Done it for the first time....but...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But how about considering the CO2 cylinders? They are small and will be even easier to use so you can consider taking a couple on rides.

I've not used the CO2 ones -perhaps others have?
I have CO2 on one of my bikes but have only used it on other peoples bikes when rescuing them. One cylinder will pump a small 20" tyre to just 30 lbs, so with larger wheels you'd need at least two and it can still be only "get you home" pressures achieved.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
. My 905 came with Kenda tyres QUOTE]

seriously! Who the hell would ship an expensive bike with such sh***y tyres! Thats really tight.
It's the sort of standard available in China, eZee also use them, and their Maxxis tyres that Giant used to use are not much better. The Orientals seem to have a problem with tyres, it took a very long time for Bridgestone to eventually come good for Japan and that's still their only decent tyre.

Strange when you consider that the Far East is where we first got rubber from.

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
. My 905 came with Kenda tyres QUOTE]
seriously! Who the hell would ship an expensive bike with such sh***y tyres! Thats really tight.
After this ride in this morning, I can definitely second how rubbish the Kenda tyres are that are fitted on the Wisper 905se. I had three punctures on the way in (back tyre, of course :rolleyes: ). The first time I changed to my spare innertube and checked the rim & tyre for any thorns etc and found none. 20m down the road, blow-out number 2. This time I fixed the innertube in-situ, and pumped the tyre up again (using the equally cheap and nasty pump that comes with the 905se). Using this pump once is frustrating, but having to use it again 20m down the road... This time I moved the tyre right off the rim to check more thoroughly for anything that may have caused the punctures, again nothing, no spokes poking through or anything. Off I went again, and you guessed it - almost immediately another blowout. All three punctures were complete blowouts - instant flats. This time I decided it was time to give up - after inspecting the tyre again, I noticed it is worn in places on the side near the rim, worn all the way through in places, so I assume this is what caused the blowouts, as the inner-tube pushed it's way through the holes. SO, I had to push the bike for the remaining 8 miles of the journey, arriving at work very late and extremely pi**ed off. The bike was only 4 months old, and I have cycled it very little over the winter, it's only done 400 miles. So, for the tyres to have completely worn through is absolutely disgusting. I had already had 3 punctures over the last 4 months, but they were all due to thorns and one cable clip! I've just ordered 2 continental tyres as recommended by others on this site. After my experience this morning, I would recommend to anyone buying a Wisper 905se that they make it a priority to replace the tyres with decent ones and buy a decent pump to keep with them!
Howard

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
It's the sort of standard available in China, eZee also use them, and their Maxxis tyres that Giant used to use are not much better. The Orientals seem to have a problem with tyres, it took a very long time for Bridgestone to eventually come good for Japan and that's still their only decent tyre.

Strange when you consider that the Far East is where we first got rubber from.
and where the most bicycles are ridden! Maybe its because they also still have the chap (usually an older gent) who fixes punctures very quickly "while you wait" by the roadside for a small fee...

but why don't the manufacturers get the tyres from Germany instead?

I remember in the 80s (maybe even today) the higher end Japanese hi-fi often had British loudspeakers for this very reason.

that said the current Ezee Forza appears to be (sensibly) sold with Schwalbe Marathon tyres.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
So far I seem to have been fortunate with the Kenda Kshields (1.25x26).

I've had tyres go on the tyre/bead interface before. The innertube ballons through and ka-boom! My second set of tyres went the same way but I managed to get home because I shoved some cardboard between tube and tyre where the hole in the wall was (old bike).

So far I've done over 300 miles on my Wisper without a puncture (touch wood, fingers crossed, whistle three times and turn round twice).

Best regards.

Vikki.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And seconding Vikki, I used the Kendas on my Torq for ariund a 1000 miles before changing them and on the Quando for some 800 miles also. During those times I didn't have a single puncture in an area where the Maxxis tyres on my Lafree punctured regularly.

In reply to Alex, formerly exchange rates plus transport and duties made European tyres an expensive option in China. That's partially changed for the moment so much easier at present and others like eZee might adapt to that.

Howard

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2008
I'm not sure what type of Kendas are on my Wisper - it just says Kenda on the tyre. Maybe some of the other styles they do are better, and the one on the Wisper is particularly naff. There so seem to be quite a few people having problems with them though... Anyway - flecc and Vikki, please stop being so reasonable - I'm trying to be in a strop here...:p

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
. My 905 came with Kenda tyres

I'd just like to correct the quote that came out wrong a few times.

I was disappointed with the Kenda tyres, one had a failed sidewall within a week and the other had a lot of punctures. Other tyres with Kevlar lining have also got punctures fairly frequently but not as often.
Punctures are a fact of life and should be expected unless there is a Marathon Plus type of insert, failed sidewalls show poor quality.
I also had a big failure on a Travel Contact where the kevlar band was cut and it made the bike feel unstable so even big brands can produce bad tyres. Someone on here had a lot of trouble getting a Schwalbe snow & ice tyre that was usable but I had no trouble, all a bit trial and error.
That said I'm not going to buy Kenda again. :p

joanna

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2008
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, especially Muscles and Flecc. Howard I really do sympathise, and feel my 4 miles walk was nothing now!!!

I think I am going to invest in some really good tyres, and a decent pump, and see how it goes from there. Obviously some people are OK with the original tyres, but other like me seem to have problems.

I am getting quite well known at our local bike shop - even though I didn't know it exsisted 3 weeks ago.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure what type of Kendas are on my Wisper - it just says Kenda on the tyre.

... Anyway - flecc and Vikki, please stop being so reasonable - I'm trying to be in a strop here...:p
:D. I didn't say they were good though, just they didn't puncture.

In other terms they were rubbish, so stroppiness is in order. :)

Below is the Kenda originally fitted on my Torq and the Marathon Plus I replaced it with. Guess which one is the Kenda and guess which one was more like a tractor tyre:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
75 psi does seem a lot to me, surely 65 would be kinder? ;)
You're probably right there. But spare the pump and spoil the tyre (and the speed). I tend to keep mine now at 90 - 110 PSI (not a Wisper owner!). I had a puncture in my first 100 miles followed by a 3 mile walk home. So lots of sympathy with Johanna and anyone else who gets caught out. At the time I had the tyres at a much lower pressure and hit some crap in the middle of the road.
Now I've done a few miles my behind is less tender and I can once more sit on a hard wooden chair without wincing. I keep the tyres nice and hard. I haven't had a puncture for the last 500 miles. A colleague of mine, with the same tyres, keeps them up at the max (110) and despite very high mileage has only had one puncture to my knowledge and what he hit would probably have done a car tyre.
Also add my vote for the Topeak master blaster morp pumps. They are brilliant. :) I'm normally quite placid and mild mannered but a crap pump can make me go ballistic.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I always carry a puncture repair kit and tools in my panniers for those moments when air turns blue :eek:

Vikki.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Is there a cycle AA and if so do they help electric bike people?

I try not to carry anything in my pockets when cycling.

thx

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Afraid not Bob. In York there's a bike rescue firm which can repair out on the road or take the bike to a dealer for the owner.

In the North West Kent area there's one of our members who runs a Bike Rescue and repair service.

Probably there are others elsewhere, but I only know of those two. However, motorcycle rescue firms will recover e-bikes and they are in all areas.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
I've had one puncture in the 250 miles I've owned the Wisper, a new inner tube was needed and a new tyre because of the half inch split in it, still I do favour cycling down farm type tracks, with all the attendant thorns and sharp stones etc, to get me as deep into the countryside as possible. This tyre was a Kenda which states max psi of 65. A Schwalbe was fitted and inflated, the next time I went to ride the bike it had gone down as flat as a pancake, and I hadn't ridden on it having taken the bike from the shop in the car. I pumped it up again and it's been ok ever since, so I put that down to a sticking valve. It's not the Marathon, but they could be interesting to fit - as someone else says, they add another one mile per hour, and on an e bike that's useful.
I use a cheap stirrup type pump which costs me about £3 50, wholesale price, it's not bad but takes a lot of effort to get the tyres up to 65psi, I lean on the pump handle and press it down in stages, trying to get it to about 70 because on detatching the tube I always lose about 5 or more psi, and if I'm particularly slow to get the inflation tube off lose a lot more and have to start all over again. :(

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I use a cheap stirrup type pump which costs me about £3 50, wholesale price, it's not bad but takes a lot of effort to get the tyres up to 65psi, I lean on the pump handle and press it down in stages, trying to get it to about 70 because on detatching the tube I always lose about 5 or more psi, and if I'm particularly slow to get the inflation tube off lose a lot more and have to start all over again. :(
Using a Master Blaster, the above would be so easy and it would take next to no effort to get to 65psi. I've never needed to start all over again.

They are small. light, easy to push on, clamp, and pull off from the valve. The pressure seems to go up so quick it doesn't seem right given such a short stroke.

The only downside is they cost a lot more than £3.50 (£15 - £30 I believe), and they are very attractive/nickable. I have no association with the company I hasten to add but recommend to anyone who wants to take all the pain out of blowing tyres up.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Is there a cycle AA and if so do they help electric bike people?
If you get your cycle insurance from ETA then it includes a 24-hour rescue service in case you get stuck. You can phone them up with a flat tyre and they'll send a big taxi round to pick you up and take you home free of charge. It even includes rescue when you're abroad. I carry their card in my wallet at all times.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Using a Master Blaster, the above would be so easy and it would take next to no effort to get to 65psi. I've never needed to start all over again.
QUOTE]
Thanks for that Barnowl, I'll get a Master Blaster, I'll try to buy one from the fairly local independent cycle shops otherwise I'll have to try Halfords, actually I reckon that will make a good new topic :eek:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Also add my vote for the Topeak master blaster morp pumps.
I think there's a little confusion here.
MasterBlaster is a range of pumps from full size frame pumps to mini pumps, I've had a MasterBlaster mini pump and it has been very hard work, it also wore out quickly. The frame pumps in the same range are probably much better but from what I have read they are being replaced with the Morph range. There is a mini morph which is quite likely much harder to use than the rest of the range and the rest are designed for slightly different uses so it's not so simple.
I think as a rule morph pumps are easier to use than MasterBlaster pumps and large pumps will be easier to use than small ones. Too simple?