Ebike Problems?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
are you sure that is the specification for a powabyke 24 speed commuter...it says 24 volt ? currie electro-drive system ? diamond frame ? 7 speed ?
You have a point, if it's a rear rack mounted battery then that must be a beer cooler in the middle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc a question; I understand that powabyke do not use a BMS in their lithium X bykes, if they don't need one how can it be an essential part of the battery
I've never heard of a Powabyke using the Currie Electrodrive motor since that's the side of rear wheel motor. There's also a rear hub Currie motor which isn't used in any Powabyke, and I can only see a front hub motor on their links. Maybe it's a new motor model supplied by Currie and using the old electrodrive name, since I know Powabyke were researching the use of other motors so I can't comment without knowing more.

Again I don't know the Powabyke lithium battery specs, but as Mussels says the battery is very small and the use of lithium in small cell applications like RC is often BMS free. However, every e-bike lithium battery I do know of uses BMS which at the present stage of cell development is considered essential by all the major battery manufacturers where large cells are in use. Of course the BMS circuits could be mounted externally from the battery case, but never are since it would need a multiple connection from it into the battery case which would make no sense, and in any case it would remain essential to the battery design.

Last edited: