Don't forget your helmet

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why? What about all these thousands of regular commuters arriving at train stations? Do they just take a rental bike on impulse or is cycling the last mile or three to their workplace a planned activity that a little forethought can accommodate?
As I've already posted:

"the 11,500 London hire bikes, heavily used by commuters coming in by rail from far away and then cycling the last mile or three to their workplace. Do you really think they'll buy a helmet, carry it from home, sit on the train for one to three hours clutching it just for a short use afterwards? Of course they won't, they'll just revert to what they did before the hire bikes existed."

I really don't know why we bother arguing this with you. Compulsion is not going to happen in my lifetime and probably not in yours either. You are banging your head against a very solid wall of world opposition to enforcement.

Reactions: wheeler and vidtek

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Link please

Did you know that the US CDC & European Medicines Agency (EMA) & the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) have all approved COVID-19 vaccination for those over 12 years of age?

There are always going to be those for whom vaccination is not recommended eg those who have show allergy to vaccines. That's why words like "most" are used. Most means 99.999%

Is it just COVID-19 vaccination or is it all vaccinations that you have a problem with?
What's CDC got to do with it. They're just a bunch of foreign partisan hacks, who change their minds on a daily basis depending which way the wind is blowing: Don't wear masks, wear masks, wear two masks; don't vaccinate any children, vaccinate 12 years old, etc.The WHO provide official guidance and we have actual records from ONS/NHS.

How many of the CDC wear cycle helmets then?

Last edited:

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
I asked for a link to evidence that proves cycle helmets do not reduce head injuries. You are pulling that politician's trick of avoiding an uncomfortable answer by answering another question that was not asked in the first place.

You still haven't answered as to why wearing a helmet is so awful for you personally that you prefer to risk head injury. The skull & brain within is remarkably fragile & easily damaged. Any added protection is better than none.
Why would you ask for a link to prove something that there can obviously be none? Are you deliberately being obtuse? I don't care what you asked for that is a nonsense request - why should I accede to that nonsense. No politician's trick, it's you who is deliberately being patently ridiculous.
I hate wearing the things, they are uncomfortable and it negates the whole point to me of the freedom of having the wind blow in my hair as I cycle along the promenade at 6-8mph with my thongs(sorry in the UK they call them flip-flops) shorts and t-shirt. I do sometimes wear a hoody with several layers tog socks and gloves when it's below zero though.......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So because you hate them you stick your head in the sand and ignore the fact they save lives, Talk about being deliberately obtuse...
Vidtek's life and mine haven't needed saving. Did you note his comment about riding at 6 to 8 mph?

Even on pedelecs my average speed on rides was 12 mph at most, and when on unpowered bikes in my hilly area a lot slower than that. In other words I ride like the Dutch in a leisurely fashion, also the way the British used to back in the 1940s and '50s, the era I come from. So like the Dutch I've never needed a helmet in all my 70+ cycling years.

Racing around at 20 or more mph all the time has never appealed to me, but if I was that sort of rider I imagine I'd feel the need for a helmet. But I'm not, bikes were always transport for me, not for breaking hypothetical records.

Reactions: vidtek

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

DSC_0221_03_01.JPG

thats a 150 quid helmet next to my 460 carbon helmet so you get what you pay for but i roll round going 30mph so better on than off.

and tbh i could wear that thing all day it is that comfy and it is clamped to my head so no way it can rotate like my old one did.

Last edited:

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
So because you hate them you stick your head in the sand and ignore the fact they save lives, Talk about being deliberately obtuse...
No you are being obtuse. I have never said they do not save lives, minuscule proportion though it may be, every life is precious. I just object to being forced to wear one against my will, I do not see the need in the manner in which I ride, just like Flecc. You evangelists just don't get it and you never will. This will be my last comment, you have your opinion and I have mine, I prefer to remain on a friendly basis here.

Reactions: Bikes4two and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
last year in the summer some guy on a drop bar race bike, with the handle bars on upside down came flying round a corner on the canal path he clipped my handle bars hit the fence post on the other side and went flying over the handle bars and was tko for about 5 mins all he had on was flip flops and shorts and lucky he landed on the grass verge next to the canal cos if he landed on the concreate path the way he landed he would be dead as he was 73 and was taken to hospital as was out of it and his front wheel was toast.

since lock down began i have had 2 ppl crash in to me when not even moving and with all these fkn kids on scooters ect it is just not worth the risk anymore these days just from them hitting you at speed.

i have even put handle bar brake guards on my bike just for those lil fookers as they just dont care and think there invincible and pay more attention to there phone than looking where there going and all over the place like there pisses lol.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
since lock down began i have had 2 ppl crash in to me when not even moving and with all these fkn kids on scooters ect it is just not worth the risk anymore these days just from them hitting you at speed.
That's rubbish Soundwave, if you are standing still you are at no more risk than a pedestrian from someone else running into you. So should all pedestrians wear cycle helmets in case a two wheeler runs into them?

Just another example of the pro-helmet hysterical nonsense that gets spouted.

Reactions: wheeler and sjpt

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
One issue that concerns me, as a cycle helmet wearer for circa 45 years, is that if they are made cumpulsory then the resulting reduction in cycle use will mean far fewer motorists will have exprienced cycling which will in turn make cycling on the roads more dangerous and not less dangerous (for me) than before.

In particular any reduction in children cycling will mean that the group of motorists who cause a disproportion of accidents (i.e. teenagers) could have far less appreciation of cyclists.

As I recall there have been studies that show motorists are less considerate to cycle helmet wearers versus non helmet wears.

Concentrating on just one minor part of the debate, that helemets can reduce injuries, is rather naive.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
One issue that concerns me, as a cycle helmet wearer for circa 45 years, is that if they are made cumpulsory then the resulting reduction in cycle use will mean far fewer motorists will have exprienced cycling which will in turn make cycling on the roads more dangerous and not less dangerous (for me) than before.

As I recall there have been studies that show motorists are less considerate to cycle helmet wearers versus non helmet wears.

Concentrating on just one minor part of the debate, that helemets can reduce injuries, is rather naive.
I remember something of that study, a leather bush hat more effective at getting you noticed. Probably beaten by a fit arse, pert breasts and long blonde tresses flowing in the breeze.

• :D
Reactions: Nealh and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I remember something of that study, a leather bush hat more effective at getting you noticed. Probably beaten by a fit arse, pert breasts and long blonde tresses flowing in the breeze.
Indeed it was fully reported in A to B magazine, and yes, those female attributes did substantially reduce the risk.

The male conducting the study noted a lot more space and consideration given by motorists when he wore a long blonde wig.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimriley

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That's rubbish Soundwave, if you are standing still you are at no more risk than a pedestrian from someone else running into you. So should all pedestrians wear cycle helmets in case a two wheeler runs into them?

Just another example of the pro-helmet hysterical nonsense that gets spouted.
I have heard that the biggest saving of serious head injuries would come from compulsory helmets for all car drivers and passengers. I'm sorry but I haven't got reference to sources on that.

It would be great if that led to a reduction in driving as large as the reduction in cycling caused by Australia's silly helmet laws.

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
2 years ago i could ride down the canal path and not see hardly anyone yet now it is like a bloody motorway with bikes scooters one wheels skateboards ect and some are way faster than i can go and just dont care even plod has put adds in the local rag as they cant keep up with the scooter gang round here and when you see 10-15 of them flying towards you you best move ur ass out the way lol.

dont forget one guy tried to punch me in my face with my helmet on and another crashed in to me crossing the road and head butted me and cut his head open on my visor so round here it is not worth the risk anymore and dont even bother with the canal path anymore as just to many ppl esp with the dog walkers as well.

so in my case wearing a helmet has saved damage 2 times to my head but if any one wants a head butting contest against my fox rampage pro carbon helmet bring it on as i wont feel a thing :p

thats what it is like round here when the gangs kick off and it is all kids lol

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
2 years ago i could ride down the canal path and not see hardly anyone yet now it is like a bloody motorway with bikes scooters one wheels skateboards ect and some are way faster than i can go and just dont care even plod has put adds in the local rag as they cant keep up with the scooter gang round here and when you see 10-15 of them flying towards you you best move ur ass out the way lol.

dont forget one guy tried to punch me in my face with my helmet on and another crashed in to me crossing the road and head butted me and cut his head open on my visor so round here it is not worth the risk anymore and dont even bother with the canal path anymore as just to many ppl esp with the dog walkers as well.

so in my case wearing a helmet has saved damage 2 times to my head but if any one wants a head butting contest against my fox rampage pro carbon helmet bring it on as

i wont feel a thing :p

thats what it is like round here when the gangs kick off and it is all kids lol
You're living in the wrong place.

Nothing at all like that where I am, but if you moved here you'd have to start behaving too!

I suspect you might not like that. ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015