E-biking and loss of weight.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Since I stopped e-biking almost 6 weeks ago due a bone fracture in my hand, I have lost 4Kg:confused:

I hope to be back in the saddle again this weekend if I can grip the handlebars adequately, so it will be interesting to see what happens to my weight then :eek:

J:) hn
Did you damage the hand that you use to hold a fork, John!

Only joking - hope your return to wheels goes well.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is my strong belief that lack of enough low intensity excercise is the main reason that so many people are obese these days, despite the obsession with 'low fat' food, constant dieting and 'going to the gym'. I'm hoping that a couple of hours of pedelecing a day and a sensible diet (not starvation) will help me keep trim. I'll let you know if it worked in a year's time!
Like so many these days I have to fight weight gain, but am fairly successful in being able to regularly return to around 70 kilos / 11 stones after a cyclical gain to around 74/75 kilos each year. It might not sound much, but if not stemmed it doesn't stop going on.

I too hoped e-biking and heavy trailer towing with the Lafree, where one has to pedal, would do the trick, but after more than four years of that, sadly no. The main contributor to my losing weight when necessary is not consuming so much in the first place.

C

Cyclezee

Very funny Frank, I almost laughed.........but not quite:p

Got back in the saddle today, now everything hurts, particulary my saddle:eek: as I haven't sat on a bike for 6 weeks. More elsewhere;)

J:) hn

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
Like so many these days I have to fight weight gain, but am fairly successful in being able to regularly return to around 70 kilos / 11 stones after a cyclical gain to around 74/75 kilos each year. It might not sound much, but if not stemmed it doesn't stop going on.

I too hoped e-biking and heavy trailer towing with the Lafree, where one has to pedal, would do the trick, but after more than four years of that, sadly no. The main contributor to my losing weight when necessary is not consuming so much in the first place.
I certainly wouldn't argue with your personal experience Flecc. I think its basically all about balance, i.e. energy in versus energy out and maintaining a healthy, efficient body (capable of adapting to different levels of activity). Many people have a complete aversion to any form of 'exercise' (even walking) and try to maintain their weight exclusively through a never ending series of low calorie diets and this can be counter-productive, as such diets cause muscle wastage, lethargy and lower the metabolism to such an extent that as soon as the person starts eating normally again - the weight goes straight back on. Low intensity excercise definitely helps to burn off excess calories and keep the build up of fat reserves in check - but it can't on its own result in rapid, substantial weight loss. Unfortunately, weight cannot really be healthily lost at a rate much faster than that at which it was gained and some level of dieting is necessary (but not extreme dieting).

Another really important factor is that muscle burns about 50 times as many calories as fat (just to maintain itself) so the more muscle we have the better. I'm not a fan of body building, but the example of extreme body builders,who have the opposite problem to the rest of us, serves to illustrate the point - they struggle to eat enough not to constantly lose weight!!.

I am probably beginning to sound a bit boring - but I've read so much about all this stuff over the years, its hard not to go on and on. Hopefully, it adds something of interest to this debate.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately, weight cannot really be healthily lost at a rate much faster than that at which it was gained and some level of dieting is necessary (but not extreme dieting).

Another really important factor is that muscle burns about 50 times as many calories as fat (just to maintain itself) so the more muscle we have the better.
Not boring at all. I've found that problem of the loss rate as well, hence cutting the intake.

And of course the years deplete the muscles, so at 72 I have less muscle mass to burn off calories. The brain can also do it though, and I work mine hard. :D

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi! Poppy here:
How was the accident? Did you go through a lot of pain? Needed rehab? Aren´t you the least daunted about riding again?
All these question are due to my having had fall. Hit the ground pretty hard though Xray show no fracture of any sort. But very sore and a bit aprehensinve.
Good luck! Quite weird the way you lost weight being inactive cycle-wise.
Don't let it put you off Poppy.
You just gotta get back on the horse (okay this is an english term for don't give up)
We all have accidents from time to time, it is just one of those things I guess? Unfortunately :(
Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Compadre (I learnt all my Spanish from the movies !)
I have had a few falls from the bikes I have owned..I feel it is an attude of mind.(mind you I have done some pretty stupid things)(there is an ENGLISH joke there)
Cycling is the next best experience a man can have (flying being the first , but oh my word is that expensive) On your bike you have so much freedom, it's worth the odd bit of pain/ discomfort..to have the freedom of the roads...The electric bike has opened up a new realm of pleasure to those of us who have to imbibe 600/ 1000mg of painkillers a day in order to limp about for an hour in the morning to get going..... :eek: :eek: :cool:
Ditto, I can no longer ride a scooter with any confidence of not recieving muscle spasms in my lower back but on an electric bike I am liberated as I tend to use cycle paths and if the worst came to the worst it is much safer to be stranded on a cycle path/path rather than with a heavy machine on a road. :D

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I certainly wouldn't argue with your personal experience Flecc. I think its basically all about balance, i.e. energy in versus energy out and maintaining a healthy, efficient body (capable of adapting to different levels of activity). Many people have a complete aversion to any form of 'exercise' (even walking) and try to maintain their weight exclusively through a never ending series of low calorie diets and this can be counter-productive, as such diets cause muscle wastage, lethargy and lower the metabolism to such an extent that as soon as the person starts eating normally again - the weight goes straight back on. Low intensity excercise definitely helps to burn off excess calories and keep the build up of fat reserves in check - but it can't on its own result in rapid, substantial weight loss. Unfortunately, weight cannot really be healthily lost at a rate much faster than that at which it was gained and some level of dieting is necessary (but not extreme dieting).

Another really important factor is that muscle burns about 50 times as many calories as fat (just to maintain itself) so the more muscle we have the better. I'm not a fan of body building, but the example of extreme body builders,who have the opposite problem to the rest of us, serves to illustrate the point - they struggle to eat enough not to constantly lose weight!!.

I am probably beginning to sound a bit boring - but I've read so much about all this stuff over the years, its hard not to go on and on. Hopefully, it adds something of interest to this debate.
It can also depend on the metabolism of an individual?
Ok, I may be one of the fortunate one's and do not gain weight unless I totally pig out, lol!
However, as regards to muscle tone etc ebiking (if you cannot easily ride a normal bike) is the way to go as you do not only use your legs for pedaling but your arms also for stearing and controlling the bike.
Not sure about the tum though with regards to muscles but would burn off the calories.
Any exercise is good and going from an on my feet enviroment to an office enviroment was not healthy, but now I e bike and feel I do get some excerise for part of the day and try and maintain some fitmness and firmness :)
and no that was not boring :)
Mandy

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
For me ebiking has proved useful I think for rebuilding some fitness and although I noticed only little initial weight loss of a few kg, it enabled me to get back on my mountain bike for shorter local routes, since when I've lost about 7kg in 6 months though some of that is probably down to better diet too :).

I suppose if I always pedalled that same amount on the Torq I'd lose the same amount of weight, plus get better range, but often I suppose its just all too easy to let the motor take much of the strain most of the time... :)

So I suppose weight loss on ebikes depends how much effort you put out (balanced with how much food you take in of course!), and at what intensity, but I'd say its good aerobic exercise and rebuilds some general cycle-fitness which can then be used to extend your range and/or speed for some, or further built-up if wanted by increased unassisted riding, maybe on an ordinary bike, all of which increase activity level and, potentially, weight loss :).

Stuart.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
For me ebiking has proved useful I think for rebuilding some fitness and although I noticed only little initial weight loss of a few kg, it enabled me to get back on my mountain bike for shorter local routes, since when I've lost about 7kg in 6 months though some of that is probably down to better diet too.

I suppose if I always pedalled that same amount on the Torq I'd lose the same amount of weight, plus get better range, but often I suppose its just all too easy to let the motor take much of the strain most of the time... :)

So I suppose weight loss on ebikes depends how much effort you put out (balanced with how much food you take in of course!), and at what intensity, but I'd say its good aerobic exercise and rebuilds some general cycle-fitness which can then be used to extend your range and/or speed for some, or further built-up if wanted by increased unassisted riding, maybe on an ordinary bike, all of which increase activity level and, potentially, weight loss :).

Stuart.
Hi Stuart
I think you have hit the nail on the head in a lot of respects.
I think your normal average John/Jane do would probably be put off by the thought of really cycling, if you know what I mean? lol
However, with the ebike you have the option and importantly the choice to pedal a little or in some cases not to pedal at all so it is a kind of a comfort in a lot of ways :D
I pedal all of the time in which ever mode and do push myself on my journey's and do so in order to improve my fitness stuck at a desk all day!!

I can honestly say that even if I could that I would not choose to ride a normal push bike to work, not in a million years!!! because I could phisically not be able do so, however this way I can get fit at leasure in a weird sort of way :D
Mandy

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Yes I totally agree Mandy and I'd say you've also hit a nail on the head: ebikes do offer an easy and very enjoyable way back into cycling for many, 2 big factors I think in some ebikes seeing more use than standard bikes, and you are always exercising & improving fitness in proportion to your pedalling effort, while having fun, and getting around cleanly too! :D

P.S. I should add that I'm lucky to live in cycle-friendly terrain - mostly flat or gently undulating in my area :).

Stuart.

Last edited:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Yes I totally agree Mandy and I'd say you've also hit a nail on the head: ebikes do offer an easy and very enjoyable way back into cycling for many, 2 big factors I think in some ebikes seeing more use than standard bikes, and you are always exercising & improving fitness in proportion to your pedalling effort, while having fun, and getting around cleanly too! :D

P.S. I should add that I'm lucky to live in cycle-friendly terrain - mostly flat or gently undulating in my area :).

Stuart.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

having had the Quando now since january 2nd i can say i am less fit then i was on jan 1st.............:eek: ...while the Quando is brilliant for the work jobs i use it for, the quick nipping here and there dropping stuff off, plus the great centre stand which is invaluable, plus the folability for the numerous popping in the back of cars on return journeys...while its great for them jobs its no use for fitness unless you want to pedal in pedelec mode at low speed, say 12mph...small wheels are the problem....ok someone will say .."whats wrong with pedelec mode"..well if you can go at 15.5 in power alone its a right drag going pedelec speed at 12mph...time is money as they say...plus pedelec mode you dont really use any force as you have to throttle at same time so you just feel like your legs are going round like windmills..the Quando is the best there is as far as im aware for working riding but fitness is a no no for me, i hope some day to get something that you pedal through the motor, hopefully a pro connect for leisure riding and fitness gaining....however by that time i think they will either be too near the 2k price mark or they will be such a long wait to get one i wont be able to wait that long.....suppose i could put an order in for one for next year now...:rolleyes: ..mind you not if i have to put up the full amount in advance i wont..lol...or is it just a deposit ?...food for thought...

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi Keith :)

Just another thought while on the subject, but is it possible to change the rear sprocket of the Quando for a smaller one (ie less teeth), to give you a higher gear to pedal in better matched to the 'cruising speed' of the motor?

In flattish terrain that would allow you to easily pedal at top motor speed & boost your range somewhat too, with no downside of being geared too high for hills to concern you :).

What do you think? I think the Quando uses a BMX freewheel thread, so if you can find a smaller sprocket to fit then I don't see why it shouldn't work?

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not possible Stuart, it already has the smallest BMX freewheel made, the 14 tooth. The chainwheel change as I did on the Q bike is an option, though it means losing the full chainguard.

Incidentally, the original Quando had an 18 tooth freewheel giving a 54" fixed gear, the 14 tooth bring it up to nearly 70" being a huge improvement.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Not possible Stuart, it already has the smallest BMX freewheel made, the 14 tooth. The chainwheel change as I did on the Q bike is an option, though it means losing the full chainguard.

Incidentally, the original Quando had an 18 tooth freewheel giving a 54" fixed gear, the 14 tooth bring it up to nearly 70" being a huge improvement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

rather a shame an all...ironically though i have also bought a brompton 3 speed for my journeys where i will now catch the bus for the last 9 miles instead of riding my bike and being passed by 2 buses, could not even think about getting Quando on a bus..having been out on brompton today find that 3rd gear on the flat will just about certainly be faster then the Quando...which was a shock to me, and also felt quite fun to get pedeling again..will not be doing the 9 mile stretch on it though, its not that much fun...Quando will be kept for all the work jobs, and carrying ect...dare say will even be carrying my brompton on it too...:eek: i have this terrible feeling i might get the itch to find out about the Nano motor for it soon.:eek: ..i hope not..lol

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
I personally think that e-biking is really healthy for lots of reasons, for myself it means I get to have total "me-time" on my ride to and from work, I find it's a good way to clear my mind as you do have to concentrate on the road, and to think about nice things.

I pedal as hard as I feel like at the time and try only to use the electric sparingly, however, I do find it hard to pedal totally without any electric as I'm usually carrying a medium load. I'm sure that it helps tone my legs and rear and it reduces my appetite when I do cycle. It certainly stops me snacking on the way home. There is a very tempting vending machine right by my bus stop at the hospital where I work and when the bus is late, as it often is when I decide to go by bus, the chocolate bars seem to jump straight out into my pocket to soothe the journey home! Whereas when cycling it's straight out to the bike shed, load up and off I go, sailing past all the stationary traffic and people waiting at bus stops.

For my husband it has been a life saver, he absolutely loves the freedom of his bike, he pedals when he can with all his ailments, and it seriously helps him exercise with his rheumatoid arthritis and heart conditions he feels this is helping him to maintain his weight and it is his only form of sustained exercise as he is unable to walk very far. The bike also gets him out and about to interact with people he would not normally see during the day as we live in a quiet area (well it is quiet out of season time) and this in turn raises his spirits.

Best of all we enjoy our weekend trips together which again keeps us both out of the armchair, and the kitchen, so even tho' we are not cycling totally under our own steam, we are out there in the fresh air and moving around regularly.

Some of my colleagues at work have said that e-biking does not count like conventional cycling, however, I have learnt to ignore them. It's usually those that don't cycle who make such comments.

If only the weather was more predictable, and in particular, dry every morning and evening when I go to and from work !!! - however, if it never rained there would not be so many beautiful things to see and smell on my journey.

I have never been to a gym, I used to go to dance aerobics years ago, however, I never seem to have the time or energy these days and with my bad foot I find cycling is within my capability, it is also wonderful to incorporate my exercise into my commute to work.

Jeanette

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007

Stuart.
Hi Stuart
So true, but wish more people had actually heard of electric bikes?
I have lost count of the times when people ask questions and are totally unaware they are out there :D

LOL, well my terrain isn't terrible, I just have a couple of shortish steepies, but fun going back the other way :D

Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I

If only the weather was more predictable, and in particular, dry every morning and evening when I go to and from work !!! - however, if it never rained there would not be so many beautiful things to see and smell on my journey.

I have never been to a gym, I used to go to dance aerobics years ago, however, I never seem to have the time or energy these days and with my bad foot I find cycling is within my capability, it is also wonderful to incorporate my exercise into my commute to work.

Jeanette
Well said Jeanette!
I agree with the unpredictable weather problem and how much rainfall we have had over the last 2 summers beggars belief :( I just wish it wouldn't rain so often :) But yes rain is what keeps England green I guess?

Me too regards exercise and rely on my rides to keep my legs toned and I am actually sure that the excersise helps my bad back in a funny sort of way as it must work on the muscles surrounding the lower back and I don't seem to have so many really bad episodes which is great :D
Regards
Mandy

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
So true, but wish more people had actually heard of electric bikes?
I have lost count of the times when people ask questions and are totally unaware they are out there :D
Yes me too: they are always surprised! I think unless people have stumbled upon one in real life, or perhaps have a keen interest in all things bikes, they're really not likely to be aware of them. The poorer suitability for general riding of many UK bikes in the last few decades probably hasn't helped, that leading to a growing ignorance of whats a good bike in the first place & reducing the number of regular cyclists, and the apparently increasingly unfriendly road traffic especially in cities isn't conducive either I feel.

I only discovered them because one day I thought it would be a good idea to motorise a bike, searched the web & bobs your uncle. :D

Stuart.

Last edited: