Don't forget your helmet

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
too close at daft speeds is what i posted, if they want to avoid being involved in an accident in those spectator confined conditions.

Yes I know they want a tow, but nearly every Tour has these spectator caused accidents so they know the risk is very high in spots like that.
You have no idea obviously, it's a race and that is how it is ridden, They were not too close or too fast the spectator was a 100% to blame.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lots of crashes today made the tour stage a near free for all up front, even Sagan came a cropper after getting caught by Caleb Ewens bad looking off on the final run in/sprint. GT had his shoulder popped back in and finished quite well considering, going to be a lot of sore bodies tomorrow following the carnage today.

• Informative
Reactions: Amoto65 and flecc

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Injury to riders notwithstanding (I hope they're all OK) but it's this kind of sporting spectacle that gives cycling in this country the reputation of being dangerous. So this becomes the oft repeated mantra, 'How can you ride a bike, it's so risky?'.
This along with the fact that the ONLY cycle adverts/depictions seen are for exactly these road bikes or, perhaps, some mountain bike extremis, gives the idea that it's a sport only. Of course all these guys wear helmets, they're doing something at the extreme end of cycling.
And that's exactly why I don't wear one (personal choice) because I am a, rarely seen or spoken of in this country, leisure/utility cyclist.
Therefore:
1 I don't ride at 40-60kph, I pootle around at 15-25kph.
2 My spine is not parralell to the road with my head down. I am upright and observing all around me.
3 I am not trying to go as fast as I can regardless of risk, I'm just trying to get my shopping home/get to the cafe for a butty.
4 I ride solo or with my wife, not in a tightly packed group all trying to get a tow.
5 I don't ride extreme trails (recently rode the Brecon canal tow path - does that count?).
6 I am unashamedly a fair weather rider.
All this means that I don't fall off. I am no more likely to fall of my bike than I am to fall over whilst walking. Whilst helmet compulsion may not stop me it would **** me off and certainly acts as a deterrant to new cyclists.

Outside my house there is no pavement. I have to walk about 40yards to where my van is parked. Despit a 30 limit cars do not slow or move out and still squeeze past me when something is coming the other way. Really, I am at more risk every day walking to my van than I am cycling our lovely hilly lanes. Perhaps I should get a 'going to the van' helmet.
I hope that common sense prevails and the wearing of protective gear remains in the realms of extreme pursuits, as it does in motor sport.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I was considering helmet wearing from the personal point of view. What downside is there if you are compelled to wear a helmet? None that I can see beyond the initial expense. They are not uncomfortable & don't obstruct vision. They protect you from serious injury. What's not to like?

A small number motorcyclists back in the sixties used to bang on about their right to suffer brain damage. We don't hear people bemoaning that loss of freedom nowadays. Perhaps because it it never made any sense. Likewise for seat belt refuseniks.
What you are ignoring is the fact that most motorcyclists prefer wearing a helmet because it keeps their head warm. I rode a motor bike in the old days and wore my helmet because it was very effective at keeping me warm, particularly in the winter of 1963.
Leisure cyclists are only going slowly and very unlikely to suffer a head injury. Apparently the risk of such head injury on a bike per mile is the same risk as walking a mile.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
According to who?
Firstly simple logic points in that direction on a time basis. A pedestrian has about 20 minutes to fall or act unwisely while walking a mile, a cyclist has only between 3 and 5 minutes typically, so less opportunity.

And here's an article supporting what Mike Killay said:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Little girl was told by Dad to wear her cycle helmet all the time, as kids do they get up to all sorts (I should know because once upon ago I was one). Said girl and her mates decide to climb a tree as they do, little girl slipped and helmet strap caught up in a branch and was strangled. Sadly little girl died, a true event from 2019/2020.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Little girl was told by Dad to wear her cycle helmet all the time, as kids do they get up to all sorts (I should know because once upon ago I was one). Said girl and her mates decide to climb a tree as they do, little girl slipped and helmet strap caught up in a branch and was strangled. Sadly little girl died, a true event from 2019/2020.
Yes, I remember that sad case.

One trouble with small children is that their heads are a different shape which often prompts then to wear the helmet on the back of the head where it isn't effective against forward injury and leaves the helmet strap around the neck:

K helmet 1.jpg

Reactions: sjpt

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
This has no relevance to road cycling and the wearing of helmets but thanks for warning me to take my helmet off if I decide to go tree climbing. A young lad in our town was on a bmx crashed banged his head and died a couple of years ago which is a more relevant case for wearing helmets.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The relevance is whether cycling or not under certain circumstance's they aren't any good.
Personally for most riding they are not of much use, they are if you like to go fast or ride more extremely.

Reactions: mike killay

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
The relevance is whether cycling or not under certain circumstance's they aren't any good.
Absolute rubbish, where is your evidence for these circumstances and climbing trees has no relevance as the poor young girl was not cycling, you may as well say cycle helmets are no good in a house fire.

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
According to who?
The government’s latest road casualty figures indicate that cyclists could ride round the world more than 1,000 times before there would be a fatality. Factor in serious injuries and they would still manage 35 laps unscathed.
Obviously those figures include all cyclists, not just the slowcoaches.
You're welcome.

Reactions: flecc

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Absolute rubbish, where is your evidence for these circumstances and climbing trees has no relevance as the poor young girl was not cycling, you may as well say cycle helmets are no good in a house fire.
Amoto,
You are losing it demanding evidence for every little thing and then being shot down in flames.
If you want to wear a helmet then that is just fine.
You have no right to force your opinions on to others by law.
That is just part of the Great British busybody, nanny knows best, nit picking fusspot control freak association agenda.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
That is just part of the Great British busybody, nanny knows best, nit picking fusspot control freak association agenda.
Yes, but there is probably more to it.

Lots of people these days seem to feel a need to achieve something notable or just to get 'likes' on social media.

Making cycle helmets compulsory is an apparent quick win and when the number of head injuries fall, the proponents of the legislation will feel well justified; look what we did, vote for me\us !

Of course its well known that such legislation would likley lead to a reduction in cycle use and such a reduction could further reduce the accident statistics making the change apparently even more beneficial.

The telling factor in this debate, which does make you question the exact motives of those promoting compulsory helmet wearing, is that there is no apparent interest in even considering the overall impact of such a change.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Personally for most riding they are not of much use, they are if you like to go fast or ride more extremely.
This is not true. There are even a couple of posts in this thread that describe cycle accidents where there would have been serious injury if a helmet had not been worn & they were not riding fast or extremely.

Wearing a helmet is like having insurance 99.9% of the time you don't need it but just occasionally you will be really grateful that you have it.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
You really are being perverse as we've shown. On my personal level wearing a helmet unnecessarily for over 70 years would have been a massive downside:

First for the discomfort, I dislike all hats.

Second for the sheer inconvenience throughout all those riding years.

Third for the offputting effect special clothing for cycling has on others who might otherwise cycle.

Fourth for the unnecessary cost.

All for zero gain, so what would be the point?
Just because you & I have never had an accident where a cycle helmet would have protected us doesn't negate the need to wear one. For obvious reasons we don't have any replies from those who suffered serious head injuries because they weren't wearing a helmet but there are a couple of posts in this thread where people had accidents where a helmet protected them from head injury.

As I mentioned in another reply wearing a cycle helmet is like insurance 99.9% of the time you don't need it but just occasionally you will be really glad that you do have it.