ebike mid-drive kit without throttle?

ajefford

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 31, 2015
Hi all,

I've thought i'd decided on a befang ebike 8fun mid drive kit (250w for road) and thought because it was pedelec/assisted there was no throttle, but in some places i see it has a thumb throttle or a twist throttle, in others it has just a little +/- button and power off (in both cases there is also the LCD obviously).

problem is we want a mid drive kit WITHOUT a throttle, the +/- buttons would be fine or just changing the setting on the lcd would be fine,as my partner cannot hold open a throttle so it is actually totally redundant.

i've emailed a few uk suppliers about this and they all insist the befang comes with a throttle and it must be connected.

should i be looking at a different kit?

the ebikes we hired in europe had no throttle's just the +/- buttons and LCD.

any help much appreciated!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you don't need the throttle, don't fit it.
Otherwise, the kits come with plug covers to protect the electrics from rain. The throttle if fitted can be unplugged in a jiffy. You remove the plug cover to install the throttle. Keep the plug covers in a safe place. If you do fit the throttle and take the bike to the Spain for example, just pull the plug and refit the cover.

Reactions: ajefford

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
All kits (hubs as well) I have seen come with a throttle, you don't need to mount it. If the UK suppliers have configured their kit to need one ask them to reconfigure without it. The other solution is to ask them to lend you a programming cable so that you can do it yourself.

ajefford

Dec 31, 2015
Thanks trex - not sure why the UK supplier kept telling me in email that it had to be connected but just dont use it.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't know the answer to that, perhaps just old habit to keep cables away from rain. The throttle is now illegal so it should be left out of the kits.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
problem is we want a mid drive kit WITHOUT a throttle, the +/- buttons would be fine or just changing the setting on the lcd would be fine,as my partner cannot hold open a throttle so it is actually totally redundant.
Can confirm that running a BBSxx without a throttle is actually pretty good.
It's easy to match the speed and gear of the bike with the correct PAS level, by using the +/- buttons as you mention.
I've got a kit with the Bafang C965 display, and the control pad can be positioned close to your left thumb. Change gears on the right, change PAS levels on the left... Easy and intuitive :)

Bafang C965.jpg

Last edited:

ajefford

Dec 31, 2015
Thank you FORDULIKE - thats awesome, exactly what i wanted to hear.

Do you mind me asking where you bought the kit from?

Malcolm Eden

Just Joined
Jan 20, 2016
I was in the same position as yourself before Christmas. I really wanted a Bafang 250w mid drive unit but with no throttle. I ended up calling Electric Bike Conversions and the young chap I spoke to ended up selling me their own mid drive unit, not Bafang but by the company that made their hub motors.
It doesn't come with a throttle and is perfect for what I needed. I didn't want to run the risk of breaking it when fitting so got them to do it for me onto my stepthrough. This has made me feel 68 years young and not 68 years old. End result is perfect for my needs and knees.

ajefford

Dec 31, 2015
thanks for the input malcome - might give them a bell too

well i have emailed two uk suppliers now (woosh & eclipse bikes) and both replied back that there is a throttle and it must be connected - unless they are confusing the little pad with +/- button as a throttle -

either way i might just have to take the punt and buy from one of them and hope its the same as the above descriptions and can be used without....

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The woosh GSM motor without controller does not need a throttle. The kit with internal controller does need one.

The Bafang can be programmed to not require a throttle, eclipse should be able to do that. Or you need a programming cable and you do it yourself.

Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

filboov66

Apr 3, 2012
Bradford. West Yorkshire.
Bafang BBS01/2 kit doesn't require a throttle if you don't want to fit it. There is nothing in the programming that can be configured to say it needs a throttle. Basically, the system does not know whether there is or isn't a throttle connected until you actually use one (if fitted). The picture shows the only available parameters that can be changed for the throttle.bafang program.JPG

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
What's wrong with fitting the throttle but simply you not using it?

Department for Transport guidelines Nov. 2015 referring to the Jan 2016 amendments. The section on use of throttle reads as follows:

"Power assistance - "Twist and Go" Because of the particular benefits for elderly and disabled users, pedal cycles providing electrical assistance without use of the pedals - usually called "Twist and Goes" - are included in the above GB classification provided they are capable of pedal operation and comply with the above restrictions on maximum motor power and assistance cut-off speed.

However, under European law5 new "Twist and Go" vehicles will, from January 2016, have to meet a range of technical requirements before they can be used on roads. This will normally be established by "type approval" at the manufacturing stage but importers and individuals will be able to seek an individual approval for vehicles that have not been type approved.

The full document can be viewed here:
http://www.brightonebikes.co.uk/uploads/5/5/9/9/55994159/throttle_electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles.pdf

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Please read this post by Flecc before jumping to conclusion:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/1-1-2016-todays-change-in-the-law.23007/page-9#post-290873

Ebikes with throttle can be sold until 1/1/2018.

3.2 Requirements of European type approval for vehicles sold after 1 Jan 2018
From 1 Jan 2018 all EAPC which are of the “twist and go” type will need a full type approval to 168/2013. This encompasses a long list of requirements, on lighting, brakes, and so on, although in many cases “bicycle” CEN standards are accepted and low speed vehicles are exempt from some requirements.

I think I arrived at the correct conclusion, that's as I understood it, thanks.
Seems odd to consider the elderly and disabled for only a couple of years then just forget about their previously identified needs?
Just seems daft, it's about making cycling more accessible to more people and changing the way people travel to steer away from taking the car everywhere.
Thanks trex :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think the intention is to put in place proper testing facilities before enforcing the rules. Vendors are still under obligation to either remove the throttle or pay for type approval.

Yes, thank you for your replies on this, much appreciated.
I shall get on to Bafang after the New year jollies and see what (if any) plans they have to develop their products so as to ensure EAPC conformity in the UK/European Union come 2018.
Unless that is also already posted here somewhere :)

I think the intention is to put in place proper testing facilities before enforcing the rules. Vendors are still under obligation to either remove the throttle or pay for type approval.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I shall get on to Bafang after the New year jollies and see what (if any) plans they have to develop their products so as to ensure EAPC conformity in the UK/European Union come 2018.
As makers of motor units they cannot comply. Type approval etc is only done on complete pedelec bicycles, the tests cannot be carried out on motors only.

It's the way in which pedelec manufacturers employ the Bafang products and also other items that determines compliance for testing.

Last edited:
Yes, lovely. Thanks flecc.

As makers of motor units they cannot comply. Type approval is only done on complete pedelec bicycles, the tests cannot be carried out on motors only.

It's the way in which pedelec manufacturers employ the Bafang products and also other items that determines compliance for type approval testing.