Ebike in Torrentail Rain

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Hi

Can I ask what your experiences in riding your ebike in wet weather,just yesterday it was supposed to be cloudy only in Durham but it poured unexpectedly.I was drenched as well as my pride and joy KHS middrive.I was worried sick while riding home that I will besubjected to some sort of elecrical nightmare so I hurrying up home.I know Bafang bbso1 is water resistant,but cant keep worrying that the system will ground up electrically and i am exposed to 36 volts and so much wattage.I am particulary worried about my throttle so I was trying to cover it with my gloves,I did plan ahead for moisture so covered the c965 display with cling film and left the camera exposed as I have ridden it in severe wet weather.It was my first time riding Ebike in severe wet weather and I was so glad I arrived alive.

Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generally e bikes are ok to ride in rain however not always good idea to go through deep water esp with hub motors, an old style cape may be useful for future riding in very wet weather. Not any chance of shock as the main source of power is the battery which is protected by a fuse so this will go 1st if any problems occur, other components brakes,throttle etc ,etc are fed by 5v max so nothing to worry about, bike and rider are earthed very well by lots of rubber. Problems seem to arise when they are left in the rain for long spells with out protection. I ride one of mine 300 + days a year to work come any weather and nothing has gone wrong or happened.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Generally e bikes are ok to ride in rain however not always good idea to go through deep water esp with hub motors, an old style cape may be useful for future riding in very wet weather. Not any chance of shock as the main source of power is the battery which is protected by a fuse so this will go 1st if any problems occur, other components brakes,throttle etc ,etc are fed by 5v max so nothing to worry about, bike iand rider are earthed very well by lots of rubber. Problems seem to arise when they are left in the rain for long spells with out protection. I ride one of mine 300 + days a year to work come any weather and nothing has gone wrong or happened.
The current modern crank drive units are generally very well sealed against rain and rarely suffer. I've actually ridden through a flooded road section with the Panasonic crank unit under water and running perfectly, only my feet and footwear getting a thorough soaking.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My BBS has been through deep water without issue and even a strip down for regrease showed no sign of water. I did mention specifically hubs as they have the cable entering from the axle so moisture /water can get in.

Reactions: trex

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
The current modern crank drive units are generally very well sealed against rain and rarely suffer. I've actually ridden through a flooded road section with the Panasonic crank unit under water and running perfectly, only my feet and footwear getting a thorough soaking.
I wonder if anyone had done this with the BBSO1.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
off topic Nealh, how often would you strip and regrease for good maintenance

thanks

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
All the crank drives are well protected against water ingress. The only entry point is the bottom bracket, water has to go through two rubber shields at either side of the ball bearing and collects at the bottom of the gear box.
No chance of water getting into the electrics unless you submerge the motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mechaniker posted prev that some units lacked grease on the assembly causing corrosion on the BB drive shaft and may affect the bearings. As a precaution I dismantled mine as per his great instructions and found no issue as mine had been well lubed, on reassembly I did l blob some more grease on. I have removed the motor side cover and al looked nice dry and sound inside. Having now done this I'm confident no more checking is necessary unless I feel an issue occurring.

DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002 (3).JPG

DSCF0005.JPG

These pics show greasing was good also need to check the end bearings have their seals/covers well greased for added protection , last pic in order or outer bearing, 1st lock nut ,seal and 2nd locknut. There is also another inner bearing not shown.

Last edited:

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
...... an old style cape may be useful for future riding in very wet weather.......
I'll second that.

I used to be worried about the lcd display and throttle, but I'd forgotten that when riding in a real downpour my old fashioned cycle cape covers the handlebars completely.

As an aside, I had tried one of the newer "showerproof" lightweight cycle jackets, and found it bl**dy useless, quickly soaking through and leaving my legs open to the elements.

I went back to my 30 year old trusty low tech cycle cape and I'm back to dry clothes and no sweating. :)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have ridden my BBS02 through a major thunderstorm without any problems.
I also regularly ride through a ford at Hamsterley forest that comes up over the motor and its never been a problem either.

Reactions: flecc

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
i shat the bed the first time i got caught in a torrential downpour on my Woosh Krieger, both for the sake of my electrics (which shrugged it off without a trouble) and for fear of taking a 36V 20AH hit through the bike to my knackers!

thankfully i discovered my bike is weather proof, my clothes were not.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I went back to my 30 year old trusty low tech cycle cape and I'm back to dry clothes and no sweating. :)
Yep, I had one as a youngster...and a sou'wester! I bought myself a new one about a year ago, still unused I'm afraid as I try not to cycle in the rain.

They didn't disappear because they didn't work. Rather, they simply faded away when cycling became replaced by driving or motorcycling. Of course, technology has moved on and the textile industry has produced an endless array of waterproof, breathable fabrics in the shape of jackets, coats and trousers which are actually more fashion-statement than functional, selling in huge numbers because of the brand names one cannot be seen without!

Capes are great, fit for purpose and comply with the ethos of the old adage, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'

Tom

Reactions: robert44 and flecc

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
i shat the bed the first time i got caught in a torrential downpour on my Woosh Krieger, both for the sake of my electrics (which shrugged it off without a trouble) and for fear of taking a 36V 20AH hit through the bike to my knackers!

thankfully i discovered my bike is weather proof, my clothes were not.
36 volts won't even tickle your fancy so no worries there. Amperage is not relevant in this case. The 20ah of your battery is a measure of it's capacity, ie it will deliver 20 amps for 1 hour or pro rata.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It would just make you peddle faster.