E-bike For a Child

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
It would be funny though to have whole family stopped and all bikes confiscated ;)

You guys don't have children, do you? My girls were never left unsupervised in their entire life. Ever.
I have only one child, she'll be 22 this year, we purposefully gave her a lot of freedom as a child (as I my self had back in the 80's).
She has turned out fine (apart from being a traffic warden) and has been living independently since the age of eighteen, never been in serious trouble nor pregnant.
You have to allow children to be children, they are only young once.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
On a trail where worst case is broken bones, maybe, personally I wouldn't have let either of my kids when they were ten out on a powered ebike. Imagine having to explain to your wife etc. ...

Other side of coin is very young kids have been riding motorbikes doing off road stuff for donkeys years, anyone remember 'Junior Kick Start' on BBC, always good for a laugh when I was a kid and some young kid falls of a beam on his bike and gets it in the nads...
Yeah I have seen loads of those kids riding motorbikes off road - all smashed up on those helicopter rescue programmes. Compound fractures, agonising injuries. Not so good. It could end in even worse trouble. How about spinal injuries and life long paralysis?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Yeah I have seen loads of those kids riding motorbikes off road - all smashed up on those helicopter rescue programmes. Compound fractures, agonising injuries. Not so good. It could end in even worse trouble. How about spinal injuries and life long paralysis?
I guess for children low power assistance and low speed would be sufficient. Just enough to help them with hills.

Reactions: Tony1951

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's far more seriously injured cyclists on the A & E programs on several channels. Last one I saw didn't have to wait for an ambulance, he'd collided with the back of one. And one adult case I saw a little while ago was so horrifically injured that even the case hardened female A & E doctor was fighting back tears. Regardless of age, cycling is either safe or not safe, potential downhill speed being the same whether assisted or unassisted and the rider's vulnerability to injury or death likewise.

I guess for children low power assistance and low speed would be sufficient. Just enough to help them with hills.
No, as above, cycling for children is either safe or unsafe, EPAC assistance to 15.5 mph makes no difference to that and they are only bicycles in law and in practice. Either we should allow all child cycling or ban all of it.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
cycling for children is either safe or unsafe, EPAC assistance to 15.5 mph makes no difference to that and they are only bicycles in law and in practice. Either we should allow all child cycling or ban all of it.
It is not as simple black and white picture. Added mass would increase risk of injury in case of a fall and there would be also a risk of child loosing control, but I think potential benefits far outweigh risk.
I am really tempted to make such conversion just to see how would that work... pending approval by wife.

...right... wife... there is no way she would approve :(

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Added mass would increase risk of injury in case of a fall and there would be also a risk of child loosing control
The added mass need not be large enough to make much difference, especially for the obesity epidemic kids whose added mass is greater than any pedelec!

I think potential benefits far outweigh risk.
Definitely, they'd cycle much more so become more skilled as well as healthier.

I am really tempted to make such conversion just to see how would that work... pending approval by wife.

If she lets them cycle, assistance less than that which gravity provides downhill should make no difference.

But of course that is logic. Mens stuff. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Az.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Yes - it's a complex issue. Flecc is right that cycling can be dangerous - even at normal unassisted speeds. It is also, or can be, the source fun and healthy exercise. The positives of riding are something we can all agree on. The chances of being harmed by cycling, assisted or not are much lower than the chances of getting a lot of benefit from it.

Reactions: flecc and Az.

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
FAB racing start them as young as 6.

Attachments

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
It is not as simple black and white picture. Added mass would increase risk of injury in case of a fall and there would be also a risk of child loosing control, but I think potential benefits far outweigh risk.

If you find a way to convert a standard kids bike with not much added weight that would be useful to share. So many motors are 4 or 5 kilos, and it has to be quite a small capacity battery to be less than 2.

Maybe this could be a use for all those Swytch kits people have grown out of!

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

That is exactly what my 10 years old girls need. Hills just drain all their energy.
What do you guys think about 14 years legal limit?

I can't believe any idiot would put a child on a motorbike, I thought there was an age starting at 14/16 must be the US ?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I can't believe any idiot would put a child on a motorbike, I thought there was an age starting at 14/16 must be the US ?
I didn't say anything about motorbike.
Legal age in UK is 14.

You are very fast to offend people.

• Agree

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Maybe this could be a use for all those Swytch kits people have grown out of!
I was thinking the same, but kids grow out of bikes so fast. One would need to learn how to lace wheel.

TSDZ2B? It is only 3.6kg, but torque sensor might be problematic for child. Better would be cadence sensor.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The added mass need not be large enough to make much difference, especially for the obesity epidemic kids whose added mass is greater than any pedelec!
Yes. For child 100W should be more than enough.

If she lets them cycle, assistance less than that which gravity provides downhill should make no difference.
My wife might want us to wait till they are 14, but truth is, they need assistance now.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I was thinking the same, but kids grow out of bikes so fast. One would need to learn how to lace wheel.

TSDZ2B? It is only 3.6kg, but torque sensor might be problematic for child. Better would be cadence sensor.
Only the first wheel build is slow! It is quite satisfying, and not as hard as I expected. Just replaced both my rims.

I was thinking one of those under 2kg hub motors, put in a smaller wheel, would have lower max speed and better uphill assistance. So all the help needed uphill, and more exercise than the adults at higher speeds!

With a 200Wh battery or less, enough for local 'play' rides, and accompanying adult can carry a spare battery for them on longer rides.

Reactions: Az.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Only the first wheel build is slow! It is quite satisfying, and not as hard as I expected. Just replaced both my rims.

I was thinking one of those under 2kg hub motors, put in a smaller wheel, would have lower max speed and better uphill assistance. So all the help needed uphill, and more exercise than the adults at higher speeds!

With a 200Wh battery or less, enough for local 'play' rides, and accompanying adult can carry a spare battery for them on longer rides.
That is encouraging... I think it is you who should write a tutorial.

2kg motor sounds good. Hub also would be less visible.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
That is encouraging... I think it is you who should write a tutorial.

2kg motor sounds good. Hub also would be less visible.
I wish I had workshop space and more time! 4 years to retirement still!