e-bikes with hidden battery

chris2014

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2014
suggest me a decent ebike with hidden battery
not expensive ones like Stromer or Specialized, just decent quality ebikes up to 2000 euros

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are very few hidden battery e-bikes, Chris, and all those I know are over your budget. Nor is the "hiding" all that effective on most in my opinion, for example Sparta and BH E-motion both making the downtube expansion obvious, and both well over €2000.

IZIP made a similar one much cheaper, but then withdrew it and also discontinued the special batteries leaving owners stumped for replacements. That's an important consideration when buying of course.

I assume you will also want the motor to be discreet and quiet.

If you don't mind having a backpack/rucksack, a smart way is to carry a battery in that with a simple inline connector. That has the advantage that when leaving the bike, the battery can't be stolen! An e-bike stunt team run by Team Hybrid rode their bikes that way.

So a good option is to get the bike you like and add a discreet kit motor and backpack battery.

Reactions: jackhandy

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The reason why there are no cheap e-bikes with hidden battery is twofold-
1. Protanium have a patent on this style of battery mounting...I have to say that the patent looks dubious to me and must be contestable under prior art,but nobody has bothered to legally challenge it,most have found another method.
2. Hidden batteries such as this tend to be very low volume production and therefore expensive...whereas the water bottle style battery we use on all our mountain style bikes is made in thousands by many competing battery manufacturers so the price is cheap (our Kudos water bottle style battery,replacement cost £198.00).
regards
KudosDave

C

Cyclezee

If you have a kit installed a battery in a backpack is the most discreet way to carry it as long as it is not too heavy.

I have done this myself, but I am not bothered too much about being stealthy and as far as security is concerned my battery is locked to the bike so not so easily nickable........unless the whole bike is stolen:eek:

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I'm not sure whether this counts as hidden but another Sparta option with an unobtrusive battery is the E-motion X2, which manages to squeeze a 324Wh battery into the chain-case. It would be difficult to get the battery weight any lower.

I've never ridden this particular model, so can't comment on how it performs, but other Sparta bikes I've tried have been very well built, smooth and quiet, but perhaps not the best on hills.

They're spot on your upper price limit and available in the uk from Justebikes.

Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This one is easy to solve.

Why don't you first of all buy an inexpensive Ebike. Then remove the battery and give it to a friend together with instruction to put it in a place that you will never find.

Hey presto, an inexpensive ebike with a hidden battery.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If you have a kit installed a battery in a backpack is the most discreet way to carry it as long as it is not too heavy.

I have done this myself, but I am not bothered too much about being stealthy and as far as security is concerned my battery is locked to the bike so not so easily nickable........unless the whole bike is stolen:eek:
John.I recommend that our customers remove the battery when leaving the bike,an electric bike without battery is useless to a thief,more useless in fact than a normal bike....so without the battery they tend to avoid nicking it.
Also if we get an enquiry for a replacement battery and/or charger we ask a lot of awkward questions like invoice No,frame No,purchase date/location...the thief soon gets fed up with such questions.
We had a lady in Essex who had her Kudos Duchess bike stolen,she kept the battery and charger,it appeared on e-bay days later,we were able to tell her where to recover it.
KudosDave

Reactions: hech

chris2014

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2014
the reason that i ask about stealth/hidden battery ebikes is that i found normal ebikes ugly.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Recently there has been a few new BH Neo Xtrem's up for grabs at £1,500.00 in Ireland.
I reckon that it wouldn't take much persuasion to get other bikes from the NEO range discounted from dealers.

And if you do decide upon a NEO, search this forum first to get opinions about BH Easy Motion as a company. Barge and pole spring to mind when I think of them.

C

Cyclezee

John.I recommend that our customers remove the battery when leaving the bike,an electric bike without battery is useless to a thief,more useless in fact than a normal bike....so without the battery they tend to avoid nicking it.
Also if we get an enquiry for a replacement battery and/or charger we ask a lot of awkward questions like invoice No,frame No,purchase date/location...the thief soon gets fed up with such questions.
We had a lady in Essex who had her Kudos Duchess bike stolen,she kept the battery and charger,it appeared on e-bay days later,we were able to tell her where to recover it.
KudosDave
Wow Dave,

Just goes to show I can still learn something new every day:p

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Hidden (in the bag lol) battery on my Brompton.

Battery (up to 6Ah, 2Kg) in the back left pocket, controller in the right.

All connects to the Brompton (motor, throttle and brake cutout) with an 8 wire/pin umbilical wire.

Jerry

Reactions: Arbol

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have a Scott e-aspect 910. The battery is where the water bottle would be and most people don't notice it at all! In fact the overall styling draws plenty of positive comments. I would recommend this to anyone.
Phill