Sheepdog

I ride past a Farmyard regularly on my Scooters and Bicycles and get chased by the Sheepdog .As soon as I park up and take off my helmet , the dog walks away . Obviously with only cattle on the farm , he is deprived of sheep and has to find something to give him the thrill of the chase . He ignores cars . Maplins do a hand held dog scarer , but if I was clever enough to use that and ride one handed I would try something more drastic , like a can of WD 40 and a match . Only kidding dog lovers !When he`s not there I miss him and wonder if he`s passed on .

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I see a lot of dogs and my only problems have been with them getting in the way, a while back I hit one pretty hard and ended up in an argument with the owner about control.
In a huge park why do people insist on exercising them along the only cycle path?

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Or, in a huge park, why do cyclists insist on riding on the only walking path...

A

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Or, in a huge park, why do cyclists insist on riding on the only walking path...

A
:confused: The park I'm thinking of has loads of footpaths, most of them much safer for dogs than the cycle path.
To be fair a lot of dogs aren't a concern wherever I am, maybe some owners should recognise they have no control over their pets and only let them off the lead well away from other people.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Should have just kept cycling lol...

Either way its an accident.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Lock this Thread

Hi I think this thread should be locked

It is going to get out off control

I have 4 rescue dogs I wont comment apart from If you can run a dog over you can run over a Child

If we are not careful there will be NEW Notices in all Parks NO ELECTRIC BIKES

Frank

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Richard's New Bicycle Book (Paperback)

The most practical advice anywhere on dealing with dogs is on pages 167 to 170 of the 1990 edition of this outstanding book.
Now out of print this large format 363 page book is available today on ebay for as little as £2.74 post paid in the UK.

Dave

From
amazon.com
This review is from: Richard's New Bicycle Book (Paperback)
This book should have never been let go out of print. R's 'Ultimate' book does not replace it. This book has much writing of great character and insight. It covers the whole rainbow of cycling with proper respect and depth, with particular nods to velomobiles, trikes, recumbents and folders. This edition also has the finest assortment of B&W bike sketch art ever published, with superb highlights by the incomparable PAT.

Richards New Bicycle Book (1990) - Anybody Read It? | Commuting Chat | Commuting | Forums - BikeRadar

Genesis750

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2010
Dogs - the answer

I have a sureproof way of stopping them - visit this website:

"www.eastwoodpetburials.co.uk" we usually wait until the animals are dead tho.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
:confused: The park I'm thinking of has loads of footpaths, most of them much safer for dogs than the cycle path.
To be fair a lot of dogs aren't a concern wherever I am, maybe some owners should recognise they have no control over their pets and only let them off the lead well away from other people.
Sorry for the confusion. Down in the soft south, parks tend to have paths which are shared by bikes, pedestrians, dog-walkers, and others. If we had dedicated cycle-paths through the parks I'd complain too. Particularly if they were off their leads (and that goes for the dogs too).

(PS any idea why Banbury Frank is so riled about this one?)

A