Ebike wheel wont stay on

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
When I get some money I'm going to buy a gasless welder so I can weld my frame and work on it I have never used a welder so time to learn haha
It says on the Internet that welding aluminum is very difficult to do and cause allot of mess. Is this correct would I be able to weld some steel plate onto my aluminum bike frame?

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
When I get some money I'm going to buy a gasless welder so I can weld my frame and work on it I have never used a welder so time to learn haha
It says on the Internet that welding aluminum is very difficult to do and cause allot of mess. Is this correct would I be able to weld some steel plate onto my aluminum bike frame?
Don't waste your money before you understand what welding is and what a welder is capable of and no, you can't weld aluminium to steel

Reactions: Wicky

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
Thanks. Also I seen that you can get these aluminum brazing rods that I could use to perform a kind of weld? Or whatever its called lol would this work or would it be too weak

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Thanks. Also I seen that you can get these aluminum brazing rods that I could use to perform a kind of weld? Or whatever its called lol would this work or would it be too weak
Not for anything that requires any strength, ok for fixing model aeroplane parts together but not bikes

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A skilled welder with the right equipment would probably have trouble fixing your frame. With no experience and the wrong equipment, you have zero chance, and it's not possible to weld steel to aluminium.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
When I get some money I'm going to buy a gasless welder so I can weld my frame and work on it
Go for it, what could possibly go wrong!
Once you’re mastered that you could buy a tube bender and before you know it you’ll be building your own frames;)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
It's good to know our limitations but if we don't occasionally push them a bit we don't progress, yes go for it!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It's good to know our limitations but if we don't occasionally push them a bit we don't progress, yes go for it!
Learning by mistakes is very valuable, but it is going to be very uncomfortable when applied to a 3kw motor in an experimentally patched frame.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Learning by mistakes is very valuable, but it is going to be very uncomfortable when applied to a 3kw motor in an experimentally patched frame.
I just meant the learning to weld bit, I don't agree with breaking the law:)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I just meant the learning to weld bit, I don't agree with breaking the law:)
I wasn't meaning the legal uncomfort; more the physical one as the frame falls apart and the wheel spins out of the dropouts. (more really a comment for the very brave OP, not to D C).

Gliggsy

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
I'm all for people having a go and learning new skills but I speak with experience, 40 years Loydds certified welder, and it's not something one can teach oneself with a welder bought from the Internet, by all means learn to weld, it probably is possible, utube vids etc, to get to some sort of a standard but not to be welding structures that have potential to maim.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and Gringo

Northy

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Hi.
I have a 3000w 48v setup at the moment and I've used it now for a couple of weeks no problems apart from yesterday I accelerated gently from a standstill and my rear wheel came completely out of the dropouts I have tried to fit the wheel again but it's just coming straight off without riding it.
Any ideas on why this is happening I also have a tourqe arm and the wheel is still coming off?
You will have to make some type of bracket that will fit around the axle and the top part of the frame where the wheel mounts, I cobbled one using a piece of flat bar welded to a washer

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
If someone could make me some sort of bracket so I can screw it into my frame easily I am more than happy to buy it from you..
One more thing I need a new bike, so I have 2 in mind but don't know which is best. Either the....
Orbea MX 50 2021.
Trek marlin 5 2021.

I'm probably either going to limit the power output(amps) on the 3000w motor lcd or just buy a 500w motor not sure yet tho. If I decide to use my 3000w motor (restricted) should I install a tourqe arm on both sides just to be safe? Thanks for any replys

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
If someone could make me some sort of bracket so I can screw it into my frame easily I am more than happy to buy it from you..
One more thing I need a new bike, so I have 2 in mind but don't know which is best. Either the....
Orbea MX 50 2021.
Trek marlin 5 2021.

I'm probably either going to limit the power output(amps) on the 3000w motor lcd or just buy a 500w motor not sure yet tho. If I decide to use my 3000w motor (restricted) should I install a tourqe arm on both sides just to be safe? Thanks for any replys
Wouldn't you be better off with a motorbike? It's legally the same as the machine you're building, but structurally sound!

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
Hello again, I realised when I put my rear wheel on today I could be doing it wrong, I put one washer on the outside( both sides) one locking washer on outside both sides and lastly the nuts and wheel fell straight off when tightening.
But for some reason I decided to put the locking washers on the inside and no washers at all just the nuts and seems very tight and not falling off? Any ideas if this will be safe? Thanks

Attachments