Ebike charging using Street EV chargers for electric cars

Majority

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 23, 2020
I think the problem is one of frequency of use. It's one thing to set it up with a pub or cafe, but if they then don't see anyone coming in to charge or that happening so infrequently they think it a dud scheme and take down the sign.

It really needs the sort of strong backing that the huge car charging network has now, but with no money to be made that isn't likely.
The problem is that people want to make quick money fast.
This should be treated like a long term project to support PEVs (ebikes, escooters, electric unicycles etc..) with no big investments by everyone, like I said: P2P.
I live in Europe and in some countries we have some charging points solutions here and there like this one: https://bike-energy.com/en/ the problem is that they can't cover the place you want to go, in fact I've never seen one, and I live and work in switzerland, they have it in just some lucky spots on some lucky countries (France, Belgic, Switzerland, Germany...)

So here is my idea:

For now we make a shared map on google mymaps, here, I've created one: http://bit.ly/P2P-CP
this map will be open to anyone for adding new charging points anywhere in the world!
Remember this is a P2P map so we need a lot of support from everyone, I will also share my charging points,
and If you will be close to my town, and if i'm available I will be glad to charge your ebike on my private porperty, the idea is sharing not make business because we will never get there fast.

If you don't like to share you can charge a small fee per hour or per charge, the rules are up to the charging spot owners

If this simple idea grows enough, then I will do a proper app for Android and iphone with online payment support with multi lang support for free

So, if anyone want to join the development please contact me.

Sorry the OP for hijack this thread, maybe i will make a new one?

Reactions: snafu and flecc

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
The reality remains that e-bikes use such a small amount of energy that even a battery holding three quarters of a "Unit" only costs pence to fully recharge. Thus a partial top up has even less value, and still yields several 10s of miles.
Unless the business model is based on massive exploitation in reselling electrical energy, there simply is not enough revenue on selling a few pence worth. Here, under present law, a reseller can't mark up electrical energy reselling, let alone by 1000s of percent.
I also feel even if ever allowed to exploit cyclist on buying energy, cyclist are the sort not readily open to massively overpaying for things? Most of us will plan carefully enough not to need to use recharging sites that exploit us.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
cyclist are the sort not readily open to massively overpaying for things?
I think many cyclists (happily?) overpay for their cycles and even more for their accessories.

I think you can charge for access to electricity, rather than charge for the electricity itself. Isn't that what campsites regularly do?

Reactions: Majority

Majority

Dec 23, 2020
The reality remains that e-bikes use such a small amount of energy that even a battery holding three quarters of a "Unit" only costs pence to fully recharge. Thus a partial top up has even less value, and still yields several 10s of miles.
Unless the business model is based on massive exploitation in reselling electrical energy, there simply is not enough revenue on selling a few pence worth. Here, under present law, a reseller can't mark up electrical energy reselling, let alone by 1000s of percent.
I also feel even if ever allowed to exploit cyclist on buying energy, cyclist are the sort not readily open to massively overpaying for things? Most of us will plan carefully enough not to need to use recharging sites that exploit us.
I know it's illegal to sell energy from your house but If you think about it, you don't need to sell energy...
how about sell a service like airbnb for ebikes? just sell an "accommodation" for some hours and electric outlets are included.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This should be treated like a long term project to support PEVs (ebikes, escooters, electric unicycles etc..) with no big investments by everyone, like I said: P2P.
I live in Europe and in some countries we have some charging points solutions here and there like this one: https://bike-energy.com/en/ the problem is that they can't cover the place you want to go, in fact I've never seen one, and I live and work in switzerland, they have it in just some lucky spots on some lucky countries (France, Belgic, Switzerland, Germany...)

So here is my idea:

For now we make a shared map on google mymaps, here, I've created one: http://bit.ly/P2P-CP
this map will be open to anyone for adding new charging points anywhere in the world!
Remember this is a P2P map so we need a lot of support from everyone, I will also share my charging points,
and If you will be close to my town, and if i'm available I will be glad to charge your ebike on my private porperty, the idea is sharing not make business because we will never get there fast.

If you don't like to share you can charge a small fee per hour or per charge, the rules are up to the charging spot owners

If this simple idea grows enough, then I will do a proper app for Android and iphone with online payment support with multi lang support for free

Rather like the Members Map we already have in this pedelecs site then.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you can charge for access to electricity, rather than charge for the electricity itself. Isn't that what campsites regularly do?

The car charging point companies already resell their units of electricity with very large profit margins to build their networks.

Reactions: Majority

Majority

Dec 23, 2020
Rather like the Members Map we already have in this pedelecs site then.
I think you missed the memo, I will make an app for Android and iphone for free
I will need to have full access to the google my maps admin account to parse the data to the app in the future
unless the guy who made the Members Map is an app developper and is whilling to develope the app himself?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
unless the guy who made the Members Map is an app developper and is whilling to develope the app himself?
Long gone I'm afraid. The original members map administrators left pedelecs long ago and I am the only one left updating it, originally only as a volunteer to help them. As I'm not the administrator I've no idea how to admit anyone else to help or how to get a replacement for myself since at 84 I won't be around much longer.

Majority

Dec 23, 2020
Long gone I'm afraid. The original members map administrators left pedelecs long ago and I am the only one left updating it, originally only as a volunteer to help them. As I'm not the administrator I've no idea how to admit anyone else to help or how to get a replacement for myself since at 84 I won't be around much longer.
Sorry about that my friend.
I will also add shared geoposition to my app, so everyone can share their position realtime if they want.

Reactions: flecc

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
No one is going to get rich selling electricity to e-bike users. It's more of a loss leader, someone will come into a coffee shop because they can recharge their battery pack there and they will buy a coffee at the same time. Or, a major supermarket might offer e-bike charging while you shop.

I think for individuals who provide a place where travellers can "borrow" a socket for a few hours would get payment in kind, some kind of gift, rather than a few pence for the electricity used.

• Agree
Reactions: Ocsid and Majority

Majority

Dec 23, 2020
No one is going to get rich selling electricity to e-bike users. It's more of a loss leader, someone will come into a coffee shop because they can recharge their battery pack there and they will buy a coffee at the same time. Or, a major supermarket might offer e-bike charging while you shop.

I think for individuals who provide a place where travellers can "borrow" a socket for a few hours would get payment in kind, some kind of gift, rather than a few pence for the electricity used.
I agree 100% with you, this is not like big corporations getting rich with their powerfull charging stations for electric cars, offering ebikes charges is even less expensive to the store owner than "free wifi".

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Kids charge up their mobiles phones in shopping malls and in the entrances to large supermarkets, there's wall sockets all over if you look hard they're put there for the cleaners to power-up vacuums.
It's been going on for years done it myself a few times, it's known as Guerrilla Charging.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I have used a socket at an eatery, and recently at one in Emsworth, "The Greenhouse Cafe", saw a group of four e bikers do just the same. Clearly this was pre arranged and they came with short 4 way extension lead and their individual chargers.
The group two couples, were doing a long distance coastal ride, coming that day on from the Isle of Wight and going through to Brighton. Would have loved to have been doing the same.
I can't see anyone would have issues in coffee shops and the like where mains is provided for laptops tablets etc.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria

So here is my idea:

Added free charge point near me in Austria.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Kids charge up their mobiles phones in shopping malls and in the entrances to large supermarkets, there's wall sockets all over if you look hard they're put there for the cleaners to power-up vacuums.
It's been going on for years done it myself a few times, it's known as Guerrilla Charging.

You have to be careful in some places. In the UK there are some arcane laws about illegal extraction of electricity, and people have been prosecuted for plugging in without permission.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Yes of course Wheezy you must ask permission first before plugging into someone else's electricity supply.
Young people do it all the time though.....ah what it is to be young :)

Reactions: WheezyRider

fl2021

Feb 21, 2021
Has anyone here ever used a BP Chargemaster Station for an ebike? Reason I asked there's a location near where I want to go bikepacking (once lockdowns are eased) that apparently has a 3 pin plug, I'm wondering if these are safe to charge ebikes from?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need to check the charge rate amps, it is likely to be a min of 8 -12 amps which will knacker your cells. They may even burn.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
You need to check the charge rate amps, it is likely to be a min of 8 -12 amps which will knacker your cells. They may even burn.
Huh? Your charger will regulate the charge current just as it does when plugged in to any other 3-pin electrical socket.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Huh? Your charger will regulate the charge current just as it does when plugged in to any other 3-pin electrical socket.
Possibly:
Potentially the level could be so low the station will not recognise it as a "proper" charge, from being some sort of fault?