ebike battery explodes

C

Cyclezee

The rider said to an interviewer that the battery exploded, he worked for a courier service and had called the fire brigade.

The lady didn't see the incident, but was asked by a bystander for bucket of water.

End of story.

There didn't seem any urgency to deal with incident or get those cars out of the way.

It appears to be some kind of load carrying cargo bike, but unidentifiable.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
No further details available for free I'm afraid.

The German text just states that you need to log in to a subscription news service to get the story in more detail:

"Battery explodes: electric bike goes up in flames

Now read on ...

With an online subscription to the Hamburg Abendblatts you have full access to the ePaper, on all the articles and to the online archive.Read more »
"

edit - Cyclezee beat me to it, and found more information than I could !

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
is the bike this Bullit cargo bike?

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Still prefer to be sitting above a battery than a petrol tank

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Could be worse if it's on your downtube come to think of it ... nicely angled towards nether regions. Ouch !

Does anyone know where you can get some good heat resistant insulating packing foam, preferably with flame retardant qualities but that's not essential ? I don't expect for one minute that it would help if a battery decided to explode but I'd like to use some in certain key places in my box and don't really know where to start.

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Could be worse if it's on your downtube come to think of it ... nicely angled towards nether regions. Ouch !

Does anyone know where you can get some good heat resistant insulating packing foam, preferably with flame retardant qualities but that's not essential ? I don't expect for one minute that it would help if a battery decided to explode but I'd like to use some in certain key places in my box and don't really know where to start.
Or maybe a pair of armoured longjohns
Armored protection under your jeans.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
The rider said to an interviewer that the battery exploded, he worked for a courier service and had called the fire brigade.

The lady didn't see the incident, but was asked by a bystander for bucket of water.

End of story.

There didn't seem any urgency to deal with incident or get those cars out of the way.

It appears to be some kind of load carrying cargo bike, but unidentifiable.
Well first of all I am happy that the man is OK thank GOD and secondly, let us hope that the bike had belong to the company and not his own personal means of transport.

Mountainsport.

C

Cyclezee

No further details available for free I'm afraid.

The German text just states that you need to log in to a subscription news service to get the story in more detail:

"Battery explodes: electric bike goes up in flames

Now read on ...

With an online subscription to the Hamburg Abendblatts you have full access to the ePaper, on all the articles and to the online archive.Read more »
"

edit - Cyclezee beat me to it, and found more information than I could !
I just listened to what was being said in the video and my seldom used German came back to me.

I am actually quite fluent after a couple of Pils:eek:

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Good thinking..

My spoken word is limited to things like "achtung" and "hande hoche" :rolleyes:

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire

How about a fire blanket Alex at least would slow things down?
:)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I just listened to what was being said in the video and my seldom used German came back to me.

I am actually quite fluent after a couple of Pils:eek:
More than poor old Mark was, at Eden when confronted by an apparently irate fraulein shouting "Ausgang! - Ausgang!!" And seemingly shaking with rage at his inability to understand.:p

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
More than poor old Mark was, at Eden when confronted by an apparently irate fraulein shouting "Ausgang! - Ausgang!!" And seemingly shaking with rage at his inability to understand.:p
German's about the only European language where, even when talking normally to each other, the bystander might think they were about to invade Poland again.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
German's about the only European language where, even when talking normally to each other, the bystander might think they were about to invade Poland again.
Someone was bound to mention the war in this thread.

Not that I'm any better.

I saw a party of German tourists taking photos of Durham Cathedral the other day.

I was tempted to observe the only reason the building is still there for them to admire is the inability of their bomb aimers to hit it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I saw a party of German tourists taking photos of Durham Cathedral the other day.

I was tempted to observe the only reason the building is still there for them to admire is the inability of their bomb aimers to hit it.
Or perhaps it was too valuable a landmark in those pre-GPS and flight radar days when one navigated by sight? Tall easily identified structures were very useful then.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Or perhaps it was too valuable a landmark in those pre-GPS and flight radar days when one navigated by sight? Tall easily identified structures were very useful then.
Could be.

There are stories locally of the Germans flying over the cathedral, probably on their way to/from Sunderland, which was a target because of the shipyards.

Another story, which may or may not be true, is when a few bombs were dropped near Durham the cathedral was shrouded in mist, leading Christians to cite divine intervention.