E-biking and loss of weight.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Yes me too: they are always surprised! I think unless people have stumbled upon one in real life, or perhaps have a keen interest in all things bikes, they're really not likely to be aware of them. The poorer suitability for general riding of many UK bikes in the last few decades probably hasn't helped, that leading to a growing ignorance of whats a good bike in the first place & reducing the number of regular cyclists, and the apparently increasingly unfriendly road traffic especially in cities isn't conducive either I feel.

I only discovered them because one day I thought it would be a good idea to motorise a bike, searched the web & bobs your uncle. :D

Stuart.
Hi Stuart
I agree and I think it's a shame that you don't see them advertised on TV really :D. I suppose the expense would be too great and it would not be cost effective, but who knows in the future? Especially with the new road tax charges coming in next year! I think there will be many unhappy car drivers together with the rising cost of fuel, ebiking could be a boom in the future but then the government would be more aware of them and tax them too, to the hilt I bet!!! lol

I am not sure how I stumbled across them really but was looking for a new scooter I guess? I had been made redundant and knew I may have to look further afield for work distance wise and I came across the PowaByke, went down to my local supplier and bobs your uncle, lol! I wasn't aware at that time there were so many out there and took many months to choose ny second one :)

Mandy

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Weight loss?

I lost 2 stones in my first six months of Torq ownership. Brilliant bike for that purpose in that you have to put some effort in up the hills but can reap the rewards on the flat with 22mph. I have found myself going on regular long (15-20 mile) journeys and could not think of a better way to exercise.

Since then I have put back half a stone, but that is mainly due to the intake of fine wines and calvados.

Hooligooner

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2008
HP13
hooligooner.blogspot.com
I spent two and a half days bed-ridden with a lower back episode last week, it was only after receiving some pretty heavy prescription pain killers and muscle relaxants that I was able to get up and about again. I drove to work for the first two days of this week but have managed to cycle in yesterday and today.

I have to say what an absolute boon the pedelec is. I usually try to pedal quite hard, but have backed off and allowed the motor to take a lot more of the effort. However, I still get huge benefits from the light pedalling I am doing and have not needed any other form of pain relief at all today. Great stuff.

It has been about three months since I bought the bike and in that time I have lost 4Kg. I had hoped to lose more but, from reading above, this seems to be an reasonably normal amount. Only another 22Kg to go.

Last edited:

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Pedelec mode by choice

I chose the pedelec model rather than the throttle version because I knew that if I had a choice, on a cold wet evening when I was tired, I would use the throttle. I have to pedel and, even if the exercise I get is power assisted, as has been said earlier, it is better than nothing. I lost a stone in the first few months I used the bike but unfortunately put it all back on. Note to myself... stop eating and drinking so much!