Ebike wheel wont stay on

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
Wow thanks for the help I'm glad it's tight in the dropouts then lol its just temporary until I get paid, I'll be getting the Trek Marlin 5 2021 let's see if this fat ass motor fits

dwvl

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2018
Essex, UK
... will it be OK to ride or will my wheel fall off again
Of course it will fall off again... it's a 3000W motor in a bicycle frame! o_O

It might not fall off straight away but it surely will, when the metal becomes sufficiently bent / broken after an amount of use. Have fun, but please stay safe... let us know how you get on :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
Of course it will fall off again... it's a 3000W motor in a bicycle frame! o_O

It might not fall off straight away but it surely will, when the metal becomes sufficiently bent / broken after an amount of use. Have fun, but please stay safe... let us know how you get on :cool:
Thanks for the info bud I'll keep checking my nuts and wheel before I go out lol
And I'm taking it easy now

Scruffydroid

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2020
Looking forward to you buying frame #3 because you are waiting for pay-day before you buy a washer to sort your spacing...? Pretzel-logic.

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
Looking forward to you buying frame #3 because you are waiting for pay-day before you buy a washer to sort your spacing...? Pretzel-logic.
I'm buying a new bike because the one i have is a little bit small so I'm buying a XXL bike plus the bike I just got only cost me £20 so probably shattering into a million pieces XD

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
I'd be very scared to go that speed on my pedelec! I've just broken my dropouts cos I was too lazy to fit the torque arm. Silly me.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Omg! I just read through the rest of this thread, I thought I was going a bit mad with a 1500w motor! I only have a 48v battery so I get 1200w max out of the rear hub motor which is more than enough for me. But as above, I have broken my bike so until I get my lazy ass into gear it'll be taxis to work for me.

Silly question....now that my wheel keeps popping out, would fitting torque arms either side and actually fitting the other washers correctly (I found out how to do that just the other day) work or do I just get a new frame? It's a Giant Stance full suspension MTB which I think is alloy of some type.

I don't think any bike shops will touch it since its an ebike conversion, although Halfords say on their website that they're happy to do work on the mechanical side of any bike but they won't touch the electrics, which is fine by me...I can do the electrics. I can usually do the mechanics as well, just been a lazy boy.

I've done a wee bit of welding - wouldn't recommend anything like an ebike as a first go - you'll either kill yourself or someone else or both if you don't get it right. Maybe try a bit of sculpture or something?

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
It's a Giant Stance full suspension MTB which I think is alloy of some type.
Stick a magnet on it, if it don't stick, it's aluminium - Mayb consider a lower wattage motor thats geared not direct drive or a steel frame but t-arms are always a safe bet, there's no guarantee you'll not spin out even on steel - there is plenty of threads on here of ppl in the same boat as you, use the search at the top & gain some insight - I run 48v@13a on a 250w geared hub (less attention from 5o) and can clear 8 miles across town in 10 mins.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Stick a magnet on it, if it don't stick, it's aluminium - Mayb consider a lower wattage motor thats geared not direct drive or a steel frame but t-arms are always a safe bet, there's no guarantee you'll not spin out even on steel - there is plenty of threads on here of ppl in the same boat as you, use the search at the top & gain some insight - I run 48v@13a on a 250w geared hub (less attention from 5o) and can clear 8 miles across town in 10 mins.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Yes, with hindsight it was a stupid idea to get such a big motor - it scares the crap out of me when I go that fast on a bike that was never designed for it. A lower powered motor with a longer range is a much better solution. I'm able to set the power so I can reduce it to a more appropriate setting as long as I can get it fixed. I see there's some kind of putty that sets like metal that is available, I only saw it on an American YouTube video but I don't know if there is a UK version of it. Answers on a postcode....!

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Sorry guys, a quick Google of "putty sets like metal" returned plenty of results. I will try them one by one and see if any of them do what they claim on the tin. Once I have an answer I'll report back!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sorry guys, a quick Google of "putty sets like metal" returned plenty of results. I will try them one by one and see if any of them do what they claim on the tin. Once I have an answer I'll report back!
Like which "Metal"? Lead? Steel? What would happen to you, if it breaks off while you're on the bike? :eek:

• Agree

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
Apparently at least as strong as steel. I'll be the Guinea pig! It might not come to that though, if I can only find that spanner...!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Apparently at least as strong as steel. I'll be the Guinea pig! It might not come to that though, if I can only find that spanner...!
I'm hoping you'll find that spanner!

Is it more or less brittle than steel? Will it fatigue and fail suddenly? Peronally, I wouldn't risk metal-like putty for that application - I'd buy a more suitable replacement secondhand frame on fleabay or gummedtree.

You could ask the manufacturer of the metal-like putty, I very much doubt they'll say it's a good idea.

• Agree

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
I've spoken to a guy and he says it has all the same qualities as steel, actually better since it doesn't corrode. But that's obviously not true since you can't weld against it!

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've spoken to a guy and he says it has all the same qualities as steel, actually betters Ince it doesn't corrode.
Will the resins used degrade in UV light, over time exposed to sunlight? At what temperature does it melt? Does it resist petrochemicals? Like I said, I would look to buy a cheap secondhand frame instead, and transfer the bike parts to it. But of course, it's your bike and your choice.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Yep all that cash spent on "metal putty" could, as @guerney rightly says buy a metal frame, in fact the cheapo bike usually stocked in local bike shops for a quick to work & back sales are normally steel circa £150. I will look at my local I am going there 2mo.

Ian C

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2015
I hear what you are saying but I haven't seen a full suspension bike anywhere close to that price point.